Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton v Wolves, League Cup, 1969...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone on NSC attend this intriguing match? Or indeed the previous rounds against Portsmouth and Birmingham?

Cracking four page preview produced by the Evening Argus at the time:

wolvesupplement.jpg

With those white sleeves and shorts shining under the floodlights, I can see the rationale for why Freddie Goodwin wanted Brighton to switch to all white in the following 1970/71 campaign.

I've pieced together a match report here:
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/02/06/so-near-and-yet-so-far-against-wolves/

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Other pages:

wolvespulloutp2.jpg

wolvespulloutp3.jpg

wolvespage2.jpg

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I came down to watch the Portsmouth game(from the South Stand) and if my memory serves me right Alex scored into that goal with a cracker
Wolves game I was rather the worst for ware after having a few before the match but do remember being disappointed at losing a match where we every bit as good as the visitors
and went back on the sauce with my ex father in law to drown our sorrows(that was the night I asked to marry his daughter(you done that in those days))
bad day all round then:lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mike Bailey, the man who would have kept us in Div 1, except the supporters were too impatient - sounds familr doesn't it!

What a contrast he proved as a manager to the attacking style he favoured as a midfielder. He was injured for the 1969 match. I wonder whether it would have made a difference for him to have witnessed 32,000 supporters to watch Brighton go all out for victory at the Goldstone.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I seem to have a memory of seeing a very young Hately come on for Wolves....think he was a skinhead as well, which was unusual at the time...have I got the right mattch?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think this was the season Wolves' Peter Knowles became a Jehovah's Witness. I'm not sure if he played a part in the Goldstone match.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes I was there. I believe Wolves played David Woodfield, a centre half, at centre forward. We had Alex Dawson up front and there was a cracking atmosphere under lights. I believe we started well but they ended up 3 2 winners.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
My very first ever game at the Goldstone. Ciggy smoke, Bovril & beer. What a game too. Er, not me indulging at 8 years old - but intoxicating nonetheless.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It was certainly played in a cracking atmosphere. We went 2-1 ahead as I recall - both our goals were scored in front of the North Stand and both were greeted with a hail of toilet rolls (that was what we did in those days). I was at the Birmingham game too but I can't remember anything about it.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I seem to have a memory of seeing a very young Hately come on for Wolves....think he was a skinhead as well, which was unusual at the time...have I got the right mattch?

I think he signed for Bir'min that season early on,but didn't play against us

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I had a feeling their sub was Bertie Lutton, later to play for us, but I may be completely wrong.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
My very first Albion game, and what memories.

I remember standing in the NE corner next to the North Stand, and spent as much time watching the lads singing and surging down the terrace as I did watching the game. I was hooked on football and specifically the Albion from that moment on.

Saw a brief piece on the local news earlier tonight showing the Goldstone being demolished, and whilst sad to see, it reminded me of all of the great times I had there over the years. I have pumped more adrenalin at the Goldstone than anywhere else in my life!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Have that supplement in my collection and went to all three games , brilliant memories , North stand goal net covered in bog roll v Wolves..................oh happy days

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here