Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dawlish Railway Line

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having seen the video of the unsupported railway line near Dawlish, surely that is an ideal job for International Rescue!!!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've travelled on that line many times. It's dreadful how it has just collapsed where the sea wall has gone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i stood on that station platform last year...its a very picturesque bit of track hugging the coastline and in and out of small tunnels ...teignmouth to dawlish and beyond

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
They shouldn't have closed the alternative route from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton. Parts of it are still operational (Exeter to Okehampton and Bere Alston to Plymouth) and they have recently been talking of extending eastwards from Bere Alston to Tavistock. That would only leave Tavistock to Okehampton to be reinstated and they'd have an alternative route well away from the coast.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Minimum 6 months if it is anything like what has happened to the North Wales railway line.

Tragedy as very scenic and iconic bit of railway line.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The sea crashes over that wall onto the track at high tide when the sea is only choppy. The storm down here last night was biblical so no real surprise that the wall finally gave way but still shocking.
If nobody has seen it yet watch the news or video of Porthleven and watch a wave strip the tiles off a roof.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Dawlish doesn't even sound like a real place.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Always wanted to ride the train along there!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think there was a villain in Harry Potter called Dawlish.

Karma.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Used to go to uni in Plymouth and if it's the bit I'm thinking of, it was my favorite part of the journey. Really sad, and going to cost the area a fortune in the long run

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Seems like a bit of an overreaction to close the line

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Been on that line a few times as well, down to Teignmouth just after it.

Scary. Can you imagine how bad that would have been if a train had been on it or just before it when it all gave way in that storm...

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The lines still there, whats the problem?

article_img.jpg

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Nowhere near the same scale, but the line between Bexhill and St Leonards was closed yesterday afternoon and evening due to the severe high tide. "Shingle on the line" I was told.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here