Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Quarter Final FA Cup Draw...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Been thinking about this since our game was moved to a Monday night for TV purposes...

I am quite annoyed in a way that the draw for the 1/4s will take place before our game. I understand if teams draw and have a replay it happens but to do it before a tie for no reason apart from TV is bemusing to me...

I think there's a chance it may have an affect on team selection. Say the draw is Charlton or Sheff Weds at home in the 1/4s - surely Hull will suddenly really fancy this and play a stronger side against us?

If it's say Man City away will Hull make more changes than planned as it's unlikely they'll get the Wembley day out, they have to go to City anyway in the league and the prem survival is their main priority?

Could knowing who the winner plays even change certain players' minds going into a game?

Or do you think i'm thinking too much into this?

Thoughts please...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think you'll find anyone disagrees with you there.

But it has always been this way ever since Sky got involved with the FAC. The Monday game goes into the draw unplayed. It's stupid.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No different to there being a few an and / or's left in the draw due to some games ending up a draw though, is it ?

Like most people, I'd prefer all the ties to be played over the weekend, but I can't see it really matters that " xxxx will play Brighton or Hull" makes much odds for the draw itself.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Yes I thought exactly the same.
Although I saw it as a positive, in the fact if it is a big Prem side, it might well put Hull off wanting to progress somewhat.

I do think the fact their 2 new strikers Long and Jelavic being Cup-tied is an even bigger bonus though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
At least we are guaranteed to be IN the 6th round draw :)

That's true, hard to see any other positive than this.

First time in the quarter final draw since 1986. Would be brilliant to actually make the quarter final for the first time in 28 years.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The problem is having FA Cup games on a Monday night.

Would people actually prefer the FA Cup draw to be delayed till just before 10pm on a Monday night, after our game has been played ? I wouldn't. And if the Monday game ended all square, then delaying the draw would have been a waste of time anyway !

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That's true, hard to see any other positive than this.

First time in the quarter final draw since 1986. Would be brilliant to actually make the quarter final for the first time in 28 years.

1 game from Wembley.

I would probably hold off my angry "the semi's should NOT be played at Wembley" stance just for that one day.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I'm another in the "all the games should be played before the draw" camp. But to be honest I don't think it'll make too much difference either way on this one. Neither us or Hull will realistically win the F.A cup anyway so it's pleasant or irritating distraction away from respective leagues. And anyway Hull have to make changes to their team whatever because their 2 new shiny forwards are cup tied & Mcshane is now out injured.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Would people actually prefer the FA Cup draw to be delayed till just before 10pm on a Monday night, after our game has been played ? I wouldn't. And if the Monday game ended all square, then delaying the draw would have been a waste of time anyway !

Indeed I'm still not sure why that's happening anyway. Why not Friday evening, two on Sat, two on sunday for the telly. How we ended up with a Monday night game is beyond me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I would. I guess it's one of the 'negatives' of drawing and going to a replay - you'll know who you've got in the next round. Could be a positive - it depends what clubs are involved. I just think every club should be treated equally - especially in the cup - and that would mean at least having the chance not to draw the match before knowing who we'd play in the quarter finals. Possibly a bit trivial but that's what NSC is for I guess!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm another in the "all the games should be played before the draw" camp. But to be honest I don't think it'll make too much difference either way on this one. Neither us or Hull will realistically win the F.A cup anyway so it's pleasant or irritating distraction away from respective leagues. And anyway Hull have to make changes to their team whatever because their 2 new shiny forwards are cup tied & Mcshane is now out injured.

I don't get this argument. Well let's not bother entering it then!

We could quite feasibly have a run like this to the final:

Brighton 1 Hull 0
QF - Brighton 2 Sheff Utd 0
SF - Brighton 5 Sunderland 0

I really don't see why anyone should be writing us off.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I can't see it doing us much harm.

Weaker team in draw = no change - both teams play moderately strong sides

Strong team in draw = we go strong for a big payday, Hull probably prioritise Prem and go weaker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1 game from Wembley.

I would probably hold off my angry "the semi's should NOT be played at Wembley" stance just for that one day.

Actually I wouldn't. I really don't think Semi's should be played at Wembley. It should be cup finals only.

I also maintain that the atmosphere at Highbury in 1983 was far better than anything you'd get at Wembley. Would rather they stuck to neutral venues. There are plenty around from Emirates in London to Old Trafford in the North. Villa Park would still do a job.

I know it's driven by money but it's helping kill the romance for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here