Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Froch v Groves Rematch announced tomorrow

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Groves already beaten him once bar a dodgy ref (backed up by the IBF), lets do it again.

How exactly has Groves beaten him once??? Yes Groves fought a good fight no doubting that, but Groves should be grateful to the ref, because he was gone. Anyone could see that, if the ref had let the fight go on another 30 seconds he would have been out on his feet and not be able to gob off about what an injustice it all was.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
How exactly has Groves beaten him once??? Yes Groves fought a good fight no doubting that, but Groves should be grateful to the ref, because he was gone. Anyone could see that, if the ref had let the fight go on another 30 seconds he would have been out on his feet and not be able to gob off about what an injustice it all was.

This

I thought groves shocked many people

Froch was battering him

Ref saved him

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Groves should be grateful to the ref, because he was gone. Anyone could see that

IBF:

There were a number of reasons presented in his appeal presented as evidence of inappropriate conduct by referee Howard Foster. However, the one argument presented to the panel that they could make an educated decision on was that the referee simply misinterpreted George Groves' evasive techniques as being an indication that Mr Groves was in "trouble". The panel determined that the referee gave appropriate warnings to both fighters but did not choose to deduct points. The panel felt that in the 9th round, Groves should have been allowed to continue as he did not appear to be seriously hurt and was counter punching and attempting to move the action away from the ropes at the time of the stoppage. In addition, the referee waived off the fight from behind Groves instead of in front of him and did not look into his eyes. Groves showed no signs of being hurt after the stoppage. In sum, the panel felt it was an improper stoppage.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This

I thought groves shocked many people

Froch was battering him

Ref saved him

Your right,,Groves shocked a lot of people. Including Froch I believe. I don't think for one second Froch thought Groves could do that. Groves had Froch all over the place early doors and the very fact Groves couldn't finish Froch off when he seemed all but out on his feet, says a lot. Groves should be careful what he wishes for. He might just get it. Groves fought the fight of his life and Froch under estimated him....I doubt it will happen again.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
IBF:

There were a number of reasons presented in his appeal presented as evidence of inappropriate conduct by referee Howard Foster. However, the one argument presented to the panel that they could make an educated decision on was that the referee simply misinterpreted George Groves' evasive techniques as being an indication that Mr Groves was in "trouble". The panel determined that the referee gave appropriate warnings to both fighters but did not choose to deduct points. The panel felt that in the 9th round, Groves should have been allowed to continue as he did not appear to be seriously hurt and was counter punching and attempting to move the action away from the ropes at the time of the stoppage. In addition, the referee waived off the fight from behind Groves instead of in front of him and did not look into his eyes. Groves showed no signs of being hurt after the stoppage. In sum, the panel felt it was an improper stoppage.

I don't disagree that it should not have been stopped. But anyone who thinks Groves would have won is deluded. The ref did stop it too early, but Groves was emptying fast and Froch was doing what he has done time and time again. If it had gone on another ten seconds and Groves ended up in hospital or worse, everyone would have been saying the ref should have stopped it earlier.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
They have to fight again for both fighters, Groves will always claim he was stopped too early and Froch has to fight Groves otherwise the legacy of his career will be blighted by the actions of Referee Howard Foster.
IMHO I think Groves surpassed all expectations as well as the all important fact of getting inside Froch's head. He should have finished Froch off after the knockdown, and almost certainly against popular opinion on here I think he would have recovered from what turned out to be the final onslaught had it not been stopped and gone on to win on points.
This time Groves will again win the mind games and knock Froch out inside 8 rounds.

Dec 3, 2012
I'm not sure how many more times Froch can drag a win out in a tough battle.

In some ways Groves lost the last fight IMO more than Froch won it. He was far sharper.

I think Groves can win it this time. Froch showed signs of sliding in the last fight and you can't turn that back.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Your right,,Groves shocked a lot of people. Including Froch I believe. I don't think for one second Froch thought Groves could do that. Groves had Froch all over the place early doors and the very fact Groves couldn't finish Froch off when he seemed all but out on his feet, says a lot. Groves should be careful what he wishes for. He might just get it. Groves fought the fight of his life and Froch under estimated him....I doubt it will happen again.

Exactly what I keep saying

Froch was shocked to be knocked down and how much of a game plan Groves had

This time Froch will be more focused, more determined, and more aggressive, knowing Groves can't handle the pressure

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Exactly what I keep saying

Froch was shocked to be knocked down and how much of a game plan Groves had

This time Froch will be more focused, more determined, and more aggressive, knowing Groves can't handle the pressure

Not sure, I see it like that. Groves knows he can beat Froch to the punch, if he paces the fight well, he should be able to win on points. It just might not be the thriller the first fight was.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Can't wait for the fight. Even if it's a small fraction of the excitement the last fight had, it'll still be worth seeing.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Eddie Hearn was saying that they are in talks with a number of 'large' football grounds.

There was some interesting verbal sparring between the two. Froch seemed very calm and collected. Can only see it getting more and more heated as the fight gets nearer. BOTH fighters have a point to prove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here