Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm sorry, but ski-jumping is a piece of PISS

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've been watching it for several hours this weekend, so naturally I am now an EXPERT.

OK. For starters, the "ramp". Its got grooves that you just jam your ski's into. Same for everyone. Arms behind the back, lift your arse off the bench, ride the rail down to the end, and WOOF. You're basically going down on rails.

Secondly, its not really a ramp. Its a gradual slope. A ramp should have a LIP on the end that actually catapults you into the air. Not this. Its just a LEDGE that you eventually drop off.

Thirdly, the skier is never actually more than 6 metres above the ground, at any point. Yes they travel a long way at about 60mph, but its not like they're properly up in the air. The slope of the landing area is right there with them the whole way, a couple of feet below. Just keep your ski's straight for the landing Olaf, and you'll be fine. Doddle.

Downhill slalom ? Proper mental. Luge ? Jees, thats 6 months in traction just WAITING to happen. Ski jump ? Pfff. Do me a lemon. Sounds dangerous, but is actually no more hazardous than making a sandwich with some chicken liver pate thats two days out of date.

There, I said it.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
haha was thinking that myself but would never have the balls to try it. the crash from last month looked horrific though

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've been watching it for several hours this weekend, so naturally I am now an EXPERT.

OK. For starters, the "ramp". Its got grooves that you just jam your ski's into. Same for everyone. Arms behind the back, lift your arse off the bench, ride the rail down to the end, and WOOF. You're basically going down on rails.

Secondly, its not really a ramp. Its a gradual slope. A ramp should have a LIP on the end that actually catapults you into the air. Not this. Its just a LEDGE that you eventually drop off.

Thirdly, the skier is never actually more than 6 metres above the ground, at any point. Yes they travel a long way at about 60mph, but its not like they're properly up in the air. The slope of the landing area is right there with them the whole way, a couple of feet below. Just keep your ski's straight for the landing Olaf, and you'll be fine. Doddle.

Downhill slalom ? Proper mental. Luge ? Jees, thats 6 months in traction just WAITING to happen. Ski jump ? Pfff. Do me a lemon. Sounds dangerous, but is actually no more hazardous than making a sandwich with some chicken liver pate thats two days out of date.

There, I said it.

Looking forward to your review of Stone Sliding

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Go on - try it. You know you want to.

There may be no snow around here at the moment but start with a skateboard and launch yourself down a slide.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here