Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

removing soffits with asbestos

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
My son is purchasing a 1960's house and the survey states the soffits are made from asbestos paste.
I know on a standard house that changing soffits and fascias to UPVC is about £800-£1000 but how much extra do they charge for removal and disposal of the hazardous asbestos?
Anyone else have this problem before on their property ?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My son is purchasing a 1960's house and the survey states the soffits are made from asbestos paste.
I know on a standard house that changing soffits and fascias to UPVC is about £800-£1000 but how much extra do they charge for removal and disposal of the hazardous asbestos?
Anyone else have this problem before on their property ?

Can you not get the current owner to do it?

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
I think i heard that the asbestos has to be bagged and disposed of specially and it's £70 a bag just for the disposal (they're not huge bags either).

Don't mess around with trying to do this yourself and if the current owner does it, make sure he has professionals in to do it. If done incorrectly asbestos fibres can be airborne and get into the property.

My wife's father died of asbestosis, nasty.

Last edited:

NODC

Apr 19, 2012
I'm interested in this as my asbestos soffits have had wind damage (A portion has fallen down). My local waste disposal place accepts asbestos so I took it there and they happily took it.

I want to replace with upvc but not sure how to remove the remainder, read a lot online saying that soffits are considered low risk for asbestos as it’s mostly concrete but not to sure?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
You can dispose of asbestos at Hove tip if you wrap it tightly and ring them in advance to tell them you are bringing it.

We had some left in the garden of our old house. So my father-in-law who had been diagnosed with terminal cancer at the time offered to remove it... he has since been given the all clear by some kind of miracle that the docs can't explain... you do the maths, as the Americans say!!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All NSCers who want advice about asbestos please feel free to PM me - I have been dealing with asbestos issues since 1986 so know a reasonable amount about the stuff.

In general, however, if you have asbestos materials in your property, they are in good condition and won't be disturbed or damaged on a day to day basis just leave them where they are, they will NOT do you any harm! :thumbsup:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
All NSCers who want advice about asbestos please feel free to PM me - I have been dealing with asbestos issues since 1986 so know a reasonable amount about the stuff.

In general, however, if you have asbestos materials in your property, they are in good condition and won't be disturbed or damaged on a day to day basis just leave them where they are, they will NOT do you any harm! :thumbsup:

This:thumbsup:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Leave the gas stove on over night, but here's the important bit, don't light it.
Get a good nights snore and in the morning go down stairs and turn the light on.

Hey presto, no soffits.......

There's a company in Clacton that does it.:thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you go over them with plastic, you will have a duty of care to the persons carrying out the work that the asbestos is there. You wouldn't want them drilling or such into the asbestos to fit the plastic.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
If you go over them with plastic, you will have a duty of care to the persons carrying out the work that the asbestos is there. You wouldn't want them drilling or such into the asbestos to fit the plastic.

If they are proper tradesmen they would know this.
Make them a cup of tea and keep out of the way.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I removed some asbestos corrugated sheets from an old shed, hove tip took them, I just had to double wrap with plastic sheeting.

As long as your not cutting / drilling to create asbestos dust there should be no problems, there is a lot of paranoia about asbestos removal fueled by the ET like isolation gear worn by the overpriced asbestos removers. Most of the asbestos health issues are dated from when people worked unprotected cutting asbestos in factories.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Interesting thread for me. Had my soffits replaced this week. I had been told they were asbestos by the old fella in the close but got a firm in took them a day and a half. What they removed on day 1 was left outside in the front garden and when finished the next day they took it all away. Having read some of the posts on here should I be concerned....
A: that the stuff was left outside over night

B: that partials are in my loft/house?

Bare in mind none of the blokes wore any protective gear either. I ask because I know the firm (recommended) and they are fully accredited and a family team that's been around decades

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
Double bag with a thick polythene, tape up the bags and take to the local tip - they should have a separate unit / sealed skip for asbestos board. In st leonards you are limited to 6 bags at a time and they take your registration number and address.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I removed some asbestos corrugated sheets from an old shed, hove tip took them, I just had to double wrap with plastic sheeting.

As long as your not cutting / drilling to create asbestos dust there should be no problems, there is a lot of paranoia about asbestos removal fueled by the ET like isolation gear worn by the overpriced asbestos removers. Most of the asbestos health issues are dated from when people worked unprotected cutting asbestos in factories.

Dont completely agree with that. Corrugated sheeting is completely safe because it only has about 0.01% asbestos in it. The particles are bound into the fabric of the material and even if you cut into it, fibres are generally not released. Materials with a high content (possibly these soffits, they may be asbestos insulation board, which is circa 50% asbestos) you have to be a bit more careful when you handle it. High content asbestos (e.g. flock or pipe lagging) needs to be treated very carefully as the fibres are not bound together. I was an asbestos consultant for several years btw.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here