Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leaving early is getting ridiculous!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There seems to be a reasonable number of STH that don't bother attending, understandable last night for the family stand but why so in a lot of other areas? As for those moaning about the early leavers, I wonder how many of them leave 5 minutes before half time so as to get a beer! What's the difference?

D

Deleted member 22389

Since switching to the Racecourse Park and Ride, the end of match experience has been glorious.

Watch the end of the football (the bit I turned up to see). Applaud the team off. Plod down to the concourse. Have a wazz. Meet up with mates from other bits of WSU. Maybe glance at the scores. Grab a beer. Have a chat about the match. Maybe watch 10-15 mins of the televised game. Plod out to the bus with no queue. Walked staight and got a seat and then on our way.

LOVELY.

Of course I get leaving early when there are things to do. It's a Saturday INNIT. But I can't quite get my head round it being the NORM. May as well stay for another, enjoy it and be completely relaxed in my view. I couldn't stand sitting there from 85mins waiting for the ball to go dead so I can stand up and push past everyone and potentially miss something.

Again, each to their own though.

It's the same with the bicycle, no rush at the end. Just wish this weather would improve again because I don't when the last was I cycled now.

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
When the stoppage time for the second half goes up I move to an empty seat as close to the exit as I can. Then when the whistle goes I LEG it to the station. I get back to Lewes at 5.15PM and miss nothing.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When the stoppage time for the second half goes up I move to an empty seat as close to the exit as I can. Then when the whistle goes I LEG it to the station. I get back to Lewes at 5.15PM and miss nothing.

It must be a time travel train.

For an evening game I have been known to leave a minute before the whistle blows to ensure I made the 2145 to grab the 2203 west coast train from Brighton.

But...... Last night. Big crowd. Clapped players off pitch. Even stayed until Oscar came round for this applause. And was still back in Shoreham by 2230. And that was with a daudling walk to the station at falmer.

The trains are superb now. And unless there is a super tight connection for London bound folk, I really don't see the need to leave early.

Especially considering how much drama there has been in the last few minutes.

I have no problem with anyone who wishes to leave early for whatever reason, I have done so myself.

My only issue is if you do leave while the game is still being played, try not to walk as slowly as is possible up/down the stairs towards the vomitry and then stand at the entrance. There are people sat around them and they simply cannot see.

Other than that, fill your boots.

There seems to be a reasonable number of STH that don't bother attending, understandable last night for the family stand but why so in a lot of other areas?

Because people have other things to do in their lives than go to every football match at the Amex, but want a guaranteed seat when they do, and have £600 or so of disposable income available that they are prepared to spend in financially supporting the Club.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Leaving on 88 minutes saves an hour off my journey time. You wet the bed if you want to, this supporter is not for wetting the bed about people leaving the game a couple of minutes early.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For an evening game I have been known to leave a minute before the whistle blows to ensure I made the 2145 to grab the 2203 west coast train from Brighton.

But...... Last night. Big crowd. Clapped players off pitch. Even stayed until Oscar came round for this applause. And was still back in Shoreham by 2230. And that was with a daudling walk to the station at falmer.

The trains are superb now. And unless there is a super tight connection for London bound folk, I really don't see the need to leave early.

Especially considering how much drama there has been in the last few minutes.

This. On Saturday We waited until the end and were back in Lewes by 5.20. Last night (after applauding the boys off at the end) I was fearing the worst as was queuing from the bridge, then a 3 coach train pulled up and we all shuffled about 5 yards. Oh great here goes, long night. Or not, actually. A few mins later we started shuffling again, but all the way to the platform where a nice long train came in and I was back in Lewes by 10.15 and home around 10.30. Incidentally there seemed to be fewer early leavers last night too. Being home within 45 mins or so of the final whistle is perfectly acceptable IMHO.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've never left early (except after Murray's final goal against us, and that was in injury time). Last night as usual I stayed around to clap the players off the pitch and made the usual leisurely trudge to the bridge and the university car parks.

For some reason everyone was kettled in front of the ramps while the crowd built up behind us, including some lively Leeds types. We were probably only there 5 minutes but we had no idea why we were being held, or how long we'd be there. Not great for the young kids or for anyone who was just freezing cold and wanted to get home.

No idea why this happened last night but it made me sympathise with people who choose to get out of the ground early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here