Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not letting the Scots have the pound

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
So if they go independant they can't have our pound. Makes sense. But where does this leave Scotland.

Options are for them to fight this (with what?), take the Euro, or come up with something new.

Could be a right old mess for them and potentially us (by that I mean the remaining England, Wales and Northern Ireland)

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I see no reason why they should automatically have the pound. If they want independence they should have it fully, not pick and choose the best bits. And I don't mean that in a petulant childish kind of way.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You try getting a Pound off a Scotsman, it's difficult.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I wholly recognise some of the Scots chippiness etc. but I tend to compare the arguments for them NOT to leave as very similar to the arguments put to us why we must join the Euro or the EU.

So in that sense for me, they should make a decision based on what they want rather than what might befall them if they leave.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
On the face of it the Scots/ Welsh and Irish would all be nuts to leave England. Surely in the long term they must all be better off living off the wealth generated in this country.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think the currency issue is Westminsters ace card.

With so many Scottish nationals unsure of which way to vote, insecurity and concerns about a new currency and what issues that may bring will probably mean a no vote.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I think the currency issue is Westminsters ace card.

With so many Scottish nationals unsure of which way to vote, insecurity and concerns about a new currency and what issues that may bring will probably mean a no vote.

Yep I agree, it's a clever ploy.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The SNP have been made to look like amateurs. Independence means just that. No chance of this happening, but they will get more powers away from Westminster win / win IMO

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They'll have their own currency called the poond.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Have I got this right?

They want to keep the pound
They want free movement around the UK
They Want automatic entry to the EU
They want entry to Nato

They don't want to pay for their own currency
They don't want to pay for border controls
They don't want to have the Euro (despite all other new nations having it)
They don't want to pay for nuclear weapons

If I had a vote on this, I would give them independence, and just that, total independence. Picking just the good bits, is taking the mickey.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I tend to compare the arguments for them NOT to leave as very similar to the arguments put to us why we must join the Euro or the EU.
But Scotland do well being in the union, because they earn less money than the rest of the UK, and they have more money given to them than the rest of the UK. The opposite is true for the UK and Europe - we earn more than the average of Europe, and spend more on them.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...independence-yes-support-holding-up-1-3300348

Scottish independence: Yes support holding up

the recent surge in support for Scottish independence is holding up, with the outcome of the referendum still in the hands of undecided voters, according to the latest polling evidence.

Support for independence has only fallen slightly to 37 per cent, with support for the union at 49 per cent, according to a Panelbase survey of 1,000 people. But the remaining 14 per cent are undecided and could provide the 7 per cent swing needed to secure a Yes vote.

But more than half of Scots expect to pay more tax after independence, it finds, while fewer than half think keeping the pound in a UK currency union is likely in the event of a Yes vote.

On taxation, 51 per cent said they expected to pay more in personal tax to fund public services under independence, while just over 32 per cent said they expected to pay less and 17 per cent did not know.

On currency, 41 per cent of people believe keeping sterling in a formal currency union will be the outcome under independence, 15 per cent believe Scotland will continue using the pound with no formal currency union and 8 per cent believe a separate Scottish currency will be set up.

Pro-Union campaign leader Alistair Darling said the findings will heap pressure on Alex *Salmond on the currency issue.

He said: “It is increasingly obvious that Scotland cannot leave the UK and keep the security of the UK pound.”

Yes Scotland chief executive Blair Jenkins insisted momentum is “firmly behind” the Yes campaign. He said: “With a little over seven months to go, a swing of only just over seven points to Yes puts us ahead.”

A separate survey carried out for the BBC found the economy came out top of voters priorities with pensions second and *welfare third.

Then, next in line, came Scotland’s relationship with the rest of the UK, currency, immigration, energy and defence.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But Scotland do well being in the union, because they earn less money than the rest of the UK, and they have more money given to them than the rest of the UK. The opposite is true for the UK and Europe - we earn more than the average of Europe, and spend more on them.

I listened to economists, politicians and more economists on how we should join the Euro and with it we would prosper and without it we would go to 'hell in a handcart', its a similar argument perhaps from a slightly different angle.

Your view isnt definitive, there are many that still feel that being part of the European Union is of financial benefit to us, similarly SNP feel that their leaving the UK wont harm their own economic aspirations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here