Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CHEAP red wine

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Any recommendations on the best red wine I can get for a budget of 6 quid MAX. I hear Aldi don't try to con people?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Aldi try and con you if you use their car park !

Regardless, my local Offie does two bottles of Italian red for £6 which isn't too bad at all. Sainburys own brand Merlot isn't pretty decent at a fiver as well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Aldi have a very good Toro for four quid or less. They also do a Reserva Toro from the same producer for £5, which is excellent.
Beyond that, the best region to look for for value is called Campo de Borja, which is a tiny denomination next to rioja. They produce really good wine from Tempranillo (this is the main grape in Rioja) and Garnacha (a.k.a. Grenache, which is the main grape in Cotes du Rhone). Most supermarkets will have one. Beyond that, I always find Montepulciano d'Abruzzo or reds from southern Italy -- especially Puglia and Sicily -- to be consistent.
I spent too many years working in and writing for the wine biz for what it's worth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bear in mind that a £6 bottle of 14% red wine is worth exactly £3, as there is £3 tax and duty on that bottle. A £5 bottle is actually £2.17 worth of wine. As the old adage goes, you get what you pay for.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Have a look at home delivery companies as you can get wine by the case (dangerous I know) for between £5-£8 a bottle and it is of a much higher quality than you'd get in a supermarket for the same price. Virgin Wines and Laithwaites are two of the biggest and you'll get discount codes online somewhere. Smaller companies might give you a bit more variety though. You'll also get a lot of great boutique wines in your case that you'll never find in a supermarket as they don't/can't produce enough to fill shelves.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Any recommendations on the best red wine I can get for a budget of 6 quid MAX. I hear Aldi don't try to con people?

I started drinking red wine a few months ago. Was doing two to three bottles a day and it turned my shit totally black. Haven't drunk it since as I hear to much iron which is in red wine is bad for you.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was doing two to three bottles a day and it turned my shit totally black. Haven't drunk it since as I hear to much iron which is in red wine is bad for you.

I think you'll find it's the 2 to 3 bottles a day that's bad for you :eek:

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Rude wines who are an online wine company do some great deals. I bought a very pleasant mixed case just before the festive season for £45 (12 bottles). The wines were decent and the case is usually double that but they had an offer on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here