Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking for a new push bike

Jan 21, 2012
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to get a new push bike but not sure how i can do this in the way that i want to, so i thought i would ask you good people.

I currently have a Scott Scale 60 mountain bike but i really want to get a road bike now. My question is, does anyone know if there are bike shops in the Brighton/Worthing/Littlehampton area that will do a part exchange deal?

Cheers everyone.

theboybilly

I think you'll be lucky to get a part-exchange. Can you just put your bike in Friday Ad? I'm assuming you'll put the money towards a road bike so here's a suggestion (unless you have a specific bike in mind) You may still be able to get very nice 2013 bikes at shops like Evans or (dare I say Carrera at Halfords - much underrated bikes) or even online at Wiggle or Chain Reaction. You may, with a bit of searching, find a brand new 2012 bike at an even bigger discount.
Without knowing your circumstances I could also suggest Cycle2Work scheme if your work is involved in it. Not as good as it was when I used it but still a decent way to buy a new bike.
I'm sure one of the cycle geeks here will give you loads of advice on particular models of bike to consider. How about putting road tyres on your Scott Scale? Even more cost-effective?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i've got a nice one , 27 gears , chamois seat ,gps on the cross bar.......i'll just go and see how big it is.

some ***** nicked it.

Jan 21, 2012
I think you'll be lucky to get a part-exchange. Can you just put your bike in Friday Ad? I'm assuming you'll put the money towards a road bike so here's a suggestion (unless you have a specific bike in mind) You may still be able to get very nice 2013 bikes at shops like Evans or (dare I say Carrera at Halfords - much underrated bikes) or even online at Wiggle or Chain Reaction. You may, with a bit of searching, find a brand new 2012 bike at an even bigger discount.
Without knowing your circumstances I could also suggest Cycle2Work scheme if your work is involved in it. Not as good as it was when I used it but still a decent way to buy a new bike.
I'm sure one of the cycle geeks here will give you loads of advice on particular models of bike to consider. How about putting road tyres on your Scott Scale? Even more cost-effective?

I actually got the Scott on the cycle to work scheme but have since changed jobs and i'm not sure if i can get one through my new work.
i have had a look at the Carrera at Halfords and if i go for one of those then i probably wouldn't need to sell my Scott, but i think i would like something like a Scott road bike because i've been really pleased with the current bike. I have got road tyres on it already but i think i would rather have a road bike now because it is very rare for me to actually take it off road now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If you are willing to travel to Decathlon, they may have something - their 'B'Twin' bikes are good value for money, but not fashionable amongst serious cyclists.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-359113-road-bikes

There are some fantastic deals on 2013 model bikes online (wiggle, evans cycles and chain reaction cycles all have deals on), but I wouldn't have the confidence to buy a bike without sitting on it first - that is really up to you. My brother picked up a decent but old (1984) road bike from a charity shop in Durrington.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I picked up a Ridgeback Flight(2013) on the web for £499, and I've seen them cheaper since. It's a great hybrid/road bike at a bargain price, and I managed to get it through the cycle to work scheme. Well worth a look as it has disc brakes, which make a massive difference if you get caught in the wet

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Try Raleigh in Shoreham

Get a 29er. Perfect for south downs. say Matt Carr - of What Mountain Bike - Shoreham resident

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For the sake of cleaning it up, and mentioning any imperfections, you may be surprised to find that you will get an amazing price by selling the old on EBay. It happened to me with a mountain bike on EBay a couple of years back.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Got a Halfords Careera earlier this month with cycle to work scheme. Bike & accessories cost £350. It will cost me something like £10 per month over the year with cycle to work scheme (employer pays 50% I pay 50% but before tax)

Jan 21, 2012
Got a Halfords Careera earlier this month with cycle to work scheme. Bike & accessories cost £350. It will cost me something like £10 per month over the year with cycle to work scheme (employer pays 50% I pay 50% but before tax)

How do you find the Carrera? That was one of the bikes i was looking at. Is it the Zelos Limited Edition?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Quick resurrection of thread, but have looking for a hybrid bike to join family who now ride bikes to school/park/occasional new forest type stuff and have been tracking these two.
I'm on ipad so can't do direct link but have included item code..

Marin San Rafael 201076930405
and
Scott sub 40. eBay item 331186828971
Both on eBay at £150

Any thoughts or concerns from the wiser amongst us?

Cheers :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quick resurrection of thread, but have looking for a hybrid bike to join family who now ride bikes to school/park/occasional new forest type stuff and have been tracking these two.
I'm on ipad so can't do direct link but have included item code..

Marin San Rafael 201076930405
and
Scott sub 40. eBay item 331186828971
Both on eBay at £150

Any thoughts or concerns from the wiser amongst us?

Cheers :)
If only NSC had some kind of central cycling hub.
A collective of 'wiser' cyclists with years of experience, on the road, in retail, and even professional.

I wonder what the collective noun would be for a group of passionate cyclists?

Cycling geeks has a nice ring to it.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
If only NSC had some kind of central cycling hub.
A collective of 'wiser' cyclists with years of experience, on the road, in retail, and even professional.

I wonder what the collective noun would be for a group of passionate cyclists?

Cycling geeks has a nice ring to it.

Mr Stat, i looked for it in 'other' also done a board search for 'Marin' and 'trek' and 'carrera' and couldn't find it (all ipad/tapatalk i should add)

Edit, i found the the cycle geeks thread, but scan of first posts seemed about fantasy cycle, certainly not 'what bike should i buy?' stuff - Pollute that thread, or continue existing one..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here