Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone prefer it when we were in League 2?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I know it sounds odd, but does anyone miss the cold winter nights at Withdean, with a tray of chips and curry sauce in one hand, whilst maybe waving a brown envelope at the Chesterfield bench?

It's all gone a bit corporate now, and I tend to enjoy the games less.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
There was a certain romance around our Withdean exploits which I fear has now been permanently lost from the club, for better or for worse.

When the Albion were in the lower leagues, there were times when, quite frankly, games were boring. Week after week, we'd fetch up at Withdean and watch a wholly predictable easy victory. Nothing to worry about, except getting wet. Dull, dull, dull.

Adams out!

D

Deleted member 18477

League 2? Hell No!

Do I miss Withdean? Yes

Would I want to go back there? No unless we could pick up the Amex and drop it in Withdean location. I certainly don't miss the shit stadium, just the location of it.

Jam

Jan 19, 2012
I know what you mean.

The best time I had as a Brighton fan was on the bus to and from Gillingham. The ground was crap, the town was crap and the football was crap. In fact it was about the worst time to be an Albion fan, but it was still so much fun doing it every week.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I don't miss the freezing cold, soaking wet, lack of atmosphere and uncomfortable seat to be sure.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The whole Withdean experience was a fairytale. We were absolutely "skint" and playing in a joke of a stadium, yet SOMEHOW against all odds we managed to win 4 trophies in 12 years, the most successful period in the history of the club. Our time there was magical and is what being a football fan is all about.

The Amex is a new chapter, I love it, we worked so hard to get it - but it will take more than comfy seats, big screens and fancy Championship football to surpass the enjoyment I had at Withers.

I'm not unconvinced that we that we often did well at Withdean because visiting teams hated it so much, all they could think about was leaving ! 😀

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
No bloody way. The shitty Withdean, dull crowds, open to the elements and the constant mud throwing at the stewards kept me well away from the place for a long time.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I think that it was worth going through to show just how determined to survive the Albion was and it was character building.
All part of the adventure.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
In years to come withdean will mostly be remembered in a positive light much like the goldstone is .

Miss it . . There were good times but our new mrs is better in every way although she is a bit of a gold digger

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I don't miss Withdean or a lot of the crap football we had to endure either, Yes we had a bit of success there but in between the good seasons we had to put up with some real rubbish.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I miss the away fans - they were proper fans. Who else would come down from Rochdale on a Tuesday night!

The rest - nope.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I'm not unconvinced that we that we often did well at Withdean because visiting teams hated it so much, all they could think about was leaving ! 

I agree, I remember watching opposing players warm up looking around at the place thinking what the hell is this!

I don't miss it though..

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I remember the delight and applause as an Albion player played a high cross field ball and his team mate was able to control it without letting it go for a throw in. Nowadays, we take that as standard practice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here