Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bose Sound dock or better?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
My Bose Sounddock which is about 8 years old has stopped working,
It still charges but no sound, A bose fixed price repair is £99 cost of a new one £169.

Any ideas of a better system than Bose?

I use it every day so I am lost without it,

I have taken it apart as per google and the speaker ribbon is still in
ipod has been reset and different ipod tried.

....any suggestions or ideas

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My Bose Sounddock which is about 8 years old has stopped working,
It still charges but no sound, A bose fixed price repair is £99 cost of a new one £169.

Any ideas of a better system than Bose?

I use it every day so I am lost without it,

I have taken it apart as per google and the speaker ribbon is still in
ipod has been reset and different ipod tried.

....any suggestions or ideas

I was well impressed with a friends wireless Sonos set up. http://www.sonos.com/

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've recently entered the world of Sonos and it is astounding, particularly if paired with a service such as Spotify or Deezer.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Another recommendation for Sonos. Especially with spotify premium. Great sound quality and you can add to it as you need around the house.

c2duns

Feb 23, 2009
Hi my Soundock stopped working last year and I had it repaired by following company Invebo.com and it now sounds better than ever.Paid an extra £10 to upgrade it to charge my iphone too ( as iphone 4 onwards didn't charge on my original unit). The customer service is absolutely brilliant too I had various email exchanges with them regarding diagnosing the problem and repair options.
Have a look at their site re repair options I guarantee they have an option that will get it working again. Highly recommend you give them a try

Good luck !

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Another Sonos recommendation from me, it's very easy to set up and control. NAS and Sonos bridge connected to wifi router and all of the music I own is instantly available. I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality from the Play-3 too. But be warned, they multiply; one just isn't enough. I've added a Play-5 and still want more!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you want sound QUALITY then it's Bose all day long
Blimey. Not something I see very often.

Bose's number one quality, is it's marketing department. Although, to be fair, they have one hell of a budget. Their products don't sound awful, but they don't sound as good as the competitors when at a similar price point. They succeed by making lifestyle products that sound good enough, safe in the knowledge that their market are not audiophiles.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Blimey. Not something I see very often.

Bose's number one quality, is it's marketing department. Although, to be fair, they have one hell of a budget. Their products don't sound awful, but they don't sound as good as the competitors when at a similar price point. They succeed by making lifestyle products that sound good enough, safe in the knowledge that their market are not audiophiles.

Very much this, however I found the same true with Sonos. (I know that's gonna get me a kick-in here)
I spent an hour or so in John Lewis playing about with the Sonos stuff and failed to get it to sound at all sharp, the bass was loose and the top end somewhat lifeless. They seemed pretty well put together and didn't sound terrible just pretty average.
I would suggest maybe having a look at the Beoplay A8 or the B&W Zeppelin if you want a docking speaker unit.
Certain systems suit different genres in how the sound is reproduced. I would give different recommendations for someone that listens to classical to that of someone that listens to death metal.
Alternatively have you considered having a basic dock wired through a real stereo.
I think audio is something of personal preference so would recommend trying some systems out to see which one your ears prefer.
Hope you have a good time deciding which to go for and hope it sounds awesome. :)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The Arcam rCube got amazing reviews but I've never heard it in action. I've got a Zeppelin and it's pretty damn good.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If you want to bust your budget, look at this guy - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HD44STPMX.htm

I've got my sky boxes, DVD and Revo running XBMC available in all rooms using Cat6 and this fella. Bit of an arse to get working, not least as you have to cable the house but once in is absolutely brilliant, and the only box in any room is an amp in the main lounge......

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
Another vote for Sonos here ! Only downside to it is can't listen to the Brighton Match due to BBC not allowing it so still have to use my old radio for that unless anyone on hear knows any tricks around it ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you want to bust your budget, look at this guy - http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HD44STPMX.htm

I've got my sky boxes, DVD and Revo running XBMC available in all rooms using Cat6 and this fella. Bit of an arse to get working, not least as you have to cable the house but once in is absolutely brilliant, and the only box in any room is an amp in the main lounge......
How do you get music in another room - a Revo?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here