Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Comedy Cup - Round of 16 DRAW

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right, let's get on with it.

I'm going with the format - Winner A vs Runner Up E, Winner B vs Runner Up F etc, following onto Winner E vs Runner Up A.

With that in mind, here are the matchups for the UK Comedy Cup 2014 Round of 16:

The Young Ones
vs Yes, Minister/Prime Minister

Fawlty Towers
vs Red Dwarf

I'm Alan Partridge
vs Bottom

Blackadder
vs The Inbetweeners

Father Ted
vs The Thick Of It

Only Fools & Horses
vs Black Books

The Office
vs Men Behaving Badly

Porridge
vs Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights

So there you have it. Could Men Behaving Badly give The Office some trouble? Who'll come out of Porridge vs Phoenix Nights on top? If The Inbetweeners knocks out Blackadder I might well go home (leave NSC) and take my ball (the tournament) with me.

To see each show's route to the final 16, see my Groups Roundup here: UK Comedy Cup 2014 Group ROUND-UP

First 4 matches will be up later today/tomorrow, and will give the best part of a week to allow people plenty of chance to vote.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Victories for all the home teams

The only possible shock being the final tie of the round.

Stan James have Phoenix night at 7/4 which is fairly reasonable.

Only Fools & Horses backed in for the tournament as joint second favourite at 15/8 with Bet Fred

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, lots of home wins there, you have to pity the likes of Bottom and Phoenix Nights

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Poor draw in my book. WOuld have made much more sense to seed them based on the number of votes or at least % of votes in their group. Based on votes this should have been the line up, much more sensible:

Blackadder 196 (76.56) v Black Books 34 (13.18)
Fawlty Towers 186 (72.09) v Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights 40 (15.63)
I'm Alan Partridge 130 (50) v Bottom 41 (20.60)
The Young Ones 116 (44.96) v Red Dwarf 53 (25.36)
The Office 103 (51.76) v Yes, Minister/Prime Minister 55 (25.82)
Only Fools & Horses 98 (46.89) v The Thick Of It 72 (27.91)
Men Behaving Badly 92 (35.38) v The Inbetweeners 82 (32.80)
Father Ted 89 (41.78) v Porridge 87 (34.80)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poor draw in my book. WOuld have made much more sense to seed them based on the number of votes or at least % of votes in their group. Based on votes this should have been the line up, much more sensible:

Blackadder 196 (76.56) v Black Books 34 (13.18)
Fawlty Towers 186 (72.09) v Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights 40 (15.63)
I'm Alan Partridge 130 (50) v Bottom 41 (20.60)
The Young Ones 116 (44.96) v Red Dwarf 53 (25.36)
The Office 103 (51.76) v Yes, Minister/Prime Minister 55 (25.82)
Only Fools & Horses 98 (46.89) v The Thick Of It 72 (27.91)
Men Behaving Badly 92 (35.38) v The Inbetweeners 82 (32.80)
Father Ted 89 (41.78) v Porridge 87 (34.80)

Why don't you show FIFA that idea? It's all about the luck of the draw in terms of getting a tough or easy group.

I think it's worked out so that we'll see an INCREDIBLY strong quarter finals, and surely that's what we want?

Also, what your suggestion ignores is the relative strength of each group (i.e. in another group OFAH would've gathered more votes, in another Father Ted would've gathered less, etc).

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
You could have put the comedies into two groups of eight and played home and away legs... just sayin'.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Why don't you show FIFA that idea? It's all about the luck of the draw in terms of getting a tough or easy group.

I think it's worked out so that we'll see an INCREDIBLY strong quarter finals, and surely that's what we want?

Also, what your suggestion ignores is the relative strength of each group (i.e. in another group OFAH would've gathered more votes, in another Father Ted would've gathered less, etc).

Hmmm, not so sure you can make the comparison with FIFA as fans aren't voting are they! And FIFA is corrupt!!

Should be avoiding two heavily supported comedies facing each other too early on.

But no doubt it will make no difference to the last four as you say. But I can guarantee Inbetweeners is more popular than some of those that make the last eight.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mellotron is doing a good job in my book. This is the first year of the UKCC and there may be a few tweaks in the future. This is far better than other vote offs, especially the CJTC of the year.

Keep up the good work Mel.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You could have put the comedies into two groups of eight and played home and away legs... just sayin'.

Again, I have no reason to go against the tried and tested WC format that has worked perfectly for decades.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hmmm, not so sure you can make the comparison with FIFA as fans aren't voting are they! And FIFA is corrupt!!

Should be avoiding two heavily supported comedies facing each other too early on.

But no doubt it will make no difference to the last four as you say. But I can guarantee Inbetweeners is more popular than some of those that make the last eight.

Well that was more about the luck of the initial draw. Inbetweeners will be in a higher pot next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here