Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you be bothered if Scotland got its independance?

Well as time gets closer to the referendum for the sweaties; i'm curious to know if you would be that bothered if they left the union? We've used most of the north sea oil. 800,000 of them live in England. What would we gain/lose? Nsc..it's over to you

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There will be a mass exodus of Rab C Nesbitt's over the border , keen to exploit our over generous benefits system.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I can't see a Scottish majority voting in favour of independence to be honest with you.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Nope. In fact is delighted! The price of my prescription might go down if we don't have to subsidise their free ones

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
No , I would happily throw my Trilby in the air if they went bust.
The best laugh all year.
Go for it you sweaty socks, you deserve it.
Better than watching you in the World Cup.................................

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would rather they stayed part of the union for any number of reasons but if they make the choice otherwise - and it is rightly theirs to make - I would only be concerned if we were foolish enough to do anything other than cut them entirely adrift economically. That - in my view - should rightly be our choice to make (although I am sure that the government of the day will deny us the opportunity of a referendum on the issue).

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
There will be a mass exodus of Rab C Nesbitt's over the border , keen to exploit our over generous benefits system.

Here's one Sucked in my the media hype and the governments propaganda over benefits.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would rather they stayed part of the union for any number of reasons but if they make the choice otherwise - and it is rightly theirs to make - I would only be concerned if we were foolish enough to do anything other than cut them entirely adrift economically.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I wonder, if the people of Scotland elect to stay in the Union.......will us English be able to have a referendum whether WE still want them in the Union.
I wonder how OUR vote would pan out.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
no!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Well as time gets closer to the referendum for the sweaties; i'm curious to know if you would be that bothered if they left the union? We've used most of the north sea oil. 800,000 of them live in England. What would we gain/lose? Nsc..it's over to you

Er, re the North Sea oil, a fair amount of the North Sea oil was situated in England. The Scottish Labour Raj (Brown, Darling, Reid< Gorbals Mick etc) moved the borders whilst in power.
Take a look at this handy clip.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
See how many Labour MPs are left in England and Wales if the Scots get independence. There'll be no chance of a non-tory government ever again.

Be afraid; be very afraid, or rich.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Food for thought.
Most English voters think that because the government for the UK is in London, then England has it's own Parliament. It does not, England is the only country in the civilised world that does not have it's own Parliament.
Scotland has it's own Parliament, Wales and NI have it's own Assemblies, and no English MP's are allowed to vote on these countries issues.
Yet out of the 660+ MP's that sit/vote on issues at Westminster, about 108 are Plaid Cymru, SNP, NI DWP etc, who CAN vote on English issues.
I believe free Uni in Scotland for students, was outvoted for England, by a few votes, mainly because the 108 (roughly) MP's from these other countries, voted against the parity. I believe that Scottish students get free uni in England, but English students do not get free tuition in Scotland. Free prescriptions, free hospital parking etc is not the case in England, is it.
So when you look at the amount dished out per person from the UK taxpayer, per person.....then NI get the most, followed by Scotland, then Wales, and bringing up the rear.....England.
In terms of paying into the pot (tax) then the taxpayers of London put in more than the whole of Scotland.
I would expect a NO vote when the people of Scotland go for their vote.....wouldn't you.
I'm prepared for the incoming......:smile:

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Can someone answer this,if they vote yes and they are not in The EU does that mean our Kilted Cousins need a work permit to work in England? A no vote for sure anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here