Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

brighton under 16s

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
playing at lancing college v sussex tomorrow morning at 11 if playable,pitch was fine yesterday,if any of your sides have games called off,worth a watch

cdrahcir

Jun 24, 2011
Is that the show case game for all the boys that have been released - there are lots of scouts from other clubs watching to see if any are worth taking on

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Is that the show case game for all the boys that have been released - there are lots of scouts from other clubs watching to see if any are worth taking on

The U16's have not been told who is being released yet, due anytime this month though.

cdrahcir

Jun 24, 2011
The U16's have not been told who is being released yet, due anytime this month though.

They were told in Dec - two have been kept on, 7 were retained until this showcase game and 7 more were released straight away in Dec

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
They were told in Dec - two have been kept on, 7 were retained until this showcase game and 7 more were released straight away in Dec

Well my mates son plays for them. They will know very shortly whether they have been offered scholarships, or if they are being released.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Maguire-Drew, who played for the U21 against Palace is part of the U16. He's been given a 2 year scholarship plus a 3 year pro.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The game was called off yesterday.
Apart from the two lads that were given contracts last year, all of the rest of the U16's were released on Saturday. Shame.
As next week is half term the released players will be given the chance for other clubs to pick them up. They can be looked at by clubs whilst playing in Godalming, Leicester and Leeds. Presumably other teams from the South will be watching at Godalming, The Midlands at Leicester and the Northern clubs at Leeds.
Hope the lads are lucky.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The game was called off yesterday.
Apart from the two lads that were given contracts last year, all of the rest of the U16's were released on Saturday. Shame.
As next week is half term the released players will be given the chance for other clubs to pick them up. They can be looked at by clubs whilst playing in Godalming, Leicester and Leeds. Presumably other teams from the South will be watching at Godalming, The Midlands at Leicester and the Northern clubs at Leeds.
Hope the lads are lucky.

Always a shame when kids have to be released and I'd hate to have the job of telling them but it has to be done, Hopefully some of the lads will get a chance at other clubs.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Always a shame when kids have to be released and I'd hate to have the job of telling them but it has to be done, Hopefully some of the lads will get a chance at other clubs.

Indeed.
Well the release trials have taken place. I know of 3 that have secured trials with Premier league clubs, maybe more have got trials as well.
Seems strange that 13 were released not two weeks ago, yet the U16s were i believe unbeaten in 13 games.
I think a few will come back to bite Brighton on the arse in a few years.
Very weird decision to release them all. Seems that Brighton are more interested in Arsenal, Qpr released youngsters.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Indeed.
Well the release trials have taken place. I know of 3 that have secured trials with Premier league clubs, maybe more have got trials as well.
Seems strange that 13 were released not two weeks ago, yet the U16s were i believe unbeaten in 13 games.
I think a few will come back to bite Brighton on the arse in a few years.
Very weird decision to release them all. Seems that Brighton are more interested in Arsenal, Qpr released youngsters.

I don't know whether or not I've lost tracked but I seem to remember a player nicknamed Fellaini being part of the squad, has he got a contract?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I don't know whether or not I've lost tracked but I seem to remember a player nicknamed Fellaini being part of the squad, has he got a contract?

You might be talking about James Fergany (he has hair which makes him resemble Marouane). He arrived at Albion's Centre of Excellence in December 2011, and signed on as a scholar in July 2012 (he was featured in a programme at the end of the 11-12 season along with the other incoming scholars). However, he left the club just two months later, in September. No reason was ever given, that I have seen - I did use the "Ask the Club" feature on here to ask Insider about him when there had been no sign of him for a couple of months, but Insider simply replied that he wasn't registered with the club.

After he left the Albion, he was playing for Lewes U-18s (where his brother Ryan also plays).

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
You might be talking about James Fergany (he has hair which makes him resemble Marouane). He arrived at Albion's Centre of Excellence in December 2011, and signed on as a scholar in July 2012 (he was featured in a programme at the end of the 11-12 season along with the other incoming scholars). However, he left the club just two months later, in September. No reason was ever given, that I have seen - I did use the "Ask the Club" feature on here to ask Insider about him when there had been no sign of him for a couple of months, but Insider simply replied that he wasn't registered with the club.

After he left the Albion, he was playing for Lewes U-18s (where his brother Ryan also plays).

That's him!

Top player he was, really rated him when I was running the line that season. Shame, may do some investigation into that! Club could not be that unprofessional on how to treat these youngsters surely!?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
That's him!

Top player he was, really rated him when I was running the line that season. Shame, may do some investigation into that! Club could not be that unprofessional on how to treat these youngsters surely!?

Hmmmm. Let's hope the new academy actually brings through the local lads eh........:annoyed:

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That's him!

Well, sometimes these things just don't work out, I guess. Matthew Geard was a similar story; back in 2001, he left the club just months into his (then) 3-year scholarship, with his Dad Glen saying that he just wasn't enjoying it (I believe he might have briefly returned to the Albion at some point). There isn't necessarily blame to be attached, to either party (and I obviously have no idea what transpired in this case).

But if you DO find out more, send me a PM!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here