Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else a bit meh about the winter Olympics?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Clare Balding is doing her best but she's just a bit dull, she's not Hazel Irvine aka the eye candy from the golf.
Looking forward to the mens double luge mind, has to be the oddest sport ive ever seen.

luge.jpg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The timings are effecting it for me, only seem to get the highlights and that loses the appeal for me. the snowboarding was pretty impressive though

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Clare Balding is doing her best but she's just a bit dull, she's not Hazel Irvine aka the eye candy from the golf.
Looking forward to the mens double luge mind, has to be the oddest sport ive ever seen.

luge.jpg

What the hell is odd about 2 lycra clad men horizontally 'as one' hurtling down an ice tunnel at 100mph on a tea-tray ffs? Beats F1 and darts.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The gold medal winner of the woman's snowboarding was worth a look!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What the hell is odd about 2 lycra clad men horizontally 'as one' hurtling down an ice tunnel at 100mph on a tea-tray ffs? Beats F1 and darts.

When you put it like! But image if they had to dodge darts!
TV gold my friend!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's all pretty much the same stuff really, Sliding down a hill and either jumping or doing mid air acrobatics and then sliding again or just keep sliding. This on one big ski or two small ones all powered by gravity and lubricated by ice. The upgrade is to do the sliding in a " U " shaped channel either head first or arse first on a tin tray or in a pedal car with the pedals removed. All this to the accompaniment of cow bells and people shouting odd noises.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's all pretty much the same stuff really, Sliding down a hill and either jumping or doing mid air acrobatics and then sliding again or just keep sliding. This on one big ski or two small ones all powered by gravity and lubricated by ice. The upgrade is to do the sliding in a " U " shaped channel either head first or arse first on a tin tray or in a pedal car with the pedals removed. All this to the accompaniment of cow bells and people shouting odd noises.

You missed out the '...and that's why it is brilliant'.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm quite surprised we've not had an "I would " themed thread about Jenny Jones yet. I'm rather concerned that NSC is losing its mojo.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
hold no interest for me at all, only just found out its the winter version as it was reported on the news we had won our first ever medal on snow.:D

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The... standard, shall we say, of female competitor at the winter olympics is superior to that of the summer games. Which is a bonus.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Winter Olympics seems like a massively bloated event to justify its own existence. How many different ways and combinations of people can they think of to slide down some ice? Does no one get the impression they add in as many things as possible to make it seem like a sister event to the main Olympics, when really its the equivalent of one section of the main Olympics (like track and field, cycling etc.) held at a different time of year. If they just held it in the winter before the Olympics and carried over the medals it might be a serious event, but obviously the financial rewards of doing this would much less.

Then you get all the athletes moaning because we don't give them funding to pursue their hobby of sliding down slippery hills on a tea tray. Could not be less interested.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm quite surprised we've not had an "I would " themed thread about Jenny Jones yet. I'm rather concerned that NSC is losing its mojo.

That's because most of us are " Going for Gold " with the American scratch that won.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Winter Olympics seems like a massively bloated event to justify its own existence. How many different ways and combinations of people can they think of to slide down some ice? Does no one get the impression they add in as many things as possible to make it seem like a sister event to the main Olympics, when really its the equivalent of one section of the main Olympics (like track and field, cycling etc.) held at a different time of year. If they just held it in the winter before the Olympics and carried over the medals it might be a serious event, but obviously the financial rewards of doing this would much less.

Then you get all the athletes moaning because we don't give them funding to pursue their hobby of sliding down slippery hills on a tea tray. Could not be less interested.

It's a massive deal in other countries, just not ours for obvious reasons.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's a massive deal in other countries, just not ours for obvious reasons.

Exactly. It's one of the only events in the world whereby we didn't really found it. We just have good enough athletes to take part. I don't have a huge affinity to skiing, I've been twice, but I appreciate it is a great sport, not forgetting all the other events.

Dismissing bob/skeleton/luge as just sliding down ice is ridiculous. I bet you've shat yourself tumbling over ice.

Why should the winter and summer Olympics be compared? The only similarity is the word Olympics. Darts (a pub game enjoyed by cholesterol ridden men and women) shares the same name with the 'beautiful game' (and it is not really a beautiful game, is it?).

Maybe the average Brit would feel a little differently about the games if they made an effort to build an ice rink or two. Skating is a legitimate sport and should be encouraged. But then, Brighton houses a very young population and sees fit to offer limited sports facilities, so what chance does the country hold?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here