Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City to install safe standing at new-look Ashton Gate

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There was a report in the papers a few weeks back about how atrocious the planning function is in Bristol.

They gave a number of examples of redevelopments that had been stuck in planning and then run out of steam. Bristol City's ground was one development cited.

They compared Bristol to Cardiff where a lot of great development had been pushed through and begged the question as to how much inward investment had been lost in Bristol due to planning bureaucracy.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ps. Thumbs up to safe standing, and yes please at the Amex as long as it is can be cheaply installed safely.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
The Liverpool MP on BBC just now is standing against it on very flimsy principles. Claiming that people who want to stand are living in a nostalgic dreamworld. Also suggested that in 'big' games, all-seater stadia generate a perfectly good atmosphere. This is despite the crowd control expert saying (using the medium of research and FACTS) that people are already standing in all grounds, including the ones Mr Rotheram is talking about.

Singing is a standing sport - it is hard enough to hit a note at the best of times. While sitting it's almost impossible.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Liverpool MP on BBC just now is standing against it on very flimsy principles. Claiming that people who want to stand are living in a nostalgic dreamworld. Also suggested that in 'big' games, all-seater stadia generate a perfectly good atmosphere. This is despite the crowd control expert saying (using the medium of research and FACTS) that people are already standing in all grounds, including the ones Mr Rotheram is talking about.

Singing is a standing sport - it is hard enough to hit a note at the best of times. While sitting it's almost impossible.

Fine let Liverpool have no standing then, but let everyone else who wants it, have it

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Is the Liverpool MP against it because of Hillsborough? Only my understanding is that the disaster there happened not because of standing, but because of appalling process and policing.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It will never happen at the Amex as previously stated.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I might have this wrong but aren't L1 & L2 clubs allowed to have terraces still? It's once you get to the Championship or PL you have to convert it all.

If I'm right, wouldn't that make this a non-story? (If I'm wrong I can obviously be completely ignored!)

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames

I don't think even he was sure what his viewpoint was. Used the Mersey and north London derbies as examples of great atmosphere. At both of these games you will see both ends standing for the entire game. D'oh!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I might have this wrong but aren't L1 & L2 clubs allowed to have terraces still? It's once you get to the Championship or PL you have to convert it all.

If I'm right, wouldn't that make this a non-story? (If I'm wrong I can obviously be completely ignored!)

Teams can keep standing areas for three seasons if they stay up from league one, for example Yeovil still have standing but they are going back down so they are keeping it

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I would imagine that until such time as the legislation is changed, if that is ever, if Brizzle get promoted back to the Championship, people would have to sit in the safe-standing cheap plastic seats.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Not once theyve had two seasons in the Championship.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
There was a report in the papers a few weeks back about how atrocious the planning function is in Bristol.

They gave a number of examples of redevelopments that had been stuck in planning and then run out of steam. Bristol City's ground was one development cited.

They compared Bristol to Cardiff where a lot of great development had been pushed through and begged the question as to how much inward investment had been lost in Bristol due to planning bureaucracy.

Going off at a slight tangent but I believe Bristol's planning problems are more to do with local politics/politicians as well as local residents objecting to what the Planning Department and the Planning Officers are trying to get approved rather than the 'planning function' itself being atrocious. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here