Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Right oscar if your going to continue playing 4-3-3 here's how it's done!!

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Right the back four picks itself, we need ince holding protecting the back four, then Stephens as your all round player who can tackle , pass, and get forward . Orlandi just off the main striker giving him support. And the key to the formation is the two wingers (pace pace pace)kaz on one side and either solly or buckley on the other that gives us pace and skill on both flanks who can both get forward to support the striker. Then ulloa up top who has all the attributes to play the role as the lone striker .
The way we play it we only offer pace from one wing so makes us predictable and unbalanced , we offer no support for ulloa through the middle. The team is here to get us up the table that's why personally it frustrates me even more every time I see the team sheet .
I will get loads of stick on here saying what do I know but to me it looks bloody obvious that is just needs tweaking and we will get results.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Considering our full backs get forward quite a bit that side is very VERY lightweight defensively with only 3 defensive minded players, one of which (Ince) is FAR better attacking than defending anyway. We'd be on the back foot quite a lot.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
At the moment we our a team that is hard to beat and personally I don't wanna go down that route , let opposition teams worry about us for once.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Right the back four picks itself, we need ince holding protecting the back four, then Stephens as your all round player who can tackle , pass, and get forward . Orlandi just off the main striker giving him support. And the key to the formation is the two wingers (pace pace pace)kaz on one side and either solly or buckley on the other that gives us pace and skill on both flanks who can both get forward to support the striker. Then ulloa up top who has all the attributes to play the role as the lone striker .
The way we play it we only offer pace from one wing so makes us predictable and unbalanced , we offer no support for ulloa through the middle. The team is here to get us up the table that's why personally it frustrates me even more every time I see the team sheet .
I will get loads of stick on here saying what do I know but to me it looks bloody obvious that is just needs tweaking and we will get results.

i must admit that would be my team at home as well

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At the moment we our a team that is hard to beat and personally I don't wanna go down that route , let opposition teams worry about us for once.

It's about getting the balance right, last year we were hard to beat AND played glorious football at times.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I don't think when other teams play us they are frightened off what we we will do to them, there thinking this will be tough and there be hard to brake down.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I think we need at least one of the wide players to be a quick one. When we go with Orlandi and Lopez wide with Ulloa through the middle, the opposition defenders can just push up safe in the knowledge that we won't do them for pace and it compresses the rest of the pitch. As soon as we have KLL or Buckley in the side they drop a bit deeper rather than leave a huge gap for someone to run onto a throughball

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm not going to give you stick, and agree with most of what you say. Here are some basic points:
-- we will play 4-3-3/4-5-1 irrespective of how attached some on NSC are to a 4-4-2 formation
-- given this, it's a question of how the formation is deployed
-- Oscar has introduced some flexibility and, more importantly, fluidity into the system. For instance, Gus' formation was a bit more like a 4-1-4-1, with Bridcutt sitting. There will be no rigid holding player a la Poyet's Bridcutt in Oscar's system.
-- agree with you about pace on the wing. We certainly need to play two quick wingers at home (ie Buckley, KLL, SD*2) if fit...
-- ... the thing that's got most people's goat is Oscar's tactics away from home, where he seems wedded to the idea of starting with no quick wingers. I don't disagree with this, although do note that our away form isn't that bad this season
-- the biggest problem is that Ulloa has been isolated in recent away games. We need the two wide players, two out of the three midfielders and, sometimes even, the full-backs to get forward to the byline or into the box.
That is all.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think we need at least one of the wide players to be a quick one. When we go with Orlandi and Lopez wide with Ulloa through the middle, the opposition defenders can just push up safe in the knowledge that we won't do them for pace and it compresses the rest of the pitch. As soon as we have KLL or Buckley in the side they drop a bit deeper rather than leave a huge gap for someone to run onto a throughball

Agree with all this, as I've elaborated in post 12.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
4-4-3? 'Looks remarkably like 4-1-4-1 to me.* :shrug:

Edit: *Apart from yesterday - which looked suspiciously like 4-5-1

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm not going to give you stick, and agree with most of what you say. Here are some basic points:
-- we will play 4-3-3/4-5-1 irrespective of how attached some on NSC are to a 4-4-2 formation
-- given this, it's a question of how the formation is deployed
-- Oscar has introduced some flexibility and, more importantly, fluidity into the system. For instance, Gus' formation was a bit more like a 4-1-4-1, with Bridcutt sitting. There will be no rigid holding player a la Poyet's Bridcutt in Oscar's system.
-- agree with you about pace on the wing. We certainly need to play two quick wingers at home (ie Buckley, KLL, SD*2) if fit...
-- ... the thing that's got most people's goat is Oscar's tactics away from home, where he seems wedded to the idea of starting with no quick wingers. I don't disagree with this, although do note that our away form isn't that bad this season
-- the biggest problem is that Ulloa has been isolated in recent away games. We need the two wide players, two out of the three midfielders and, sometimes even, the full-backs to get forward to the byline or into the box.
That is all.

Good post. It makes me laugh when people bang on about 442 as if it's going to be like an instant magic wand. A formation is just the framework, it's how the players operate within that framework that matters. To that end the OP is correct, 433 without pace on the wings very easily becomes a 451 with a very isolated Ulloa up front.

Most managers would be looking to switch during a game anyway, you can't go all out attack for 90 minutes. Modern football is about being more flexible and players thinking on their feet during the game, a team that can play like that will always outsmart a rigidly organised team. Unfortunately it's not that easy and you need good players to do it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Don't you think that Oscar would like to have those players available every week too?

sahel

Jan 24, 2014

You are absolutely dead right. That is exactly the team I would play and I would always play 2of Buckley March Lua Luan and Rodríguez (if he is quick). Poyet and Oscar seem to be cut from the same cloth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here