Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The first openly gay (American) footballer - NFL

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/26119059

This is the story currently vexing the 'talking heads' of American sport.

The potted history being:-

- Michael Sam has finished his college career.
- His basic job is to tackle the QB.
- He's one of the best college defensive prospects.
- He will play in the NFL next season.
- He will be the first openly gay player in the NFL (obviously though not the first gay player)
- He told his college teammates he was gay in August, it remained an open secret throughout campus, but nobody spoke to the press.
- He went public earlier this week.

As opposed to the NBA 'star' last year, Sam is believed to be an excellent player, at the start of his career.
Unlike the now retired BBall player, Jason Collins.
I did a thread about Collins last year, as at one point it seemed as if an amount of players (10+) were going to come out at the same time.

Once again it begs the question, when will one of the gay footballers feel comfortable enough to come out?

I guess this is coincidence but the BBC seem to be covering that point tonight:-

[tweet]434015379866677249[/tweet]

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Homophobia and coming out are two different things.

Personally I don't have the morbid curiosity factor to need to know anyones sexuality. To publisise it would be as weird as having straight players coming out and declaring their straightness.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But in this case they are 2 sides of the same coin.
Without homophobia there would be gay players.

Personally I don't have the morbid curiosity factor to need to know anyones sexuality. To publisise it would be as weird as having straight players coming out and declaring their straightness.
The TV 'talking head' I listen to is liberal, white, old and East Coast Jewish.
Basically pretty near to a European outlook, he's no gun toting, shock and ore, bible bashing Tea Party Republican.

He's of the opinion MS is going to divide down generational lines.
The players, not really caring either way, but the team management and owners (50+) feeling that Sam will be a 'distraction'.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It will be interesting to see if it affects his draft ranking. I have not really thought about who needs a defensive end and what teams can manage the media attention he will bring to start with. Their will be some interesting discussions had with teams and it is here you hope he is picked on talent and not the possible media virus that may follow him around.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Part of me wants to say " Well done for coming out " but part of me wants to say " I'm not really bothered what you do in your spare time, I only care about how good you are and what you bring to the team " .

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

Not attacking you Mr smyjymyjmy but this attitude annoys me and I feel completely misses the point of someone coming out.

First of all, it's about the person coming out, not you. It's not for your entertainment or information. It's about the person in question being able to live their lives instead of a lie.

Second, to draw parallels between someone coming out as gay and someone announcing they are straight is disingenuous. It's not the same at all because being straight is 'normal'. Unless you live in an area with an extremely high concentration of violent gay people, I sincerely doubt you've ever had to pretend your sexuality is something other than it is. This is the life that closeted gay people lead.

It's not about putting their sexuality in your face, it's about saying this is who I am and I'm tired of having to hide it.

Can you imagine what life is like for a young, closeted man having to deal with life in the testosterone charged environment of a US football locker room? At least he won't have to deal with the 'where's your girlfriend?' questions anymore.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can you imagine what life is like for a young, closeted man having to deal with life in the testosterone charged environment of a US football locker room? At least he won't have to deal with the 'where's your girlfriend?' questions anymore.
His team and the campus in general have received massive amounts of praise.
They've all known since August and still nobody 'leaked'.

I listened to Pat Forte being interviewed, a renowned College sports journo, who's son happened to go to Mizzou, and knows Sam.
When Pat asked his son about it, jnr replied 'oh yeah that, we've all known for months'!!!

What might also help Sam is the fact he's a double-hard big b*****d, who's had it very tough.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
His team and the campus in general have received massive amounts of praise.
They've all known since August and still nobody 'leaked'.

I listened to Pat Forte being interviewed, a renowned College sports journo, who's son happened to go to Mizzou, and knows Sam.
When Pat asked his son about it, jnr replied 'oh yeah that, we've all known for months'!!!

What might also help Sam is the fact he's a double-hard big b*****d, who's had it very tough.

Which is absolutely awesome and let's hope it's the same in whatever NFL locker room he ends up in.

However...

Here's an article about Sam's father 'struggling' with the news:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10439397&src=desktop

It's not all sweetness and light I'm afraid and goes to show just how many issues someone in this position faces.

Not sure what it says about the father if a bunch of young football players in Missouri (of all places) can handle it better than he can.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is absolutely awesome and let's hope it's the same in whatever NFL locker room he ends up in.

However...

Here's an article about Sam's father 'struggling' with the news:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10439397&src=desktop

It's not all sweetness and light I'm afraid and goes to show just how many issues someone in this position faces.

Not sure what it says about the father if a bunch of young football players in Missouri (of all places) can handle it better than he can.
It's hardly the worst piece of news pops has had to deal with:-

His upbringing in Hitchcock, Texas, was filled with adversity. As such, he told ESPN that his decision to come out seemed easy compared to the tragedy he has had to endure.
"I endured so much in my past: seeing my older brother killed from a gunshot wound, not knowing that my oldest sister died when she was a baby and I never got the chance to meet her," he said. "My second-oldest brother went missing in 1998, and me and my little sister were the last ones to see him ... my other two brothers have been in and out of jail since eighth grade, currently both in jail.
"Telling the world I'm gay is nothing compared to that."

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I wouldn't try and stop him. I've seen his tackle.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Not attacking you Mr smyjymyjmy but this attitude annoys me and I feel completely misses the point of someone coming out.

First of all, it's about the person coming out, not you. It's not for your entertainment or information. It's about the person in question being able to live their lives instead of a lie.

Second, to draw parallels between someone coming out as gay and someone announcing they are straight is disingenuous. It's not the same at all because being straight is 'normal'. Unless you live in an area with an extremely high concentration of violent gay people, I sincerely doubt you've ever had to pretend your sexuality is something other than it is. This is the life that closeted gay people lead.

It's not about putting their sexuality in your face, it's about saying this is who I am and I'm tired of having to hide it.

I don't feel that passionate about it, I'm not homophobic, and knowing someone’s sexual orientation isn't on my life’s list. That's not to say that I am not aware of the battles some people face in their lives.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
He'll be fine. Most NFL fans really only care about 'can you play'? If you can it's amazing how much NFL fans will ignore. It really is about being the right guy more than being a 'character' guy. When he eventually drops by Buffalo (where my seasons are) 99% of the crowd won't give a toss. There will be a few idiots at the tailgate but most people really won't care.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

This is obviously the right answer.

Unfortunately it still wont be good enough for people. They'll be like Alan P in his film; 'He was probably being a gay show off'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here