Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Chase

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The chase just asked a question - which was the first club to pay £1m for a player Nottingham Forest Liverpool or Man Utd and the correct answer was Forest. I am sure that I have read many times that Brian Clough denied this and said that he paid £999,999.00 for him ie £1 short so as to not give him that tag as the first £1m player. I know Spurs did it with Jimmy Greaves paid £99.999 to avoid the first £100k tag.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The chase just asked a question - which was the first club to pay £1m for a player Nottingham Forest Liverpool or Man Utd and the correct answer was Forest. I am sure that I have read many times that Brian Clough denied this and said that he paid £999,999.00 for him ie £1 short so as to not give him that tag as the first £1m player. I know Spurs did it with Jimmy Greaves paid £99.999 to avoid the first £100k tag.

I think you're right, it's just that Cloughie's plan didn't stop Francis being tagged as a £1m player. Because to all intents and purposes, he was.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Wiki:
While recognised as the first million pound player,[4] the actual transfer fee for the player was £1,150,000, including 15% commission to the Football League. There is a myth that the fee was £999,999—£1 short of the million mark—as Brian Clough wanted to ensure this milestone did not go to the player's head, although Trevor Francis says it was a tongue-in-cheek remark by Brian Clough.[5] With taxes, the total fee exceeded £1.1m.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
anyone remember Steve Daley? I think he was the first 500,000 player transfered to Man City from Wolves

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good job FFP wasn't about then

How much would any club pay for a player who can score the goal that wins the European Cup now I wonder ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
anyone remember Steve Daley? I think he was the first 500,000 player transfered to Man City from Wolves

Yes I do and I sure I read somewhere he was a store manager in BHS or something similar now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always thought that Man Utd paid cash for Birtles we then bought Ritchie and sold Ward for the same amount so we were the only ones not making or spending any money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here