Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Best Albion centre back since...?

I'm too young to have seen our greats (Lawrenson et al.), so Upson is the best I have seen in the blue and white. Simon Morgan was exceptional but divisions below, Cullip was good but not in the same bracket, McShane and Ingimarsson were young and gifted (more so Ingimarsson, IMO) but never really ours. The reality is he's probably the best since Greer for someone my age :lolol: but for older fans I suspect it dates back a lot further. So where does he stand?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He's got to be up there with the very best we've ever had. An absolute rock at the centre of our defence and as dependable as the day is long.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Played at a lower level for us, but Simon Morgan was different class for the one season he was here. Had top flight experience with Fulham, so must have been pretty reliable. Carried Danny Cullip for a season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Upson is brilliant for us - we're very lucky to have someone so assured who just quietly goes about his business.

Another thing is he seems to be really enjoying it - it was obvious that last night's win meant a lot to him. Given the level he has played at, he could easily just go through the motions as he sees out his career, but it's not a case of that at all.

He must also be a fantastic example for the youngsters to look at and model themselves on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Better than Steve Foster at his peak? Hard choice for me but other than Lawrenson I can't think of anybody better or more consistent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I just missed Lawrenson.

For me, Upson is right up there in the top bracket, with Martin Keown and Eric Young.

Colin Pates, Danny Cullip, Simon Morgan and Guy Butters all did pretty good jobs, relative to the divisions we were in at the time. Greer is thereabouts too - no mistake.

Broady

Apr 17, 2011
He is class. Just a brilliant all round defender, fair play to Gus and the guys for bringing him in, I was a bit sceptical at first but he has been colossal since day 1.

Highlight of the night was when the players were walking off and all the ball-boys were holding out their hands for high 5s and he "proper gave it some" for every high 5, he is clearly enjoying it here and it must be great for the younger players to have some one so experienced in the squad.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Has the defenders job changed since passing back to the goal keeper was made illegal, and can we truly compare pre 92 defenders with todays ones?

It's a good point. The likes of Lawrenson & Hansen spent hours knocking it back to the keeper to waste time.

Let's be honest, they'd frequently get the ball and clear it to the heavens, or launch it forward to Ian Rush. Defenders now- at least our ones- are supposed to be comfortable on the ball and to look for a short pass to a team mate. Upson is great at that.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Steve Foster was immense for us at his peak. Like Upson he played for England albeit only briefly. Lawrenson was superb and obviously went on to become one of the finest central defenders in the country and probably world. For me those two along with Upson are the best I've seen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I hope Lewis Dunk is taking notes. I can't think of any better education for a young centre back than being in and around such a great pro. We could probably do with Dunk getting a few games alongside him before he retires!

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Lawrenson IMHO was the most complete defender that has played for the Albion, he was incredibly quick, read the game well and was very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also that season Albion were in real trouble in the top div. Mullery played him in midfield and he didn't look out of place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I remember reading that he employs his own fitness/body coach who he works with on top of training sessions, with the aim of understanding his body better, avoiding injuries and extending his career. So glad we're reaping the benefits. I agree that he's a model pro, and certainly one to look up to.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I said to my mate last night that I will be very sad when Upson leaves/retires :( He's been fantastic for us and an absolute professional. I've heard it mentioned a few times that he is enjoying his football here and that really shows in his performances, he wins pretty much every header he goes for, he's very assured with the ball at his feet, he's a very clean player and never gives away silly needless free kicks. And one of my personal highlights is the Matty Upson double thumbs up that he does on his post match lap

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lawrenson IMHO was the most complete defender that has played for the Albion, he was incredibly quick, read the game well and was very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Also that season Albion were in real trouble in the top div. Mullery played him in midfield and he didn't look out of place.

Used to make a lovely sliding tackle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here