Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Expats - loss of BBC channels?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well it seems the much talked about new satellites for Sky and Freesat are now becoming operational and the footprint has shrunk.

We have lost BBC 1 and BBC 4 and occasionally BBC 2 in SW France. I assume we are going to lose more channels as they switch over?

Anyone else have the same problem and is the solution just getting a bigger dish?

Also lost Radio 2 :down:

Input welcome...thanks

I hope it's not just me and the problem is something else

http://www.thelocal.fr/20140206/bbc-satellite-switch-leaves-expats-in-dark

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sadly it's the way it is. In Cyprus now even a 4.2m satellite dish can no longer receive the BBC channels, my brother now has a very large wok/paella pan on legs in his back garden!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well it seems the much talked about new satellites for Sky and Freesat are now becoming operational and the footprint has shrunk.

We have lost BBC 1 and BBC 4 and occasionally BBC 2 in SW France. I assume we are going to lose more channels as they switch over?

Anyone else have the same problem and is the solution just getting a bigger dish?

Also lost Radio 2 :down:

Input welcome...thanks

I hope it's not just me and the problem is something else

http://www.thelocal.fr/20140206/bbc-satellite-switch-leaves-expats-in-dark

Just watch it via the internet instead.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We've lost all BBC channels and the others are supposed to be going to.

As far as I can see only two options - internet TV or Sky subscription

Won't a sky subscription bring the same problems, people with Sky in our area have also lost BBC?

A bit of research suggests a 100 cm dish in the Toulouse area will work, just need to check it a bit more thoroughly.

A decent internet connection would solve it for those that have one I imagine.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
shit,thought it was only me

been getting NI BBC2 (972) & BBC Oxford (965) but that now is going

watched M of D last night through tv guide uk,not a bad stream tbh

but no red button for football league show on a sunday morning :angry:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Won't a sky subscription bring the same problems, people with Sky in our area have also lost BBC?

A bit of research suggests a 100 cm dish in the Toulouse area will work, just need to check it a bit more thoroughly.

A decent internet connection would solve it for those that have one I imagine.

but if you live in France you shouldn't (legally) have Sky.....spend more time in your English abode !

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Lost all BBC tv & radio channels here on the Costa del Sol & ITV due to go later this week. However as it was widely forecast long before Thursday last switch off there has been much discussion & alternatives suggested amongst the ex-pats. Most common alternative is [providing an internet speed of 2mb or above, not always so here in Spain] is using IPTV via Raspberry Pi etc. If you search on Facebook for IPTV Spain you will get all the information that you can possibly digest! https://www.facebook.com/groups/iptvspain/ that will direct you there & possibly sort problems. And before the sarcastic comments come in I still pay my taxes & for a TV licence in the UK!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here