Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So all football league clubs voted for safe standing.

So it looks like there has been a change in the views of our management. Didn't perry once say he would only see standing at football matches over his dead body?

So where would it be then? North stand or south stand?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Reported all morning on 5live

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, seemly they now have to lobby the government. But they now speak with one voice. The report said that it would start with championship clubs!

One expert thought that they are looking at the railed seats that they have in Germany and that if you looked at 100% of grounds where there is all seater, vast swathes of areas have people standing up and the clubs have accepted that all seater is impossible to police. There was the token Liverpool fan texting that he would rip up his season ticket if it ever happened, but the premiership were not included in this anyway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So all football league clubs voted for safe standing.

So it looks like there has been a change in the views of our management. Didn't perry once say he would only see standing at football matches over his dead body?

So where would it be then? North stand or south stand?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

1. I'm not sure there is evidence of any change at the Albion - only 70% of FL clubs are in support - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nt-in-major-move-for-safe-standing-areas.html.

2. Even if the Albion were formally in support, and I have no idea if we are or not, that's not to say we would have any intention to implement SS at the Amex. We could, of course, be wholly supportive of giving clubs the opportunity to implement SS should they so wish without having any intention of implementing it ourselves, should it get to the stage where clubs can.

I think you've put 2 and 2 together and come up with 769 here I'm afraid.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
1. I'm not sure there is evidence of any change at the Albion - only 70% of FL clubs are in support - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...nt-in-major-move-for-safe-standing-areas.html.

2. Even if the Albion were formally in support, and I have no idea if we are or not, that's not to say we would have any intention to implement SS at the Amex. We could, of course, be wholly supportive of giving clubs the opportunity to implement SS should they so wish without having any intention of implementing it ourselves, should it get to the stage where clubs can.

I think you've put 2 and 2 together and come up with 769 here I'm afraid.

I only repeated what is being said on 5 live. Many thanks for putting me and them right once again

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I only repeated what is being said on 5 live. Many thanks for putting me and them right once again

No, you haven't.

Yes, the FL have agreed to lobby the government to press for change to permit SS in our grounds. You got that bit right.

You then said it indicates there has been a change in the view of the Albion's management. I believe you're probably wrong there, given the strength of feeling expressed previously.

You then go on to speculate which part of the Amex would see SS installed. Again, even if the FL are able to successfully lobby and bring about change, there is nothing to suggest that the Albion would install SS. Just because SS would be possible, there are likely to be clubs who choose not to install it. The Albion are likely to be amongst those clubs, initially at least, I believe.

I really don't think 5Live spoke about the Albion changing their view, spoke about Martin Perry or where in the Amex would see SS installed. Or did they...?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No, you haven't.

Yes, the FL have agreed to lobby the government to press for change to permit SS in our grounds. You got that bit right.

You then said it indicates there has been a change in the view of the Albion's management. I believe you're probably wrong there, given the strength of feeling expressed previously.

You then go on to speculate which part of the Amex would see SS installed. Again, even if the FL are able to successfully lobby and bring about change, there is nothing to suggest that the Albion would install SS. Just because SS would be possible, there are likely to be clubs who choose not to install it. The Albion are likely to be amongst those clubs, initially at least, I believe.

I really don't think 5Live spoke about the Albion changing their view, spoke about Martin Perry or where in the Amex would see SS installed. Or did they...?

Ok fair enough. I am wrong again and you are right. I withdraw my thread, please delete it as you feel fit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ok fair enough. I am wrong again and you are right. I withdraw my thread, please delete it as you feel fit.

My, you are precious.

It's a valid thread. It's a positive step in the direction of Safe Standing.

I just wanted to temper the assumptions you seem to have made about what it could mean for the Albion as I don't believe those assumptions are correct.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm a supporter of safe standing, but right now I think the Albion should be investing its pennies only in its present commitments.

However, that doesn't mean the club can't play an active role in supporting and lobbying for the introduction of safe standing and investigations to prove its acceptability.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I wrote a few articles on safe standing and spoke with Paul Barber at the time. He indicated it was Tony Bloom's view, no standing at the amex. I cannot find any evidence to support the clubs change in stance so would suspect it is still the same. I would love it to be different so if anyone has a link to the Albion publicly changing their stance I would be grateful. I fear we are part of the 30% who have chosen not to say yes.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It won't happen at the Amex. Why would they want to rip out their lovely seats? There is no profit to be made as no more people will buy tickets because of this. The attendance figure is limited by transport issues.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Just because SS would be possible, there are likely to be clubs who choose not to install it. The Albion are likely to be amongst those clubs, initially at least, I believe.

I think that's to be expected but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. As long as it's allowed and other clubs have sucessfully installed it the onus will be on us supporters to lobby for it with the Albion management, I don't think anyone would expect us to be in the first wave of clubs to install it.
If it theoretically did get the go ahead I think we'd have to pay for it ourselves to get the club to do it - I'd be fine with that if it was £50ish extra on a ST for the first season/couple of seasons.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He indicated it was Tony Bloom's view, no standing at The Amex.
No surprise that Tony Bloom is against people standing up at football matches...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Until it is allowed in the Premier League you won't see clubs like ours installing it.

Exactly. No point in spending hundreds of thousands installing it and modifying the concourses, and then being unable to use it 10 months later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here