Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Denis Mortimer

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Old timers will remember that we signed Denis soon after he was captain of Villa and winning the then European Cup, he made some great goals for Frank Worthington. Who is there about now with comparative skill and experience that we could perhaps bring in to help us score more goals?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
For a minute there I thought Dennis was no more:ohmy:
You have sidelined 90 percent of the current fans with that question:eek:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Trouble is that the Prem league players are paid so much that veteran players seem to prefer to boost their pension funds than drop down the leagues.

I suppose Darren Anderton was one of the last to play at a lower level but, as you know, it was not so unusual in the old days. We had Bobby Smith in div 4 not long after he had been England Centre forward and this could be a good thread of old greats who played at lower level. I remember Bobby Charlton & Nobby Stiles, world cup winners, playing for Preston, Alec young, the golden Boy of Everton, playing for Stockport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trouble is that the Prem league players are paid so much that veteran players seem to prefer to boost their pension funds than drop down the leagues.

I suppose Darren Anderton was one of the last to play at a lower level but, as you know, it was not so unusual in the old days. We had Bobby Smith in div 4 not long after he had been England Centre forward and this could be a good thread of old greats who played at lower level. I remember Bobby Charlton & Nobby Stiles, world cup winners, playing for Preston, Alec young, the golden Boy of Everton, playing for Stockport.

You are right about the money aspect but there are players who want to continue playing as long as possible eg Kevin Phillips but is there a simiar minded midfielder not the answer but Edgar Davids has just packed up playing at 40 Teddy Sheringham played until nesrly that age. Stanley Matthews played until 47 but football was different in those days.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Brilliant penalty taker as well.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
You are right about the money aspect but there are players who want to continue playing as long as possible eg Kevin Phillips but is there a simiar minded midfielder not the answer but Edgar Davids has just packed up playing at 40 Teddy Sheringham played until nesrly that age. Stanley Matthews played until 47 but football was different in those days.

Chris Waddle played for Burnley when they were in League 2, and Peter Beardsley had a spell with Hartlepool.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Old timers will remember that we signed Denis soon after he was captain of Villa and winning the then European Cup, he made some great goals for Frank Worthington. Who is there about now with comparative skill and experience that we could perhaps bring in to help us score more goals?
I'm not an old timer :rant: (although I did have to be reminded he played for us :) ) Remember Frank Worthington playing for us though.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Very relieved to see Mr Mortimer is still in the land of the living! Villa legend (obviously) & used to come in & coach at my Mum's school in Brierley Hill. I think he was working for WBA's Community Team. A really smashin' guy by all accounts.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We could do with somebody like Frank Lampard not getting a new contract at Chelsea and saying he has made his money and just wants to keep playing What about somebody like David Bentley could he do the job of providing Ulloa with goal chsnces?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I remember his season with us, decent player. I recall we had Alan Biley, Dean Saunders, Martin Keown and Gary O'Reilly with us at around the same time. That was a decent side.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales

Eh? How can that be, they never played together.... Worthington played for us in 84/85, Mortimer 85/86!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Grahame Cross was one who always comes to mind
literally head and shoulders .......in both ways

Dennis Burnett was not bad either

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was fairly sure that it was Worthington who Mortimer made the goals for but could be mistaken over which striker it was. If not Frank who was it?

Just checked wiki and that is right they didnt play together. Memory is playing tricks so who was the striker in 85/86?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was fairly sure that it was Worthington who Mortimer made the goals for but could be mistaken over which striker it was. If not Frank who was it?

Saunders and Connor were the goal kings of 84/85.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
According to wiki Saunders was 86/87 and Connor was with us 84 to 87. So who was 85/86 season strikers.?

Oops, I meant Saunders and Connor were the main strikers of 1985/86.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Wasn't big Justin around about that time too?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here