Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Skiing in England - anyone tried it?

0 Not allowed!
    Evening all,

The Winter Olympics has rekindled my urge to ski again...

I've read about several ski resorts in England. Apparently there are about 5 or 6. 1 in the lakes as the remainder in the Northern Pennines. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	51125

I looked today expecting there to be no skiing (we've had very little snow here other than a light dusting on the very tops) but the Lakes run (called Raise) has plenty of snow and good skiing! It's only 2.5hrs on a good run from here so I'm tempted to give it a go. Has anyone else tried them?

They have button lifts and are obviously limited for run length.

This is a shot from yesterday's cam at Raise...

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Go for it, let us know how you get on
      What?

0 Not allowed!
      Looks like Sheffield's closer to you.
      Exiled amongst the red and white, at the wrong end of the A/M27. (P)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.........Time to die.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by skipper734 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Looks like Sheffield's closer to you.
      Sheffield ski village was a dry ski slope as it's closed down now. A real shame as I used to go there in the 90's when I was a student. There's a dry slope in Halifax - I might give it a go soon.

Raise is outside on real snow - I may well give it a go when I'm next off at the weekend and I'll report back!

0 Not allowed!
      Those ski slopes in the northern Pennines in Cumbria/Durham/Northumberland, consist of one tow lift each I think, and need a sustained cold and snowy spell to be operative i.e. not this winter (so far).

E.g. At Yad Moss, Allenheads.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxSeagull View Post
      Sheffield ski village was a dry ski slope as it's closed down now. A real shame as I used to go there in the 90's when I was a student. There's a dry slope in Halifax - I might give it a go soon.

Raise is outside on real snow - I may well give it a go when I'm next off at the weekend and I'll report back!
      I thought Sheffield was a Snow Dome.

Hang on............ it is a Snow Dome. http://www.snowdome.co.uk/ski-snowboard/
      Exiled amongst the red and white, at the wrong end of the A/M27. (P)

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion, I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.........Time to die.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by skipper734 View Post
      I thought Sheffield was a Snow Dome.

Hang on............ it is a Snow Dome. http://www.snowdome.co.uk/ski-snowboard/
      That's Tanworth in the Midlands. The snow village in Sheffield has closed due to a fire destroying one of main buildings.

Chill factor ar Manc is alright but not very long and always heaving...

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxSeagull View Post
      That's Tanworth in the Midlands. The snow village in Sheffield has closed due to a fire destroying one of main buildings.

Chill factor ar Manc is alright but not very long and always heaving...
      Yup, I went to one of these indoor places in London, they charge £35 odd quid and by the time you've paid train fare and for other bits and bobs you end up spending near enough a hundred quid and to be honest its not worth it anyway its a tiny little slope and if you've been skiing properly somewhere its a real let down, think I'd just prefer to save and go on a cheap holiday in France or Switzerland or even Scotland, although Scotland is surprisingly expensive and weather conditions can be exceptionally bad even when it snows. (High winds & low visibility)

Although if you can afford it, which one upon a time I could, Finland is a stunning place to ski.

0 Not allowed!
      I really enjoyed Sierra Nevada in Spain. The slopes were a bit limited but in the near constant sun shine it was so warm - you could have skied in a t shirt if you wanted.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Yep. Sheffield, as mentioned, Newhaven!, and in Wales, Merthyr Tydfil.