Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP and our out of contract players

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
UEFA do have a different set of FFP rules for the Champions League and Europa Cup - It is based a around a maximum wage bill for the club - not in percentage terms but a fixed cash sum the same for all clubs - as I suggested would work for the Championship.

This simply isn't true. The UEFA FFP rules are based around a break-even principle (ie their spending must be linked to the amount they earn). If club A earns twice as much as club B, they would be able to spend twice as much. There is not a fixed figure that applies to all clubs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Football can't carry on as it is. That we can't break even on 25k+ crowds shows that something has to change. As others have said, there will be a period of readjustment whilst clubs (and agents!) get used to the new rules, but I think FFP will be of benefit to football in the long term.

Wages at their current level are clearly not sustainable.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Football can't carry on as it is. That we can't break even on 25k+ crowds shows that something has to change. As others have said, there will be a period of readjustment whilst clubs (and agents!) get used to the new rules, but I think FFP will be of benefit to football in the long term.

Wages at their current level are clearly not sustainable.

Agree completely that something needs to change. Clubs shouldn't be targeting ONLY losing £8million a year.

But not sure FFP in its current form will work. People will find ways round it. Those who don't will pay the fines. There will always be some who just don't learn from other clubs' mistakes or just ignore it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
FFP has to work. The current spend, spend, spend mentality of many FL clubs is unsustainable. It appears most Championship clubs now recognise this (21 out of 24, according to PB). Sooner or later, the players and agents will have to lower their wage expectations, and that is good news. Parachute payments is another problem that must be addressed tho'. In its current form, and combined with FFP, the financial advantage to clubs relegated from the Prem is going to grow.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Agree completely that something needs to change. Clubs shouldn't be targeting ONLY losing £8million a year.

But not sure FFP in its current form will work. People will find ways round it. Those who don't will pay the fines. There will always be some who just don't learn from other clubs' mistakes or just ignore it.

£8m is only for this season. The allowance will reduce further in future seasons. This part of FFP - steady introduction, rather than 'big bang' approach, makes sense.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Players would lower their wage expectations if there wasn't a string of other clubs willing to match them...

But the list of other (p1ss-take) clubs is going to get shorter and shorter (providing the parachute payments issue is addressed).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
But the list of other (p1ss-take) clubs is going to get shorter and shorter (providing the parachute payments issue is addressed).

There is the issue. FFP will not work while Parachute Payments exist in their current form. The financial incentive of getting up will always tempt a few clubs' chairman to roll the dice and take a risk.

If FFP does all it sets out to, but Parachute Payments are not addressed, surely it will do little more than establish an even wider gap between the Premier League and everyone else.

Also it will essentially restrict smaller clubs from smaller towns to the lower divisions. Doesn't seem all that fair to me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
FFP has to work. The current spend, spend, spend mentality of many FL clubs is unsustainable. It appears most Championship clubs now recognise this (21 out of 24, according to PB). Sooner or later, the players and agents will have to lower their wage expectations, and that is good news. Parachute payments is another problem that must be addressed tho'. In its current form, and combined with FFP, the financial advantage to clubs relegated from the Prem is going to grow.

21 out of the 24 signed up to it - does not mean that 21 out of 24 are going to adhere to it!

Parachute payments - I agree, but it does not necessarily give them an advantage. 60m over 4 years at an average of 15m a year (I know it does not work like that, but cannot find the breakdown for some reason) "only" finances 10 average waged premier league players (who are almost certainly not average ability premier league players) for a year (I think). What has to happen is relegation clauses, really.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
There is the issue. FFP will not work while Parachute Payments exist in their current form. The financial incentive of getting up will always tempt a few clubs' chairman to roll the dice and take a risk.

If FFP does all it sets out to, but Parachute Payments are not addressed, surely it will do little more than establish an even wider gap between the Premier League and everyone else.

Also it will essentially restrict smaller clubs from smaller towns to the lower divisions. Doesn't seem all that fair to me.

Have to agree. Parachute Payments - there must be a better way, surely?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
21 out of the 24 signed up to it - does not mean that 21 out of 24 are going to adhere to it!

Parachute payments - I agree, but it does not necessarily give them an advantage. 60m over 4 years at an average of 15m a year (I know it does not work like that, but cannot find the breakdown for some reason) "only" finances 10 average waged premier league players (who are almost certainly not average ability premier league players) for a year (I think). What has to happen is relegation clauses, really.

Agreed - and for that to work, the relegation clauses must be mandated which, unfortunately, seems unlikely.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Isnt the major objective of the keeper is to not concede goals and catch the ball. This is where TK far exceeds our other keepers so the odd miskick, and it is usually one or two a game, can be excused.

A) Kuipers was never excused and his kicking was much better; B) It's almost every kick!!

I agree I think shot stopping is a far greater skill but, to dredge up a very old example, Henderson was a shite shot-stopper but distributed well and was considered a better goalkeeper (by a very large group of our fans) than Kuipers despite the latter's superior 'keeping

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

The transfer embargo's will hurt more than the fines. Lets face it, a £10m fine for the multimillionaire owners that are in charge of some clubs (Forest and QPR) won't be missed that much.

Not being able to sign another 5 forwards might!

As for parachute payments, these will effectively create a closed shop for the PL. It stinks.

May 18, 2013
Excuse my ignorance, but if youth and development costs aren't included in the FFP rules, does that mean that when we sign a player for the development squad their transfer fee and wages are exempt from FFP?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here