Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I know I'm biased but this is outrageous

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
'Killed with a bolt gun and fed to the carnivores at the park'

Holy shit. That is disgusting.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was going to start an RIP Giraffe (not the NSC poster), but didn't!

I must admit, I didn't realise that euthanasia/slaughter of zoo animals was relatively widespread.

What was preventing it from being relocated? EU laws? Finance?

This quote seems rather odd...

Scientific director at the zoo, Bengt Holst, told the BBC that the controlled killings prevent inbreeding and are "a little bit like a vaccination".

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If every result of inbreeding was put down, Selhurst Park would be a lot quieter

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If he had to be killed, then using the meat for the zoo's carnivores seems very sensible. To not use it at all would be very wasteful.

But did he really need to be killed? Surely if other zoos said they'd take him (which we're told they did), he should be allowed to go there.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I understand the reaction, it is bad publicity for the zoo, but at the same time, I am not quite sure, what people think lions usually eat ? Same for all the other carnivorous animals too.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
And those that eat pigs and cows see this differently because?

This was a giraffe, in a zoo. Getting killed because it is inconvenient for the managers and staff. Not a chicken on a farm,getting killed so we can benefit from it high-protein meat content.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
This was a giraffe, in a zoo. Getting killed because it is inconvenient for the managers and staff. Not a chicken on a farm,getting killed so we can benefit from it high-protein meat content.

zoo or battery farm - both the same conditions, just the label is different. Chickens and Giraffes have high protien.

It's well proven humans get get sufficient protien from beans, chick peas, lentils, dairy.... etc.

I just find it strange how those who eat meat find outrage in this.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
zoo or battery farm - both the same conditions, just the label is different. Chickens and Giraffes have high protien.

It's well proven humans get get sufficient protien from beans, chick peas, lentils, dairy.... etc.

I just find it strange how those who eat meat find outrage in this.

Feed the lions Tofu

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A giraffe is just a cow with a ****ing long neck, what is the big deal?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I used to think the Danes were quite civilised.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
A giraffe is just a cow with a ****ing long neck, what is the big deal?

You beat me to it,the only cruelty here is keeping the poor creatures in confined captivity, all zoos should be shut down and the animals put out of there misery.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The Lions get fed most of the dead animals.
I remember visiting a zoo many years ago and passing the Avery, there were quite a few dead birds on the cage floor. I asked the zoo guide what species they were, and what would happen to them, apparently they were Finches and they would be fed to the lions. Later we passed the Chimpanzees cage and a couple of Chimps were lying dead on the floor, they were very old and would be fed to the Lions.
Near the end i saw a load of Bees in the hives that had outlived their use, i was imformed they would be mashed up and fed to the Lions.
So next day the meal for the Lions was Finch, Chimps and Mushy Bees.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I was under the impression these animals were killed due to in-breeding. They were offered to another Zoo(s) but they also had animals of the same gene pool. Hence the cull. It seems a sensible approach to me to protect the future of the animals. Whether you agree with the way they were killed is a different matter.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Most of the people who work at these zoos have dedicated their lives to the conservation of animals, they obviously have a better idea of the bigger picture then any person expressing outrage about a furry animal getting killed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here