Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SHOCK weather warning!! ... Atlantic SUPERSTORM to hit UK TOMORROW!!

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
The biggest wave ever in the HISTORY of the universe! ..... calls for a tsunami warning system for Britain!! ........you heard it first from the DAILY EXPRESS!

BRITAIN has been battered by the biggest wave in HISTORY - a staggering 75ft monster - just hours before a huge Atlantic superstorm is set to smash into the mainland.

A record wave has just hit Britain but forecasters warn far worse is coming A record wave has just hit Britain but forecasters warn far worse is coming

The largest wave ever seen in British waters was recorded at 3.30am yesterday by a buoy operated by the Channel Coastal Observatory off Penzance, Cornwall.

The beast destroyed the previous record British wave of 67ft and forecasters warned it was only the beginning of 72 hours of storm hell.

It came as experts recommended a TSUNAMI warning system be installed in the Atlantic to protect Britain and Ireland from enormous waves they claimed were 'increasingly likely'.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/458233/Shock-weather-warning-WORST-Atlantic-storm-of-the-winter-is-now-ROARING-towards-Britain

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I kept having to check I hadn't been redirected to The Daily Mash, was this really written by a professional journalist?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It came as experts recommended a TSUNAMI warning system be installed in the Atlantic to protect Britain and Ireland from enormous waves they claimed were 'increasingly likely'.

So exactly how does a warning system protect? It warns and enables persons to be rendered safer but does not protect.

TNBA

TTF

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I may be wrong, but are tsunami's not created by earthquakes or volcanic activity only? I don't think even the most powerful hurricane can generate the same force on the ocean as a strong seismic event?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
I may be wrong, but are tsunami's not created by earthquakes or volcanic activity only? I don't think even the most powerful hurricane can generate the same force on the ocean as a strong seismic event?

Yeah, I think that's misusing the word - tsunamis produce a different type of wave.

But I'd be more concerned about the misuse of graphics - that wave is bigger than the whole country!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

You are very much correct. A Tsunami is a wave created by an earthquake. These waves were tidal waves or even more accurately storm surges.

You also cannot really have a tsunami warning system for this sort of wave. A tsunami warning system uses seismic data, combined with sea level measurements. We would have to just rely on sea level and weather measurements, like we do all ready.

Having just read the article, our big wave warning system may be very like 'a buoy operated by the Channel Coastal Observatory off Penzance, Cornwall'. Cannot be certain though...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

So exactly how does a warning system protect? It warns and enables persons to be rendered safer but does not protect.

TNBA

TTF

It means that seaside cafes have a chance to cancel their orders for bread rolls and cakes without being stuck with them when they get flooded.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Will it be bigger than the wave at the end of Point Break?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
This storm will blow away all that snow we have had then !!

Oh hang on.....

Oh, and 60mph winds are the most Sussex will get. That picture they have used for the top of the article is the most laughable things ive ever seen. 2 hurricanes and a massive tidal wave which must be thousands of metres high - you seriously must think that they know they are useless !!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Having just read the article, our big wave warning system may be very like 'a buoy operated by the Channel Coastal Observatory off Penzance, Cornwall'. Cannot be certain though...

So, did anyone hear/see the warning - between the buoy detecting the wave, and the wave hitting land?

Has it hit land yet? :ohmy:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
thats good news then, if its in the Express it means the stormy weather is about the subside and we can look forward to some nice crisp clear mornings for a couple of weeks.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here