Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We are too slow on the counter...

Leo's Goatee

Dec 30, 2013
Under Leo's mouth
anyone agree with me here? There was about 6 or 7 times we could of broken away to attack against 2 defenders but we are just not quick enough or nobody is up there to make the runs. Too many Leeds were able to get back in numbers before we had reached the final third. Really think OG has to work on this or bring in a very quick central midfielder to pick those balls up and run!

anyone agree with me here? There was about 6 or 7 times we could of broken away to attack against 2 defenders but we are just not quick enough or nobody is up there to make the runs. Too many Leeds were able to get back in numbers before we had reached the final third. Really think OG has to work on this or bring in a very quick central midfielder to pick those balls up and run!

When I saw the thread title I thought we were going to slow the clocks down at the AMEX.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure. When we scored it was a sort of counter Kaz had 3 players to choose from in the box.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Been the same for last three years. That's not the way we play. We pass it around and try a pick our way through. One sideways pass is all it takes at this level, for the opposition the get organised again and set. By the time Greer has passed it to Upson, then back to TK and then back to Upson again, the opposition have there defencive banks back in place.....Another bug bare of mine is why we never leave a man up when defending a set piece. If we have a man standing on the half way line, the then opposition have to leave a man there as well, or even two. I will never understand why a lot of teams don't do this.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I have to agree, especially on last nights showing.

More so than in any other game this season I felt we played in a very Poyet-esque style, very patiently passing out from the back, in to the midfield and then back again. Very patient, but very predictable.

On several occasions there was a big void between the forwards and the rest of the team (I thought we played very deep) which isn't that conducive to a swift counter attack.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Counter attacking would mean teams have to attack us... which very rarely happens at the Amex. I can understand what you mean though, but Oscar to me on what I've seen so far seems to like the disciplined organised way of playing, quite often when teams are 'counter attacking' the game becomes very frantic and open, which again doesn't seem how Oscar likes to set his teams up.

I'm happy with how we play I've grown used to the slow passing and grown rather fond of it now I have to say sometimes we move the ball TOO slow though. We do mix things up a lot more now though which I also like, I don't think we are that predictable anymore, we certainly play more direct at times under Oscar anyway which I think is why Ulloa is finding it more difficult up front on his own.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure. When we scored it was a sort of counter Kaz had 3 players to choose from in the box.

For the last two games there's been a noticeable difference with more players getting in the box more quickly. This is the most impressive thing about Stephens. It's also been assisted by those playing on the wings being both fast and further upfield.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Counter attacking would mean teams have to attack us... which very rarely happens at the Amex. I can understand what you mean though, but Oscar to me on what I've seen so far seems to like the disciplined organised way of playing, quite often when teams are 'counter attacking' the game becomes very frantic and open, which again doesn't seem how Oscar likes to set his teams up.

I'm happy with how we play I've grown used to the slow passing and grown rather fond of it now I have to say sometimes we move the ball TOO slow though. We do mix things up a lot more now though which I also like, I don't think we are that predictable anymore, we certainly play more direct at times under Oscar anyway which I think is why Ulloa is finding it more difficult up front on his own.

I think we need a midfielder with a bit of pace and quick feet playing just behind Ulloa to solve the problem. Orland is a gifted footballer but does not really fit the bill
Vicente would do nicely

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Rarely happens when we play away either, it has become quite apparent recently that all teams park the bus when they play us.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Totally agree far to slow coming forward on the counter, very frustrating to watch we just seem to dawdle forwards with no intent.
Should be playing 4-3-3 at home or even just a plain 2 upfront would help !!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

We won FFS

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Yeah it was bollocks the way we retained control of possession and never looked like conceding.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
We won, though!
P.S. Its not a goatee, its a soul patch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here