Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Comedy Cup - Group ROUND UP

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Drama abounded in the group stages, with a couple of pre-tournament contenders crashing out early.

Number of votes shown, then percentage of votes shown in brackets.

Group A saw an easy win for The Young Ones, with Spaced putting up a spirited fight for 2nd, but losing out to The Thick Of It.
===
The Young Ones 116 (44.96)
Spaced 51 (19.77)
The Thick Of It 72 (27.91)
Ever Decreasing Circles 19 (7.36)
===

Group B was only ever going to have one winner, and Fawlty Towers looks strong. Black Books made 2nd place despite a fight from Green Wing.
===
Fawlty Towers 186 (72.09)
Black Books 34 (13.18)

Green Wing 28 (10.85)
Lead Balloon 10 (3.88)
===

Group C gave us our highest 2nd placed scorer, with Men Behaving Badly amassing more points than the Winners of Groups E and H. Partridge strolls through, as expected.
===
I'm Alan Partridge 130 (50)
Men Behaving Badly 92 (35.38)

The Mighty Boosh 26 (10)
Life's Too Short 12 (4.62)
===

Group D saw the highest individual points scorer of the tournament so far, Blackadder blitzing the group and showing what a contender it could be. Phoenix Nights comfortably into second, with Miranda managing the lowest points total of the entire competition.
===
Blackadder 196 (76.56)
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights 40 (15.63)

Miranda 6 (2.34)
The Good Life 14 (5.47)
===

Group E saw Father Ted through safe and sound, with Yes, Minister/PM narrowly edging past The Royle Family, who would've hoped to progress through a weak group.
===
Father Ted 89 (41.78)
The Royle Family 49 (23)
Minder 20 (9.39)
Yes, Minister/Prime Minister 55 (25.82)
===

Group F saw the points shared out below Only Fools & Horses, which topped the group comfortably. Extras performed disappointingly, ending joint last with Gavin & Stacey.
===
Only Fools & Horses 98 (46.89)
Red Dwarf 53 (25.36)

Extras 29 (13.88)
Gavin & Stacey 29 (13.88)
===

Group G was a stroll for The Office, however the real drama unfolded in the battle for 2nd spot, Bottom edging out One Foot...by ONE vote.
===
The Office 103 (51.76)
One Foot In The Grave 40 (20.10)
Bottom 41 (20.60)
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace 15 (7.54)
===

Group H proved to be the death of Peep Show, a programme that surely would've strolled through a few of the other groups. The Inbetweeners has surprised me with its popularity, could it go further?
===
Porridge 87 (34.80)
Peep Show 48 (19.20)
The Inbetweeners 82 (32.80)
The League Of Gentlemen 33 (13.20)
===

Top 5 Points Scorers

1st. Blackadder - 196 points
2nd. Fawlty Towers - 186 points
3rd. I'm Alan Partridge - 130 points
4th. The Young Ones - 116 points
5th. The Office - 103 points

Bottom 5 Points Scorers

1st. Miranda - 6 points
2nd. Lead Balloon - 10 points
3rd. Life's Too Short - 12 points
4th. The Good Life - 14 points
5th. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - 15 points

The Round of 16 featuring:

The Young Ones
Fawlty Towers
I'm Alan Partridge
Blackadder
Father Ted
Only Fools & Horses
The Office
Porridge
Yes, Minister/Prime Minister
Red Dwarf
Bottom
The Inbetweeners
The Thick Of It
Black Books
Men Behaving Badly
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights

to follow soon...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How the hell is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace one of the least voted for? Have people got no sense of humour!

I think it's more that barely anyone's heard of it. Great show, but quite cult.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
A very well organised World Cup comp. Keep up the good work. Don't forget the let the winners know!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How the hell is Garth Marenghi's Darkplace one of the least voted for? Have people got no sense of humour!

I think the issue is that a lot of people (including myself) have never heard of it or seen it.

I have to say I'm mightily disappointed that Peep Show has CRASHED out in the first round, it was never a favourite but given a better draw it could have easily made it far.

I hope everyone has been filling in their WALL CHART.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
How can we possibly choose the best when we have...The Office, Fawlty Towers, I'm Alan Partridge, Bottom, Blackadder, Father Ted in the final sixteen?

It's Madness!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think it's more that barely anyone's heard of it. Great show, but quite cult.

This, it was a little gem that never found its way in to the light. Still, it polled 2 1/2 times as many votes as Miranda, an alleged comedy shown on BBC 1 primetime. BBC take note.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Disappointed that Extras has been knocked out.

Did Psychoville ever get a look in?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Bizarre that Gavin and Stacey didn't go through. Brilliant brilliant show.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Disappointed to see Peep Show and Extras crash out. Time for a root and branch rethink at grass roots level; both shows probably need to look at showing fewer repeats, they've obviously come into the tournament tired.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
This, it was a little gem that never found its way in to the light. Still, it polled 2 1/2 times as many votes as Miranda, an alleged comedy shown on BBC 1 primetime. BBC take note.

It amazes me how it gets millions of viewers as I have never met anybody who watches it and it has to be one of the worst programmes I had the misfortune to watch once

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It amazes me how it gets millions of viewers as I have never met anybody who watches it and it has to be one of the worst programmes I had the misfortune to watch once

Had the misfortune to sit through a couple of episodes of Miranda, the " in " jokes are awful and large parts are painful to watch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here