Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is what's left of the 'West Pier' worth saving?

Is the West Pier worth saving?

• It's a fine part of Brighton's heritage. Save it

Votes: 51 23.4%
  • Let time and nature decide. Leave it

Votes: 109 50.0%
  • It's an eyesore. Remove it

Votes: 54 24.8%
  • Don't know / don't care

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Declared unsafe and closed in 1975, it has been left to nature to decide its fate over the past four decades.

A potted history, courtesy of Wikipedia...

The West Pier was opened in 1866 with a length of 1115 feet, and built with cast iron threaded columns screwed into the seabed. The pier did not have much of a superstructure until 1893 when a pier head was extended and a pavilion added. A concert hall was added in 1916 and a new top-deck entrance in 1932. In 1965 the pier was bought by a company that owned some seafront hotels and entertainment venues. They had ambitions for the pier but as maintenance costs increased the pier was closed in 1975 when Brighton Corporation declined to buy it and the pier passed into the hands of the Crown Estates Commissioners. A trust was formed to save the pier and in 1984 they bought it for a nominal sum.

The West Pier had been cut off from the shore (partly deliberately, for safety reasons) since the early 1990s. A break was also caused by high winds in 1987, but the West Pier trust offered regular tours of it until the structure suffered a serious partial collapse during a storm on 29 December 2002, when a walkway connecting the concert hall and pavilion fell into the sea. On 20 January 2003 a further collapse saw the destruction of the concert hall in the middle of the pier. On 28 March 2003 the pavilion at the end of the pier caught fire. Firefighters were unable to save the building from destruction because the collapsed walkway prevented them from reaching it. The cause of the fire remains unknown, since fire investigators were unable to access the site for safety reasons. On 11 May 2003, another fire broke out, consuming most of what was left of the concert hall. The fire re-ignited on 12 May. Arson was suspected: the West Pier Trust refers to the fires as the work of "professional arsonists". Suggested beneficiaries to ending any possible development of the West Pier either local residents who objected to a new development on the sea front, or the threat of competition to the lucrative Palace Pier's business.

On 23 June 2004 high winds caused the middle of the pier to collapse completely. Despite all these setbacks, the West Pier Trust remained adamant that they would soon begin full restoration work. Finally, in December 2004, the Trust conceded defeat, after their plans were rejected by the Heritage Lottery Fund, in part because of problems with achieving the required "matched funding" from outside sources. Subsequent plans to restore only the oldest, structural parts of the pier were eventually rejected by English Heritage. In September 2005 the Trust revealed in their newsletter that they were forming further plans to rebuild the original structure with help from private funding.

The pier was partially demolished in February 2010, mainly to make way for the new i360 observation tower, and for some safety concerns. In February 2014 due to stormy weather the pier split in half and a large part of the centre fell into the sea.

Should nature continue to do its job, or should the money be finally spent on its restoration/re-building?

Poll to follow.

Declared unsafe and closed in 1975, it has been left to nature to decide its fate over the past four decades.

A potted history, courtesy of Wikipedia...

The West Pier was opened in 1866 with a length of 1115 feet, and built with cast iron threaded columns screwed into the seabed. The pier did not have much of a superstructure until 1893 when a pier head was extended and a pavilion added. A concert hall was added in 1916 and a new top-deck entrance in 1932. In 1965 the pier was bought by a company that owned some seafront hotels and entertainment venues. They had ambitions for the pier but as maintenance costs increased the pier was closed in 1975 when Brighton Corporation declined to buy it and the pier passed into the hands of the Crown Estates Commissioners. A trust was formed to save the pier and in 1984 they bought it for a nominal sum.

The West Pier had been cut off from the shore (partly deliberately, for safety reasons) since the early 1990s. A break was also caused by high winds in 1987, but the West Pier trust offered regular tours of it until the structure suffered a serious partial collapse during a storm on 29 December 2002, when a walkway connecting the concert hall and pavilion fell into the sea. On 20 January 2003 a further collapse saw the destruction of the concert hall in the middle of the pier. On 28 March 2003 the pavilion at the end of the pier caught fire. Firefighters were unable to save the building from destruction because the collapsed walkway prevented them from reaching it. The cause of the fire remains unknown, since fire investigators were unable to access the site for safety reasons. On 11 May 2003, another fire broke out, consuming most of what was left of the concert hall. The fire re-ignited on 12 May. Arson was suspected: the West Pier Trust refers to the fires as the work of "professional arsonists". Suggested beneficiaries to ending any possible development of the West Pier either local residents who objected to a new development on the sea front, or the threat of competition to the lucrative Palace Pier's business.

On 23 June 2004 high winds caused the middle of the pier to collapse completely. Despite all these setbacks, the West Pier Trust remained adamant that they would soon begin full restoration work. Finally, in December 2004, the Trust conceded defeat, after their plans were rejected by the Heritage Lottery Fund, in part because of problems with achieving the required "matched funding" from outside sources. Subsequent plans to restore only the oldest, structural parts of the pier were eventually rejected by English Heritage. In September 2005 the Trust revealed in their newsletter that they were forming further plans to rebuild the original structure with help from private funding.

The pier was partially demolished in February 2010, mainly to make way for the new i360 observation tower, and for some safety concerns. In February 2014 due to stormy weather the pier split in half and a large part of the centre fell into the sea.

Should nature continue to do its job, or should the money be finally spent on its restoration/re-building?

Poll to follow.

It was but is a lost cause now in my view.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As Rolf would say on Animal Hospital... " Time to put this poor thing out of it's suffering "

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I remember walking on the West pier and it was a fine pier, better than the Palace pier. It would be nice if it could be returned to its former glory but I guess that takes someone with a lot of money.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
leave it to the sea i say. no point spending money to remove whats left.

as i understand it, it cant be restored, because the original design is flawed and wouldnt be considered safe. but the conservation lobby wont allow or fund anything other than a faithfull restoration to the original design. this is how its come to be left to rot in the first place.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Let nature take its course. At least it still gives the birds something to perch on at the moment.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There is nothing left to save, but it could have been. Problem was the planning permission many years ago restricted its use and it had to be rebuilt back to its original state. There was to be NO money making slot machines or a fun fair as per the Palace Pier at the time. So an invester had to pay £15 million for a pier that would have little income. Some would say a good idea but if you were a tourist which pier would you visit? Palace full of fun and noise or West where you can stroll quietly but have to pay about £3 to get on (with no money making machines allowed then an admission fee must be charged).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Build another one to just 100 yards from dieppe and keep them up all night with the sounds of the arcades and dodgems

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's an amazing thing to see nature slowly reclaim this man made relic of a bygone era. There is something completely beautiful about it being stripped to its fundamental structure, and to be able witness this slow passage of time as decay and the ferocity of nature consume it. I genuinely love the skeletal derelict framework, and will be very sad to see if eventually disappear.

If there is any money to be invested, put it into the Palace Pier and the area to the East of it below the wheel which really does need some TLC.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The West Pier Trust have a lot to answer for. It raised funds yet failed to even protect what was left of the West Pier. It has since gone on to flog off most of the salvage (and supposedly treasured) parts of the pier and put it's influence behind an attraction that no one wants (the i360) rather than what it was trusted to do. The West Pier Trust hasn't even been able to save the land end of the pier because it has lost the support of the city and the many of us who once were proud to support the cause.

There was a time when even the skeletal remains of the West Pier would have been worth cherishing and preserving in some way but that time is now gone. The West Pier is lost and today it now stands as an ugly reminder of the failure of those who still claim to be saving it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The skeletal structure has become more iconic of Brighton than the original, arson and nature has turned the desolate building into a work of art.

250px-Brighton_West_Pier,_England_-_Oct_2007.jpg

It's an amazing thing to see nature slowly reclaim this man made relic of a bygone era. There is something completely beautiful about it being stripped to its fundamental structure, and to be able witness this slow passage of time as decay and the ferocity of nature consume it. I genuinely love the skeletal derelict framework, and will be very sad to see if eventually disappear.

If there is any money to be invested, put it into the Palace Pier and the area to the East of it below the wheel which really does need some TLC.

There is something beautiful about the skeletal structure - a piece of art that no-one commissioned, almost creating itself. I wouldn't have minded keeping that in perpetuity.

But 40 years of local inertia, confusion and obstinacy have meant that, eventually, even that will disappear naturally.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The West Pier Trust have a lot to answer for. It raised funds yet failed to even protect what was left of the West Pier. It has since gone on to flog off most of the salvage (and supposedly treasured) parts of the pier and put it's influence behind an attraction that no one wants (the i360) rather than what it was trusted to do. The West Pier Trust hasn't even been able to save the land end of the pier because it has lost the support of the city and the many of us who once were proud to support the cause.

There was a time when even the skeletal remains of the West Pier would have been worth cherishing and preserving in some way but that time is now gone. The West Pier is lost and today it now stands as an ugly reminder of the failure of those who still claim to be saving it.

Indeed they do: & doubtless a number of other members of the funny handshake brigade too...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just leave it. I think let it fade is fitting now and I agree with Mustafa's post that the skeleton has become iconic of itself. Sadly the buffoons at the West Pier Trust put paid to a restoration years ago.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is something beautiful about the skeletal structure - a piece of art that no-one commissioned, almost creating itself. I wouldn't have minded keeping that in perpetuity.

But 40 years of local inertia, confusion and obstinacy have meant that, eventually, even that will disappear naturally.

Was it not you who posted something about the accounts of The West Pier Trust in which it seemed that there was a committee earning quite a pay packet for endless meetings about meetings ? Some people have cleaned up the West Pier already.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Although the skeleton could have been claimed to be iconic, there is so little left that she deserves a good final send-off.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Was it not you who posted something about the accounts of The West Pier Trust in which it seemed that there was a committee earning quite a pay packet for endless meetings about meetings ? Some people have cleaned up the West Pier already.

Not me.

Wouldn't mind finding out. I think [MENTION=1425]Oscar[/MENTION] (post above) is bang on the money regarding the WPT needing to justify itself.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Not me.

Wouldn't mind finding out. I think [MENTION=1425]Oscar[/MENTION] (post above) is bang on the money regarding the WPT needing to justify itself.

Maybe you could pop up to that Hall on Queens Road & ask a few awkward questions? I've no doubt they'll provide you with both a warm welcome & absolute transparency in the information they share. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here