Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking Ahead to Hull

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So,

Will Oscar go for the win and play his strongest team?

Hull's new strikers Long and Jelavic are both cup tied, so we'll be facing their 2nd string strikers on Monday.

I personally think this is a very rare chance to progress to Wembley (draw aside) and we should put out our strongest team.

thoughts?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Big enough gap between each of our games that we can go for it. Might still be Brez as the cup keeper, hope not though (sorry Pete).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What's crazy is if we win this there's a reasonable chance we'll get an EASIER game in the quarters, considering what the ties are so far. It's very, very unlkely but feasible that if the draws all went our way we could avoid a big side right until the final.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
my team for monday
brez
calderon ----greer---- upson ------chicksen
ince------ kemy --------orlandi
march----- ulloa ------- lua lua

subs casper dunk obika lopez buckley spanish rodney caskey

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I'd like to see the same team again, possibly with Dunk and Chicksen in.

I wonder if seeing who we get in the draw will affect Oscar's team selection?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My team

I assume Stevens is also Cup Tied

~~~Kuszczak

Bruno/Calderon*~ Greer~ Upson ~ Ward
~~~~~~Ince
March ~ JFC~ Rodriguez
~~~~~Orlandi
~~~~~~Ulloa

* Depends upon Bruno's injury

Subs: Walton, Obika, Lua Lua, Buckley, Lopez, Andrews, Dunk

Question: how can I fit Dunk and Calderon/Bruno on the bench?

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I have a horrible feeling that this is going to be one of those games where which demonstrate the significant jump from Championship to Premier League. Unlike Newcastle which was seen as a big scalp, Hull is a just a bit, well, meh. Players and fans wont be up for it quite so much, and we'll end up being rolled over 2 or 3 nil. Of course I hope I am wrong....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would like to see Chicksen again, though the opposition will be stronger, & hopefully March stays in the side with Ince too.

I'm looking forward to it. Our two FA Cup performances so far have been, in different ways, a breath of fresh air, & I really hope that continues against what should by no means be a full strength Hull side. I really hope we're looking to win it (might sound daft, but lots of managers have a really "meh" attitude to the cup these days). The draw is potentially opening right up, & beating Hull would put us only one game and hopefully a kind quarter final tie from Wembley. That would be a brilliant day for the club, even though it's not the final.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Do you think the outcome of the draw on Sunday might influence the team chosen to face Hull?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just watched PB's latest installment of his interview. The last thing he said is that the club want to do as well in the Cup as we can. A clue, perhaps, that we'll field a full strength side??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We've been to the 5th round a few times recently but this time we're at home against a side who is still far from safe in the PL.

Our best chance of a quarter final in a generation, will be absolutely gutted if we don't play our best side possible for this one.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What's crazy is if we win this there's a reasonable chance we'll get an EASIER game in the quarters, considering what the ties are so far. It's very, very unlkely but feasible that if the draws all went our way we could avoid a big side right until the final.

If we were to progress, In the last 8 there is likely to be 4 established Premier League teams where the chances are we will lose (The Chelsea, Arsenal, Southampton and Everton ties). There will be 2 X championship teams or below from the Wednesday / Forest games and a lower end PL team or high end championship team from the Cardiff tie - That equates to a 42% chance of drawing of an eminently winnable tie in the last 8 - That's high for this stage of the competition (albeit its still odds against)

We won't get many better chances than this in the near future to go deep into the competition.

To recap the draw

Manchester City v Chelsea
Sheffield United v Nottingham Forest
Arsenal v Liverpool
Brighton & Hove Albion v Hull City
Cardiff City v Wigan Athletic
Sheffield Wednesday v Charlton Athletic
Sunderland v Southampton
Everton v Swansea City

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I also find it quite amusing how so many of us (myself included) are happy to be potentially one game away from Wembley, yet if ever the debate about FA Cup semi-final venues comes up on here, the majority are totally against them being held there :lol:

I guess we'd all be nearly as excited about a semi-final at Villa Park/Emirates/Anfield though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Think we should go for it big time. As Mellotron has pointed out, there's a possibility of making it to the final without even playing against a team in the top half of the PL. Not so sure that there is an enormous gulf between PL and Championship or, to be more precise, between the bottom half of the PL and the top ten or so in the Championship.
So, I'd put out a similar side to last night, with perhaps Andrews replacing (a presumably cup-tied) Stephens, a returning Bruno if fit, and similar pacy substitutions.
Do that and

WEAR COLD WINE

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
In reply to Superphil. I do not think the quarter final draw will affect team selection, because the financial rewards for winning this game are incentive enough regardless of who our potential opponent is. When you factor in tv money for Rd 6 we stand to make around £700,000 for winning on monday if previously quoted figures are correct. You can sue that Bloom and Barber will REALLY want to win this one.

Quite frankly I can see the draw being a slight distraction if anything.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i would make two changes from last night game lua lua for spanish rodney and kemy or caskey or andews if fit in for dale stephens and keep the rest the same

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We DEFINITELY should go full strength. Hull may rest a few (as well as the cup tied pair) though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here