Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Improving

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, the two wins are good. Yes, being 1 point outside the play-offs is good.

The best thing though, surely, is how we do seem to be coming into form at just the right time. We were considerably better than Leeds last night to the point I think 1-0 flattered them. Our defence is, by and large, rock solid and the attacking side of our game is now beginning to show what we know we are capable of. Kaz is probably the only one of our established offensive players who is really firing still, but Ulloa seems to be moving in the right direction at last, Buckley is back, March is like having a decent new signing and it can only be a game or two until CMS is on the bench. Finally Spanish Rodney doesn't look out of place and must only improve with some match sharpness and we might even see Hoskins again this season.

Yes, things are looking good for us right now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, the two wins are good. Yes, being 1 point outside the play-offs is good.

The best thing though, surely, is how we do seem to be coming into form at just the right time. We were considerably better than Leeds last night to the point I think 1-0 flattered them. Our defence is, by and large, rock solid and the attacking side of our game is now beginning to show what we know we are capable of. Kaz is probably the only one of our established offensive players who is really firing still, but Ulloa seems to be moving in the right direction at last, Buckley is back, March is like having a decent new signing and it can only be a game or two until CMS is on the bench. Finally Spanish Rodney doesn't look out of place and must only improve with some match sharpness and we might even see Hoskins again this season.

Yes, things are looking good for us right now.

Agree with all this, but the thing that you haven't highlighted that I'd like to is Rohan Ince. And what a highlight he is.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Totally agree. I hope that at some point we're going to click offensively, and all of the half chances and sometimes full chances we fail to put away will start to fly in.

If we do get into the playoffs we're potentially going to have everyone available, match fit and sharp :ascarf:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It's all very encouraging at the moment, I'm not certain we can replicate the form we showed in the run-in last season but with a strong showing in the next few months there is no reason why we can't make 6th place.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The continual 1-0 victories are simply papering over the cracks. When we win the playoff final 1-0 at Wembley we'll be kidding ourselves that we're good enough to go up.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The continual 1-0 victories are simply papering over the cracks. When we win the playoff final 1-0 at Wembley we'll be kidding ourselves that we're good enough to go up.

Indeed. All those 1-0 wins in March 2011 which won us the League 1 title were unacceptable too. Hail the true Champions, Southampton. :bowdown:.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We're definitely hitting a little bit of form and I like the way March and Ince are looking like such natural first team starters.

I still think we're less than the sum of our parts at the moment. Pretty much every player whose name is called out at the start of the match gets a deserved cheer and we have some genuinely good players in all positions. It's just frustrating that we can spend long periods underperforming - and it's not the fault of any particular player or players. It seems like the entire team goes off the boil at once.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

That's it. Glass half full attitude.

Come on Papa. It's not that bad.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
The main thing for me is that we seem to be getting the ball forward much quicker than under GP. That make's a big difference and I truly believe that Ulloa is improving, Rodders shows promise and getting CMS and Hoskins back will give us many more options up front. Last night was the most satisfying win of the season for me so far (the one game I missed was the Leicester game) and not just because we beat the dirty Leeds.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
I only have the Leeds radio to go by which would obviously have been biassed but

- They kept saying that Ulloa's first touch was appalling, I know he scored but not sure he is really on 'form'
- Although we were better we didn't really create any decent chances, they thought a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result.

Anyway sounds like pace changed the game again. I would have thought we could start with Buckley's pace and bring on Lualua in future games should all be fit

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't think either of the recent wins - as welcome as they have been - have seen us play particularly brilliantly.

But last night was an improvement on Saturday. If we keep improving and picking up points as we do, it can't be too bad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I only have the Leeds radio to go by which would obviously have been biassed but

- They kept saying that Ulloa's first touch was appalling, I know he scored but not sure he is really on 'form'
- Although we were better we didn't really create any decent chances, they thought a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result.

I didn't say Ulloa was on form but moving in the right direction. If you'd seen recent games you'd know that was the case. Last night was his best game by far but, yes, his first touch was still poor at times last night.

We did create chances last night - unfortunately we either snatched at them, not forcing a save from Fatty Kenny or Leeds managed to block them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The future looks good and we are moving in the right direction but to be super critical our final ball delivered to the box/danger area could be better on most occasions but that will come in time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Anyway sounds like pace changed the game again. I would have thought we could start with Buckley's pace and bring on Lualua in future games should all be fit

Ulloas first touch last night was awful...but its been good and he hasn't scored...so if thats the way it worked then i will take his touch being awful....we made Leeds look pretty ordinary last night and a draw would have flattered them..but then perhaps i am biased

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
There were some incredible moments of Barcelona style rapid, close passing last night. One instance in the 2nd half, in the north east corner that resulted in a shot just wide of the post was sublime and had the Leeds defence chasing shadows. Crossing the ball and shooting, in general, was well below par though (with the exception of KLL when he came on)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here