Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question about taking a 5 year old to AMEX

Aug 23, 2011
Hi, i want to take my 5 year old nephew to the football for the Hull game. I was going to go for the east stand lower but my question was whether it mattered which row/stand i should go for. Would the front row be sensible or would the wall obstruct a little ones view so should aim for a few rows further back? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Front row is a good idea, as when the crowd gets up on their feet (which is at important moments), young children can't see what's going on on the pitch.
Also 90 minutes (even two blocks of 45 minutes) is a long time for a five-year-old. I managed to get my one to focus by bribing him with snacks, saying if you concentrate on the game for the next five minutes, then you can have this. He's six now, a season ticket holder, and is really up for it.
One final and obvious point: it'll be a late evening for him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Consider the weather. Only the back 5 or six rows of ESL are guaranteed to not get wet.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
While I agree with everything that Machiavelli says, if it rains, he'll get soaked in the front row of ESL. I took mine to Withdean for three games, they got soaked and were utterly miserable and didn't want to go back. First row ESU, perhaps might be better, if you can get tickets??

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
From my experience (I have two sons), at 5 years old he won't be that interested in having a decent view (as in all of the pitch), it's more about the experience and bribery.

I would suggest getting a seat as close to the pitch as possible. Also try west lower towards the North. He'll see the players warming up, be near the North Stand so there should be a lot of noise, plus he won't get as wet as he would in the East!

Finally go to your local corner shop and stock up on haribo and stuff like that, maybe even take a flask of hot chocolate. Otherwise you'll hemorrhage money on sweets and drinks.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From my experience (I have two sons), at 5 years old he won't be that interested in having a decent view (as in all of the pitch), it's more about the experience and bribery.

I would suggest getting a seat as close to the pitch as possible. Also try west lower towards the North. He'll see the players warming up, be near the North Stand so there should be a lot of noise, plus he won't get as wet as he would in the East!

Finally go to your local corner shop and stock up on haribo and stuff like that, maybe even take a flask of hot chocolate. Otherwise you'll hemorrhage money on sweets and drinks.

I know people at the front of the wsl who have often got a real soaking whilst i haven't about 15 rows back in the east. I don't know why you think otherwise.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If it's not windy, we generally stay dry in row P of East Lower.

I took my kids when they were very young (first games when they were 4), and got very adept at sweeping them up every time I stood, to ensure that they could still see! However, this didn't happen so often in those Withdean years, so you might get knackered by the end of the game nowadays.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Go for an upper tier, as close to the front as you can. Swap off-centre, if you can be closer to the front, than centre but further back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Thought this was a good shout. Front 15 rows or so WSL can get wet but if wind is westerly (as it seems to be most of the time at the moment - about 80mph worth now anyway) it's mostly dry.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
While I agree with everything that Machiavelli says, if it rains, he'll get soaked in the front row of ESL. I took mine to Withdean for three games, they got soaked and were utterly miserable and didn't want to go back. First row ESU, perhaps might be better, if you can get tickets??

You're right Goldstone, I hadn't paid any attention to ESL/ESU. I've sat in the first row of ESU before, and can recommend it, we had a great time, Blackpool 6-1. Where to sit is even more pertinent as current forecasts are grim for Monday: inevitably more rain, wind, and colder too.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I know people at the front of the wsl who have often got a real soaking whilst i haven't about 15 rows back in the east. I don't know why you think otherwise.

Because I've sat in both when it's been raining. East is worst for getting soaked in my experience.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
also take a DS or something similar, otherwise it'll be about ten trips to the toilet for you as they get bored quickly and thats what they seem to need, at least ten times a match. I have taken both my kids to the matches when they were 4 and as long as you have a bag full of crisps, chic, drinks, biscuits and entertainment you will be fine

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It won't rain.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
also take a DS or something similar, otherwise it'll be about ten trips to the toilet for you as they get bored quickly and thats what they seem to need, at least ten times a match. I have taken both my kids to the matches when they were 4 and as long as you have a bag full of crisps, chic, drinks, biscuits and entertainment you will be fine

DS (or similar) definitely required. They do get bored pretty quickly, plus if the game is dull you can have a go too. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I go with a big group of 5 year olds. I'll ask their opinion.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because I've sat in both when it's been raining. East is worst for getting soaked in my experience.

I suppose that makes sense as the prevailing weather usually comes from the west although as the stands are named a little inaccurately, shouldn't the east actually be the north?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here