[Official Site] Albion Tackling Homophobia

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
amex-l229-1274082_478x359.jpg

PUBLISHED
15:27 5th February 2014
by James Hilsum
The fight for equality goes on in many areas, and it’s up to football to do its bit to make sure it’s consistent with the rest of society"
Graeme Le Saux
The FA, along with former England international Graeme Le Saux, visited the American Express Community Stadium last week to see how the club is tackling the issue of homophobia.Le Saux joined Security Manager, Chris Baker and supporters' club members Liz Costa and Sarah Watts, to discuss the best ways to combat the issue going forward as part of the FA’s anti-homophobia campaign.
Costa highlighted the homophobic abuse Albion fans have been suffered over the years, “It is something we’ve been subjected to for so long and it’s discrimination.
"Racial abuse is against the law so why should homophobic abuse be tolerated?
“It’s safe to assume that a number of the supporters here are gay. We don’t know and we don’t care, but why should we or they be subjected to abuse which is unwarranted? They are football fans and that’s all that matters.”
Event safety officer Chris Baker believes attitudes are now changing and that football clubs in general are more committed to dealing with this form of discrimination.
He added, “"Through my experience working at other clubs I was aware that Brighton often contacted clubs to ask them to take action against fans using homophobic abuse, indeed I was one such Safety Officer.
"Many clubs felt uncomfortable with this and questioned how they could deal with so many fans chanting the same thing especially when Brighton fans were known to respond in large numbers.
"This year, with support from the FA, clubs seem more confident and have been in contact with me to ask for advice and we are seeing a more consistent level of action taken".
le-saux-l229-1341204.jpg

Former England international Graeme Le Saux at the Amex
Le Saux also praised Albion’s commitment to dealing with the problem, but believes there is still a long way to go until the issue is eradicated.
“I think the Football Association and football clubs in general have become much less tolerant of the abuse that goes around.
“The great thing about today is that it takes everyone to sign up to the same principles. Brighton are a fantastic example about how you can achieve some great outcomes if you all work together to do that.
“The fight for equality goes on in many areas, and it’s up to football to do its bit to make sure it’s consistent with the rest of society.”
Tickets for Albion's next four home games available now online, at the Amex Ticket Office or via the telephone on 08443271901.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here