Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is what's left of the 'West Pier' worth saving?

Is the West Pier worth saving?

• It's a fine part of Brighton's heritage. Save it

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Let time and nature decide. Leave it

Votes: 109 50.0%
  • It's an eyesore. Remove it

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • Don't know / don't care

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No one here on the WPT then? Would make for a top notch binfest.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
The skeletal structure has become more iconic of Brighton than the original, arson and nature has turned the desolate building into a work of art.

250px-Brighton_West_Pier,_England_-_Oct_2007.jpg

Very well said couldn't agree more. Regardless of the weather, sunny, foggy etc what it is left of it I think is iconic. It should be left and when it's gone it's gone. Which for me will be a great shame but better that than people bugger about with it or worse still remove it and build palace pier part 2

grumpyoldgit

Mar 29, 2012
What happened to the money they used to collect in the pubs in Brighton on a Friday night when everyone was pissed.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
er.... just reading The Argus, a large chunk of it has just collapsed, so much for that then.

2852531.jpg

Has it got an accompanying quote today from a shady spokesman for the WPT saying; "We're still on course for a full restoration" ? :lol:

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be honest nature, fires, etc will take their course and this will fall into the sea at which point I guess those who wanted it gone have won and the City has lost what could have been a long standing and well known historic structure.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Really gutted to see this news - was inevitable. By far my favorite structure in Brighton - something quite liberating in seeing a structure stripped to its skeleton yet defying the force of nature for decades. I absolutely condemn the government for not maintaining this - beautiful heritage sight for sussex and will be missed by many. How can we not find the cash to preserve it? A friend of mine once suggested turning it into a massive green house covered by glass, would have looked stunning. My favorite thing is sussex to photograph is now on its last legs : (

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Still hoping against all hope, I suppose, that this once beautiful Pier will somehow be rebuilt.

grumpyoldgit

Mar 29, 2012
What happened to the money they used to collect in the pubs in Brighton on a Friday night when everyone was pissed.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Let the grand old Victorian lady of Brighton drift back into the sea. It's iconic and frankly down right beautiful.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat

Thankyou , if it was'nt for people like you i would have never been able to afford my london waterside penthouse weekend retreat .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
There is something beautiful about the skeletal structure - a piece of art that no-one commissioned, almost creating itself. I wouldn't have minded keeping that in perpetuity.

But 40 years of local inertia, confusion and obstinacy have meant that, eventually, even that will disappear naturally.

Yes, the skeleton around the time of the fire was amazing, but i'm not sure what they could have done to preserve that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Best to just leave it now and let the sea reclaim it.

Spending loads on demolishing it would be pointless as it will eventually be gone, especially after the "major" collapse this morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here