Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Froch vs Groves Rematch

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Gone a bit quiet over the last few days, last week Eddie Hearn said they were close to agreeing a fight on 31st May at an as yet unamed football stadium.

Will it happen? I'm not so sure now, morally for the sake of the sport Froch should fight Groves again as the end of last fight was questionable, but in this day and age do those values really cut any ice any more?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I would expect an announcement at latest by the end of the month. For me Froch has three options:-

Groves rematch - Definitely the most lucrative, and his chance to clear up any controversy.

Chavez Jnr - The lowest risk matchup for Froch with the added incentive of Las Vegas and a more than sizeable purse.

Golovkin - The 3rd and least likely option. Golovkin is the main man at Middleweight and based on Froch's most recent performance, you would make Golovkin a strong favourite.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I seem to remember reading the fight could take place in a Football stadium up north - Old Trafford touted as a possible venue.
Would Froch vs Groves generate enough interest for the fight to be held in a 80,000 seater stadium?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I seem to remember reading the fight could take place in a Football stadium up north - Old Trafford touted as a possible venue.
Would Froch vs Groves generate enough interest for the fight to be held in a 80,000 seater stadium?

With a decent undercard I reckon they could shift 50,000. Apparently Eddie Hearn has offered Amir Khan 5 million pounds to fight Kell Brook, that as a joint main event or chief support would be superb. And with Khan potentially losing the Mayweather fight to Maidana the Brook fight could become an attractive option for him.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The IBF have ordered a rematch otherwise Froch gets stripped of the title.

They did some interviwes on talksport the other day and the more you hear from Froch and matchroom the more you realise how full of shit they are. Froch was banging on about what a good deal they'd offered before the mandatory rematch was announced and how Groves was going to lose money by not taking it but when Groves came on and replied he said it was attached to signing a contract with matchroom!
Groves also said that as it was mandatory matchroom didn't necessarily have to be the promoter, so that might be why eddie hearn has gone a bit quiet.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I thought they were instructed to have a rematch regardless? I may have that wrong of course.

Personally, I felt really sorry for Groves after the last one as he was on top but I also don't think the fight was stopped unfairly, which I'm very aware puts me in a minority situation.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With a decent undercard I reckon they could shift 50,000. Apparently Eddie Hearn has offered Amir Khan 5 million pounds to fight Kell Brook, that as a joint main event or chief support would be superb. And with Khan potentially losing the Mayweather fight to Maidana the Brook fight could become an attractive option for him.

By far Khan's best option, rather than getting humiliated by Mayweather, £5million for a fight he can win IMHO. As for Groves he should bite the bullet and have what's on the table, as he will beat Froch this time and then be quids in.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
PHP:
By far Khan's best option, rather than getting humiliated by Mayweather, £5million for a fight he can win IMHO. As for Groves he should bite the bullet and have what's on the table, as he will beat Froch this time and then be quids in.

Froch v Chavez would be better.

jamesy's

Mar 3, 2009
I believe that Hearn has until the end of the month (if not before) to agree terms. Then it will go out to tender, but still groves will only be entitled to 15%. If this does go ahead (I do hope so) then again I can only see Froch winning again. He nearly always comes on strong in the second half of his fights as he was in the last fight. Yes the ref may have been to quick to stop it. But better a little early than too late. unlike Geral McClelland and many others like him. At lease Groves continue to fight on.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was reading that Frank Warren has made a big offer to Froch for the Groves fight and would put it on at a football ground with Tyson Fury with Chisora to build up sales for the Boxnation channel. I still see Froch weaselling out of a rematch and Groves fighting DeGale in a return for the vacant title

Can you see Degale going back to Warren Ern, however much money he's paying?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here