Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia in todays DM

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Just read that. Not all that interesting to be honest. Maybe that's because it's written by the dm.

Agreed. There's nothing of any note in it. When I saw the picture of Oscar lining up a formation with those coffee cups I was expecting something revealing about our tactics or Oscar's philosophy, but nothing. Poor.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
It used to be the aerial strikes of Palestinian hard-liners, now his chief concern from above is the dispatches of the town’s seagulls.
For Oscar Garcia, manager of Brighton & Hove Albion and former boss of Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel, it makes for a more serene surround.
In a crowded coffee shop a mere goal-kick away from the seafront the former Barcelona midfielder is oblivious to the onlookers - some confused, some captivated - as he improvises to talk tactics.
Cup action: Brighton boss Oscar Garcia talks tactics with Sportsmail in a coffee shop not far from the seafront+7
Cup action: Brighton boss Oscar Garcia talks tactics with Sportsmail in a coffee shop not far from the seafront
Up for the Cup: Having beaten Leeds in the league on Tuesday courtesy of Leonardo Ulloa's winner (pictured), Brighton face Hull in the FA Cup on Monday+7
Up for the Cup: Having beaten Leeds in the league on Tuesday courtesy of Leonardo Ulloa's winner (pictured), Brighton face Hull in the FA Cup on Monday
Dragging coffee cups into position as if manhandling a player on the training ground, he demonstrates the variation in approach of Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho, Johan Cruyff and Sir Bobby Robson.
He has played with, or under, all of them.
He seizes another cup, this time to depict himself. He explains his role in a Barca team alongside the likes of Romario, Ronaldo, Hristo Stoichkov and Luis Figo. This particular cup, however, is soon sidelined.
Winners: Garcia (bottom right) celebrates winning the Spanish Kings Cup after beating Valencia in 1998+7
Winners: Garcia (bottom right) celebrates winning the Spanish Kings Cup after beating Valencia in 1998
‘Oscar the manager would not pick Oscar the player,’ he confesses. ‘I made a mistake when I was a player because I thought that I knew everything.
Great minds: Garcia played under Sir Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho (right) at Barcelona+7
Great minds: Garcia played under Sir Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho (right) at Barcelona
‘It was too easy for me and that was a big mistake. I had a lot of talent and maybe thought I didn’t have to work as hard.
‘I do not want to repeat that mistake as a manager. Everybody said I could have been so much better but as a manager I will be, I will be the best I possibly can’.
In 69 La Liga appearances for Barca he scored 21 times. That statistic is a source of regret for Oscar, serving to highlight his sense of waste.
‘Now, all I want is to be better tomorrow than I am today,’ adds the 40-year-old, the conviction of the delivery suggesting this is his managerial mantra.
And the evidence of his fledgling career does point toward improvement. In one season in Tel Aviv he won the national championship. That was enough to persuade Brighton to appoint him as successor to Gus Poyet last summer.
The Seagulls currently reside just one position and two points outside of the Championship play-off zone, take on Premier League Hull in the last 16 of the FA Cup.
Oscar is in touch with Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho and says: ‘He coached me at Barcelona. He was a very smart guy. We all thought he could be a very good coach and today he is one of the best, him and Guardiola are the top two in the world.
‘I played with Guardiola and he wanted to know everything. He always asked the manager, “Why? Why are we doing this?”.
‘You could tell then he was going to be a top coach, just like you could with Mourinho.’

It was Mourinho and Robson who allowed Garcia and his two brothers - Roger and Genis - to make Barca history when they played together in a Copa Del Rey match.
‘Bobby was a great person but he came at a difficult time replacing Cruyff, who was a God,’ he recalls. ‘But he managed to reach all of the people because he was a fantastic person. The players liked him. During his first team talk he took a pen and wrote our tactics on the dressing-room floor; I don’t know why and we didn’t ask, but he was a good man.’
Cruyff, however, is the manager from whom Oscar took most. ‘Cruyff was the best,’ he smiles. ‘He wasn’t only a coach, he was a teacher. He wanted his players to think about the game.’
Learning from the master: Garcia claims Johan Cruyff, pictured during his spell as Barcelona manager, wasn't just a coach but was also a teacher+7
Learning from the master: Garcia claims Johan Cruyff, pictured during his spell as Barcelona manager, wasn't just a coach but was also a teacher
So what was it like in Tel Aviv when Hamas took aim at the city? ‘There were four or five days of bombing and at first I didn’t know what was happening,’ he says with no hint of anxiety.
‘Very quickly people came to my house and told me everything would be OK, Tel Aviv was a protected city and we were safe.
‘It was a fantastic year. We won the league for the first time in 10 years and I’m very proud of what I achieved.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Oscar-Garcia-talks-mentor.html#ixzz2tNkumSqB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

here is text - the article is mostly pics anyway

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Why does he always look so miserable?

eJFDM.jpg

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I love it when the Mail hating sheep come out. So predictable :wink:

Well when you have a footballing brain in front of you, talking solely to you about formations learned from the best managers ever, and all you do is write a bland fact column with a couple of anecdotes it's lazy, wasted journalism, and smacks of either not understanding the subject, or thinking your audience won't.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
This is about the 4th article on Oscar from papers and they all say exactly the same. Pretty dull to be honest. I liked the pictures though. It's kind of easy to forget what illustrious company he has kept.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well when you have a footballing brain in front of you, talking solely to you about formations learned from the best managers ever, and all you do is write a bland fact column with a couple of anecdotes it's lazy, wasted journalism, and smacks of either not understanding the subject, or thinking your audience won't.

:clap2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here