Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skiing in England - anyone tried it?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Evening all,

The Winter Olympics has rekindled my urge to ski again...

I've read about several ski resorts in England. Apparently there are about 5 or 6. 1 in the lakes as the remainder in the Northern Pennines. image.jpg

I looked today expecting there to be no skiing (we've had very little snow here other than a light dusting on the very tops) but the Lakes run (called Raise) has plenty of snow and good skiing! It's only 2.5hrs on a good run from here so I'm tempted to give it a go. Has anyone else tried them?

They have button lifts and are obviously limited for run length.

This is a shot from yesterday's cam at Raise...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Looks like Sheffield's closer to you.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Looks like Sheffield's closer to you.

Sheffield ski village was a dry ski slope as it's closed down now. A real shame as I used to go there in the 90's when I was a student. There's a dry slope in Halifax - I might give it a go soon.

Raise is outside on real snow - I may well give it a go when I'm next off at the weekend and I'll report back!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Those ski slopes in the northern Pennines in Cumbria/Durham/Northumberland, consist of one tow lift each I think, and need a sustained cold and snowy spell to be operative i.e. not this winter (so far).

E.g. At Yad Moss, Allenheads.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Sheffield ski village was a dry ski slope as it's closed down now. A real shame as I used to go there in the 90's when I was a student. There's a dry slope in Halifax - I might give it a go soon.

Raise is outside on real snow - I may well give it a go when I'm next off at the weekend and I'll report back!

I thought Sheffield was a Snow Dome. :facepalm:

Hang on............ it is a Snow Dome. http://www.snowdome.co.uk/ski-snowboard/

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That's Tanworth in the Midlands. The snow village in Sheffield has closed due to a fire destroying one of main buildings.

Chill factor ar Manc is alright but not very long and always heaving...

Yup, I went to one of these indoor places in London, they charge £35 odd quid and by the time you've paid train fare and for other bits and bobs you end up spending near enough a hundred quid and to be honest its not worth it anyway its a tiny little slope and if you've been skiing properly somewhere its a real let down, think I'd just prefer to save and go on a cheap holiday in France or Switzerland or even Scotland, although Scotland is surprisingly expensive and weather conditions can be exceptionally bad even when it snows. (High winds & low visibility)

Although if you can afford it, which one upon a time I could, Finland is a stunning place to ski.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I really enjoyed Sierra Nevada in Spain. The slopes were a bit limited but in the near constant sun shine it was so warm - you could have skied in a t shirt if you wanted.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I've been snowboarding in Scotland a few winters ago (if that counts), went mountain biking at Easter but there was still a lot of snow about so took the snowboard too. The Cairngorms are okay, but I wouldn't travel from the South to go again, easier and quicker to get to France.
Post up some pictures if you do go! We had 30cm fall last night, blue bird skies today and I'm sat at work :(

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
Same here, at Borowski's small indoor slope in 1980, before a school ski trip.
It did make all the difference when it came to skiing on snow, then hooked for life!
Must say it did make all the difference going for the first time skiing armed with my slough plough
Other first timers in the group wasted their first 2 days picking up the basics
Anyone know what year it closed ??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Water skiing might me a better option. A lof of Someset properties now have ski-in, ski-out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Dry slope in Telford - not tried it myself - never quite got the skiing thing

Both my sisters have come back from the Alps with some horrific injuries over the years. ACL rupture, busted pelvis [came home in an air ambulance direct to Shoreham after 2 weeks in a French hospital with that one], double wrist fracture [both sides, so couldn't even wipe her own ar$e]

Skiing - no thanks ...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

http://www.xscape.co.uk/yorkshire/concessions/sno-zone

There you go. Castleford. Have a look at that web site, that place has got everything in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here