Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The power of three: Why 4-4-2 isn’t the answer for Brighton

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've been keen recently to write a blog about the formation we use and why I think it's better than the much-vaunted 4-4-2.

I don't think it's necessarily my best work (a bit rushed and I'm tired) but it gets my argument in favour of 4-5-1 across, I think.

Any feedback is welcome, and any counter argument in favour of 4-4-2 as well.

http://panopticview.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/brighton-power-of-three/

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I personally feel that we play more of a 4-2-3-1 than anything, but that's irrelevant anyway. It is better for the whole team when we have attacking wingers and a man in the centre who also attacks. I do feel however, the man in the centre should be used to possibly support Ulloa more rather than to drift wide like Orlandi does and the wingers should be pacey and looking to get the ball in the box/cutting inside and taking shots. . 2 defensive midfielders, a back 4 and attacking players is where it's at in my opinion. Really don't see a role for Lopez this year if we want to go up as he isn't up to it unless he improves-not saying he's bad, as his passing is good, it's just he isn't the standard he was last season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I like your posts. I particularly like this post. I especially like this thread's title, but I'm not so sure that you need to spend so much time speaking to people that are living in the 1980s -- the worst decade, if ever there was one. Oscar quite simply is not going to play for 4-4-2. Nor is Guardiola. Nor is Klopp. Nor is Mourinho. You might see some interesting variant of it in the World Cup, but -- what was that Monty Python sketch -- it is no longer.

As regards your post:
It’s not a finished project by any means, but one such move saw Rodriguez drive into the middle, Orlandi sweep the ball on with the outside of his boot and Leonardo Ulloa chesting and volleying the ball narrowly wide. The speed of passing was as eye-catching as it was effective.

This is the kind of thing Oscar wants and, if given the time, this is what we'll get. Thanks for picking out this move. Long may it continue.

And you're right about this too:

Against Leeds the team started with Rodriguez and March, and brought on LuaLua and the returning Buckley. Four very quick players who offer different options.
If we can keep the wingers fit, and the team gets more used to a fluid and mobile approach, the business end of the season could be a lot of fun.

We've got a game against Hull in the Cup in six days, then another home game against Wigan six days later. Win those, and then even the whingers might pipe down, it might be too much to expect them to sing praise, but they might be quiet for a while.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh. One other thing: Ulloa was rubbish tonight. One heck of a finish, though, which kind of disproves the previous sentence.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oh. One other thing: Ulloa was rubbish tonight. One heck of a finish, though, which kind of disproves the previous sentence.

I can accept him trading in his first touch for a goal every game

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brilliant, brilliant blog article! Very well written and fills a big gap in the Albion blog / website world, to share an opinion on tactics and strategy about our side.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We hardly even have a formation under Oscar most of the time, it's very fluid. Even Greer got down the wing at times yesterday! So I'm not even sure it's worth talking in terms of 4-4-2, 4-3-3, etc?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We hardly even have a formation under Oscar most of the time, it's very fluid. Even Greer got down the wing at times yesterday! So I'm not even sure it's worth talking in terms of 4-4-2, 4-3-3, etc?

It was prompted by the number of people I've seen saying we should be playing two recognised out-and-out strikers in a 4-4-2.

It might be fluid but, in a similar vein to the iconic 'total football' Dutch side of the seventies, the players switch position but all positions get filled. When Greer drove forward Ince would be moving the other direction so that at most he was level with him, if not deeper.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was prompted by the number of people I've seen saying we should be playing two recognised out-and-out strikers in a 4-4-2.

It might be fluid but, in a similar vein to the iconic 'total football' Dutch side of the seventies, the players switch position but all positions get filled. When Greer drove forward Ince would be moving the other direction so that at most he was level with him, if not deeper.

Do you read Jonathan Wilson in The Guardian, whose also written a few books on formations and systems? If not, let me recommend him. Or, should that rather be, let's recommend him to the 4-4-2ers?

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Do you read Jonathan Wilson in The Guardian, whose also written a few books on formations and systems? If not, let me recommend him. Or, should that rather be, let's recommend him to the 4-4-2ers?

I've been meaning to read Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics for ages but not got round to it. I follow him on Twitter, if that counts?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've been meaning to read Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics for ages but not got round to it. I follow him on Twitter, if that counts?

Inverting the Pyramid is fascinating, and wonderfully written. Highly recommended. I think it'd be right up your street.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very good article.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here