Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham set to become owner of the 22nd MLS team

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
News conference to be held tomorrow in Miami. Currently 19 MLS teams - New York City FC became the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] club last year with Orlando City becoming the 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. The earliest the club will play in the League will be 2016 assuming a site can be agreed for a new stadium – and we all know how long that can take!

MLS is growing rapidly in the States and Beckham’s involvement should only help that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/04/sports/soccer/mls-to-award-david-beckham-a-franchise-in-miami.html?_r=0

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
When will the kit be available? :moo:

Oct 25, 2003
One thing, I AM slightly dubious that having 2 new york/new jersey teams will work out. I'm not basing my opinion on much other than having 2 teams in LA hasn't worked that well, with Chivas getting poor crowds. Im sure you'd have better insight lyndhurst

Oct 25, 2003
The league really did take off when Beckham went there. All the expansion teams have worked out, higher calibre players are going there and the standard has improved. I can see his name attached to a team would be a big bonus and they'll do well, bearing in mind the previous Miami side folded

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
When I was in Fort Lauderdale in September there was an article in the newspaper that Beckham was in Miami the week previous checking out potential sites for the new stadium development.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One thing, I AM slightly dubious that having 2 new york/new jersey teams will work out. I'm not basing my opinion on much other than having 2 teams in LA hasn't worked that well, with Chivas getting poor crowds. Im sure you'd have better insight lyndhurst

It will be interesting.

As the Red Bulls are based in Harrison, New Jersey they attract a lot of support from NJ as well as NYC. NYCFC are planning to be located in the Bronx and will be aiming for their main support from Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. They will use Yankee Stadium as a temporary home. As they have the backing of the Yankees and Man City they will have quite a bit of financial clout. I think given the demographic of NYC, with a large Latino population there should be enough support for both teams. But, we will see

There will be a similar issue in Florida with both Beckham’s new team and Orlando FC both looking for supporters.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
A 25K seater stadium. A huge Hispanic population in the area who love Soccerball. Brand Beckham behind it all and a place for Europe's great players to get one last pay day in the sun before they retire. Sounds like a good plan.

Oct 25, 2003
There will be a similar issue in Florida with both Beckham’s new team and Orlando FC both looking for supporters.[/QUOTE]

Quite. Also worth noting that Florida has had two MLS teams in the past (miami/tampa bay) and both folded. Might be a bit much for two teams to start up in the same area in a small time period. I'd expect Miami, with Becks, to be the bigger of the two

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I hope they import some good old fashioned football hooliganism to NYC and run rampage down Madison Avenue on derby days.

Joke.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There will be a similar issue in Florida with both Beckham’s new team and Orlando FC both looking for supporters.

Quite. Also worth noting that Florida has had two MLS teams in the past (miami/tampa bay) and both folded. Might be a bit much for two teams to start up in the same area in a small time period. I'd expect Miami, with Becks, to be the bigger of the two[/QUOTE]

Fight fight fight fight...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I hope they import some good old fashioned football hooliganism to NYC and run rampage down Madison Avenue on derby days.

Joke.

The extent of football hooliganism in the States is both sets of supporters saying “you suck” to each other. It can be a bit sanitised.

I don’t miss the hooliganism but I do miss the banter, witty repartee and energy you get at a British football match.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The extent of football hooliganism in the States is both sets of supporters saying “you suck” to each other. It can be a bit sanitised.

I don’t miss the hooliganism but I do miss the banter, witty repartee and energy you get at a British football match.

When I watched the Sounders play, the fans there seemed to embrace a more European Ultras supporting style. It was fun in its own way, but definitely not English football.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
If it's Beckham linked then it's to do with the good of football, the country and the universe in general. Nothing whatsoever to do with his ego and bank balance.

beckham-red-card.png

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So it seems he gets to buy a franchise at a discount then ? How nice. I'm pretty sure though that this will just be another publicity machine for The Brand rather than any genuine attempt at owning/managing. I'm sure it will work out that he will have little running of the hard graft of the daily affairs of the franchise, after all you can't shift many watches and designer suitcases from an office under the West Stand now can you ?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Isn't new york about 3 times the size of LA, with a lot of surrounding population as well?

I've always been an admirer of David Beckham, and one day I hope to be given the chance to manage at a great Club like Miami.

Gus Poyet, 2016

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here