Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Members
    somewhere between Worcestershire, Somerset or Amsterdam

Lord Smith - Environment Agency

0 Not allowed!
    I used to have some respect for Chris Smith but his performance as chair of the EA is beyond abysmal.
    Showing his understanding of the suffering of people in Somerset by telling them he was proud of his agency's achievements in managing the flooding (while their homes were even further submerged, pumps failed, and dredging still wasnt prioritised) and pointedly refusing to apologise was as massive and misjudged a demonstration of the gulf between "government" and the people they pretend to represent as I have seen in a long time.
    "Call me Dave" rolling up for a soundbite whilst avoiding having to talk to any of the residents was equally abject.
    Not a party political rant.
    Shameful and shambolic on all counts!
    1959/60 - 2018/19
    60 seasons following the Albion

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      EA is only a 3 day a week job for Smith (6 figure salary).

I believe he has other interests......
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      5 or 10 years ago there used to be all these documentaries and dramas on TV, showing what Britain will be like in 5 or 10 years when half of it is underwater.

5 or 10 years later and half of Britain is underwater and everybody seems shocked and pissed off.

BTW did I mention my flooded shed (****ing good golf clubs they were)

0 Not allowed!
      As a resident of Somerset (fortunately to the east of the main problems) I agree 100%. If this sort of thing was happening in or around London, there is no way the likes of Cameron and Smith would get away with their shocking ineptitude. Because it's happening in Somerset they think we're all six-fingered country bumpkins who don't count. Plus, we have crap broadband, crap bus services, and crap roads. No wonder most people hold politicians and their ilk in such contempt....
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Politicians held responsible for failure in their departments and resign- you must be joking! They are all in it for what they can take out and certainly not what they can give. There is barely an honourable one in any party.
      Last edited by Geriatric Seagull; 07-02-2014 at 19:57.
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geriatric Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Politicians held responsible for failure in their departments and resign.
      while the PR responce to the flooding has been appaling, how exactly have they failed? was the enviroment agency supposed to stop the rain for a month?
      The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      while the PR responce to the flooding has been appaling, how exactly have they failed? was the enviroment agency supposed to stop the rain for a month?
      Is he not ultimately responsible for his department? Are you saying that PR in the environment agency is not the responsibility of the environment agency? It appears Smith is prepared to take the salary as its head but not any responsibility when any aspect of it fails. Presumably he just sees himself as a publicly supported charity!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Geriatric Seagull View Post
      Politicians held responsible for failure in their departments and resign- you must be joking! They are all in it for what they can take out and certainly not what they can give. There is barely an honorable one in any party.
      Surely this can't be right? Don't they all refer to one another in the House of Commons as "the honourable" or "the right honourable"?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Diego Napier View Post
      Surely this can't be right? Don't they all refer to one another in the House of Commons as "the honourable" or "the right honourable"?
      Yes, but that's when they're in the queue to hand in their expenses!!!!

0 Not allowed!
      Think I heard on the radio that when he turned up a week or two back he did not even bring his wellies.

Rule No.1 when walking round a flood hit area = bring wellies suitable footwear.