Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think our manager won the game for us tonight.

Bringing on KLL was a good but predictable move but to bring on Buckley on the other wing was a master stroke.
Winning 1.0 it would have been easy to take march off & bring JFC on to shore things up.

By bringing Buckley on he stretched the Leeds defence so when buckley or KLL got the ball they had space to run into.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
While I agree, I also think Buckley would have come on regardless of the score to aid his return to match fitness

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I agree with the OP on this. Almost always you see a defender or at least a defensive player brought on to shore things up. It was good to see OG bringing on a player that gave Leeds something to think about instead of being able to throw everybody into our half.

Don't want to open a can of worms but Gus would have brought on Dunk.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
i think he's starting to flex his managerial muscles a bit - he knows its a pivotal part of the year and is beginning to take calculated risks.

Perhaps this is his 'attacking' philosophy: not sitting back on a lead but giving the defense breathing space by mixing it up and utilising pace in the final 1/3 of the game. It also helps having Buckley on his way back and Rodney; we can mix it up instead of relying solely on KLL/Solly for pace and continue to torment tiring defenses late in the game.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Biggest difference between Oscar and Poyet. Oscar makes more attacking substitutions when we're winning. You can bet your bottom dollar Poyet would have brought on a more defensive player in the same scenario.

I prefer Oscar's way.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Great to be able to have players with pace start the game and be able to have players with even more pace on the bench to take pressure of defence in last 30 mins.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was very good as meant that Leeds were pinned back on both wings, meant we didn't just sit deep and soak up pressure for the final 10 mins. Was fully expecting Spanish Dave or JFC to come on. Good stuff.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Oscar wins us the cup ( long shot), and gets us promotion ( don't rule it out yet ) this season, after inheriting a club in crisis, then he will simply not just be the best albion manager ever, but he'll be one of the best managers any club has ever had.

Let's burn these white flags that NSC has been raising this week. Reclaim those thrown in towels. Believe it will happen.

1 point of the playoffs with Reading to play at home.

2 games away from a Wembley semi-final.

Lets really drink some sangria in May.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Biggest difference between Oscar and Poyet. Oscar makes more attacking substitutions when we're winning. You can bet your bottom dollar Poyet would have brought on a more defensive player in the same scenario.

I prefer Oscar's way.

Said exactly the same thing at the time when Buckley came on. Absolutely no way would Poyet have made that substitution.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It's doubtful that Gus would have had two wingers and a striker on the bench let alone deployed them all in a winning position.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The Buckley substitution was probably pre-planned but it worked wonders, felt a lot less tension in the final ten minutes than I did against Birmingham and Doncaster.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I said right at the beginning of the season that I like his calm and understated manner. I think what he is achieving this season is incredible. He has replaced a manger that brought this club incredible success and a new identity. He has also had to over see the leaving of Bridcutt (one of the best players to play for this club), he has coped with an horrendous injury list, he has had the spectre of the FFP in the back ground - not once have I heard him look for any excuses when we have lost. He has brought on some incredible young talent. The man is class - he may never have a career as a football pundit but that job is for those that can't manage....................he is the real deal. This season is building very very nicely.

OH OSCAR GARCIA!!!!!!!!!!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If Oscar wins us the cup ( long shot), and gets us promotion ( don't rule it out yet ) this season, after inheriting a club in crisis, then he will simply not just be the best albion manager ever, but he'll be one of the best managers any club has ever had.

Let's burn these white flags that NSC has been raising this week. Reclaim those thrown in towels. Believe it will happen.

1 point of the playoffs with Reading to play at home.

2 games away from a Wembley semi-final.

Lets really drink some sangria in May.

I have to say a completely mad post but I love it! Hope you are Nostradamus !

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Oscar had March, Spanish Rod, Kaz and Bucks on the pitch in the same game and with at least 2 at a time out wide!! That's what pushed Leeds back and that's what won us the game. We might not have won that under GP last year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oscar had March, Spanish Rod, Kaz and Bucks on the pitch in the same game and with at least 2 at a time out wide!! That's what pushed Leeds back and that's what won us the game. We might not have won that under GP last year.

Quite agree.

Though I wonder if his tactics were wrong in the first half as we seemed very narrow compared to Saturday.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good points. The times when Gus brought on subs after we went behind were many. Oscar seems to see when we need changing.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Brilliant to have lots of pace on the bench. Whilst I was surprised Buckers came on I was also delighted that Oscar was using it to the full. 2/3 defenders on Kaz & 2 tied up with Buckley helped stop the flow of their attacks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here