Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Peter Begrie thinks

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I agree.

Before we talk about which Championship sides flourished during the January Transfer Window, I must highlight two teams who may flounder as a result of selling prized assets.

I was stunned that Brighton allowed pivotal players Ashley Barnes and Liam Bridcutt to leave; in light of Albion's financial losses it might make business sense, but in footballing terms it makes their chances of grabbing a play-off place more difficult.

Without Barnes' goals and Bridcutt now gone, not to mention the fact midfielder Andrew Crofts is out for the season with a knee injury, the Seagulls may struggle to even get a top-10 place.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Disagree. I think we will be in the top ten (maybe not top six) at the end of the season. Bridcutt was not pivotal for us this season, Barnes was, but only because he was the only forward with two functioning legs for most of the season.

Beagrie also likes Stephens so I'd like to think we have clawed back something in the midfield area.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Not sure I entirely agree with him, bad selling Barnes and Bridcutt maybe but can we have credit for causing half of Charlton's bad by buying Stephens off them? :) Also he seems impressed with Forest buying all the first team forwards in Europe, perhaps he likes sparkly things too.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Love the fact that he puts Brighton and Charlton right next to one another without recognising that Stephens has gone to Brighton. Bit of naive writing there methinks.

I think he's right in one sense - we should have reacted to the loss of Crofts, but face facts, Bridcutt wanted to leave and in Ince we have a replacement.

What we haven't done in my view is strengthened the squad significantly. I don't think we have weakened it.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Two points:

1) I doubt he has ever heard of David Rodriguez.
2) He highlights the loss to Charlton of Dale Stephens. Does he know where he went?!

Let's face it, the chances of Bridcutt happily staying and giving his all were pretty much zip.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not sure I entirely agree with him, bad selling Barnes and Bridcutt maybe but can we have credit for causing half of Charlton's bad by buying Stephens off them? :) Also he seems impressed with Forest buying all the first team forwards in Europe, perhaps he likes sparkly things too.

Quite.

Why are football pundits so green? If I had a squillion quid I could buy all the toys in the shop and impress him too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We're certainly weaker now than we were before January, so he's right, but that's partly because we're shìt out of luck with Crofts' injury. Bridcutt was always going to go and has been treading water all season, so I'm happy that Stephens has come in to strengthen us there.

But selling Barnes was a massive loss. Not much we can do if Burnley offer to double/treble his wages though eh?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
So according to Beagrie Brighton were crazy to let Barnes and Bridcutt go (half right but the club had little choice financially) and Charlton were crazy to let their two star players go. Has he checked where one of those star Charlton players went?

Interesting reading about Birmingham at the bottom of the article. Looks like they're going the same way as us (eventually) by trying to bring through youngsters. Good on them, i hope more championship clubs nurture young talent in order to comply with FFP.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Not saying I agree with Beagrie, but what he may be suggesting is that Stephens is a loss to a bottom-half side like Charlton but not necessarily an asset to a top-half side like Brighton.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Too early to tell. Stephens looks a goodbuy but we ahvent seena nything of Rodriguez yet. If both make a difference and we avoid any more injury crises I think we probably have impoeved on the squad. Bridcutt wasnt playing much and Rodriguez for Barnes.

Stumpy Tim

Articles like this just highlight why clubs are spending so much. Claiming Forest have done so well in the market when they're clearly plying more debt into the club is poor form. The media should be thinking about the long-term aspirations of these clubs, not piling pressure on the more sensible ones (yes, that includes BHAFC) who aren't spending millions we don't have.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Most of what Beagrie writes there is fair enough, although I still think we'll definitely finish in the Top 10, although probably 8th or 9th.

He knows we play one up front and that Barnes used to chip in with goals. Given that he has gone, we haven't signed a similar player (having purchased an out and out striker) and we're unlikely to play 2 strikers he's right to question where the goals are going to come from.

theboybilly

What Barnes goals? I'm sorry but 5 goals (including 2 penalties) doesn't amount to that much of a loss. I'm more concerned about losing Ashley's other skills like holding the ball up while support arrived (average) or his tracking back (poor) I can't see how Albion lost that much really, OG must have realised Mr Barnes wasn't in his plans and got rid. A decent League One striker, a decidedly average Championship one.
Bridcutt? That's another story, but if a bloke wants away it's always best to let him go and get the best deal you can.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here