Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham taking FA to court of arbitration

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I guess this is the way every decision that a prem club doesn't like will go....
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26039222

I doubt the FA can accuse WHU of bringing the game into disrepute but I wish they could. Just a few years ago they were let off very lightly over the Tevez/Mascheranos affair - they should have been relegated for that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Any court will throw it out . The FA are the governing body so they arbitrate the game. No court is ever going to over rule an on field issue. If they did it would send the game into chaos.

Steve Foster and cup final come to mind

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What is the point unless they hear it tomorrow as he will have served the ban by the time they make a ruling.or will this intended action bring about an automatic suspension of the ban until the case is heard.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Couldn't believe it when I read this today. Sad precedent.

He clearly swings his arm back (in frustration) and catches the player. The Swansea player makes an embarrassing meal of it but Caroll still swung his arm at him, whether or not intended to strike him in the face isn't the point- red card in my opinion. Swansea player should have got a yellow for play acting though

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What a tremendous waste of time and effort over what is essentially a non-issue.

He lashed out & got a red card whereas they don't want to go down and somehow see the Geordie battering ram as their great hope. Desperate move.

Could set a potentially very annoying precedent as well, everything getting appealed all over the place.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Couldn't believe it when I read this today. Sad precedent.

He clearly swings his arm back (in frustration) and catches the player. The Swansea player makes an embarrassing meal of it but Caroll still swung his arm at him, whether or not intended to strike him in the face isn't the point- red card in my opinion. Swansea player should have got a yellow for play acting though

Agree totally. It's a nonsense really - not as if it's mistaken identity or something. I felt it was a slightly harsh red but any football fan could see why the referee might determine otherwise. Will the court also consider the challenge earlier in the match where Carroll smashed his elbow full into Chico's face but didn't get sent off?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The swansea player should be dealt with. He was caught on the top of his head, yet went down holding his face and rolling over half a dozen times. That is cheating in my book.

If these footballers were hit on a night out, I really dont think they would be rolling over on the floor like they do on the pitch.
I feel this helped the ref come to his decision.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The swansea player should be dealt with. He was caught on the top of his head, yet went down holding his face and rolling over half a dozen times. That is cheating in my book.

If these footballers were hit on a night out, I really dont think they would be rolling over on the floor like they do on the pitch.
I feel this helped the ref come to his decision.

But - while not excusing it - if he hadn't gone down, Carroll wouldn't have been sent off. Players have to do this to show they've been struck.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
If the FA had done the right thing, overturned the red card and taken action against that cheating **** Chico this would never have happened. The FA need to stomp on this bullshit playacting epidemic, it's no better than diving, humph.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
But - while not excusing it - if he hadn't gone down, Carroll wouldn't have been sent off. Players have to do this to show they've been struck.

Players dont have to exagerate, it is cheating. If the ref/ linesman saw the incident, they should deal with it accordingly. If the ref/linesmen did not see the incident I cannot see how they can then make a decision just by seeing a player rolling around on the floor, especially with the amount of play acting going on these days. The ref needs to be 100% sure of what happened.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If the FA had done the right thing, overturned the red card and taken action against that cheating **** Chico this would never have happened. The FA need to stomp on this bullshit playacting epidemic, it's no better than diving, humph.

Exactly. It wasn't a red card offence to start with. Good on the Hammers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Players dont have to exagerate, it is cheating. If the ref/ linesman saw the incident, they should deal with it accordingly. If the ref/linesmen did not see the incident I cannot see how they can then make a decision just by seeing a player rolling around on the floor, especially with the amount of play acting going on these days. The ref needs to be 100% sure of what happened.

They do have to. The ref didn't see it.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
In my eyes he did intentionally hit him , just look at his eyes and mouth as he throws the swinging arm , his lips tighten with anger , ok Chico went down like a cry baby but it was still intentional . West Ham are panicking they will go down , their business plan for the Olympic arena was on condition they were in the Premier :lolol: I hope they play Orient next season !

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
They do have to. The ref didn't see it.

If the ref didnt, then the linesmen must have, if not, how can you send a player off without seeing the incident. Purely guesswork by the ref.

If a player goes down holding his face, yet no one has touched him, would the ref send off the nearest player? This is the scenario that you appear to be saying. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
He swung his arm with intent which is/can be a red - case closed in my mind. Yes the player made a meal of it and in hindsight a red was a bit harsh as he didn't connect but there was intent.
Maybe Sheffield Utd should go to court over the whole Tevez affair!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I felt it was a slightly harsh red but any football fan could see why the referee might determine otherwise. Will the court also consider the challenge earlier in the match where Carroll smashed his elbow full into Chico's face but didn't get sent off?

He swung his arm with intent which is/can be a red - case closed in my mind. Yes the player made a meal of it and in hindsight a red was a bit harsh as he didn't connect but there was intent.

All spot on, IMO.

I hope the ban gets EXTENDED for wasting the FA / Courts' time.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

This. it was never a sending off.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For me it was the sort of incident that if the ref didn't give a red people would be saying of it "you've seen 'em given" but not complain too much that it wasn't, but it is also an incident that the ref has every justification to give, Carroll was frustrated with Chico climbing all over him and lashed out.

The problem comes in attitudes towards diving/play acting where people excuse exaggerating effects of a foul to make an incident seem worse, thus the punishment harsher than it should be with this ridiculous argument that they are just trying to make sure the ref knows there was a foul, or in many cases just seemingly taking the position that if it's a foul there can't be a dive.

I would love to see refs start booking players who foul around after being fouled when he has given them a free kick for being fouled.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here