Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barber on FFP

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Yes, again!

Some interesting points though:

- Football League are looking at live testing of club's FFP position, with a view to not allowing transfers if you are looking like failing the FFP tests. This is just a proposal at moment.
- Fines are going to go to charity.
- 21 of the 24 current championship clubs voted for FFP.
- Transfer embargoes will not only stop a club from signing players BUT ALSO stop clubs extending contracts.
- PB says FFP is not a perfect system but it is moving in the right direction.

2 more vids to follow tomorrow and Thursday on Transfer Window, season ticket prices and football league consultation re safe standing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If a club gets anything more than a suspended fine and a slap on the wrist I'll be amazed to be honest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fines go to charity. So the more you cheat the more lives you save? Not sure about that as a mixed message.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Interesting point made about clubs not allowed to make contract extensions.

Wonder if that includes when a player makes x amount of appearances for a contract extension, will they not be allowed to play then ???

Can see some tasty transfers being made!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Fines go to charity. So the more you cheat the more lives you save? Not sure about that as a mixed message.

I thought fines were going to be distributed to other clubs? Or was that something different?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Interesting point made about clubs not allowed to make contract extensions.

Wonder if that includes when a player makes x amount of appearances for a contract extension, will they not be allowed to play then ???

Can see some tasty transfers being made!

And some expensive players being released for free.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I thought fines were going to be distributed to other clubs? Or was that something different?

They were originally, but as the clubs being fined were now in the Premier League, the Premier League complained and the money is now going to charity. Or something like that anyway.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ridiculous that fines are not distributed evenly to the clubs that adhere to the rules. Not that the powers that be will have the balls to impose any regardless.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The more I hear about FFP the more I think it amounts to a massive opportunity for lawyers.

All kinds of loopholes already seem possible, and more will doubtless emerge as the "details" become clearer.

Then there are all the various legal challenges that will emerge: some all at once, some made by representatives of clubs, some representating players, some representing others.

I think the principles behind FFP are sound and the club is right to comply, but I suspect we'll end up with a messy compromise within a few years, by which time certain clubs will have driven a coach and horses through the regulations and probably benefited.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They were originally. The FL changed the destination 2 or 3 months ago.

Better than nothing.
The Premier League objected to the fines, so the FL decided to give the fines to charity - which would make it pretty much impossible for the PL to complain.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Better than nothing.
The Premier League objected to the fines, so the FL decided to give the fines to charity - which would make it pretty much impossible for the PL to complain.

Oh, you shouldn't read anything negative in my comment; it was just a factual response. I do think that it would have been much better to spread the fines across compliant clubs (which might be as few as, say, 10), but fines going to charity are, as you say, better than nothing.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
On the point of it being 'the more you cheat the more lives you save', I'd bet money that the charities proposed to receive the funds are one of the nonsense FA 'get kids playing football' ones as opposed to ones that actually need money to find cures for diseases and help those in need.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA have to try and make FFP work but have they really thought this charity thing through? Even the clubs adhering to FFP will still be losing money year in year out, and if applied properly the fines will be potentially huge. How can football afford to see this massive outflow of cash from the game?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Better than nothing.

Given the fines will be minimal when compared to the treasure of ending up in the PL maybe the league should give a suspended sentence of minus 15 points to the cheaters and it will be enacted when they next fall into the league ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Given the fines will be minimal when compared to the treasure of ending up in the PL maybe the league should give a suspended sentence of minus 15 points to the cheaters and it will be enacted when they next fall into the league ?

Interesting idea. Can't immediately think of a reason not to do this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

That is a great idea.

I actually think the fines should be as much as the Premier League TV share, for as long as the team is in the Premier League, so there is no financial advantage at all for going up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the point of it being 'the more you cheat the more lives you save', I'd bet money that the charities proposed to receive the funds are one of the nonsense FA 'get kids playing football' ones as opposed to ones that actually need money to find cures for diseases and help those in need.

If the choice were restricted purely to football-related charities the lucky beneficiaries will be using crocodile skin football boots, ivory goalposts, silk nets and the ref will have a gold-plated whistle.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here