Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tb's pass or fail.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Hi all,

With Tony B's statement at the beginning of the season that top 6 was a pass mark and that outside the play-offs was a fail,it begs the question are Oscar and Nathan certain to be gone if we don't make the top 6?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No. Oscar is safe at least.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't believe for a second Tony Bloom described a finish outside the playoffs as a 'fail', so please point me to a direct quote.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Not a chance. There has been so many injuries it has been impossible to have a settled team.

I honestly believe that with a full pre season a bit more luck & some sensible strengthening we will be a much stronger team next season.

Also the experience the youngsters are gaining from a difficult campaign will also be invaluable & can only bring them on in leaps & bounds.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hi all,

With Tony B's statement at the beginning of the season that top 6 was a pass mark and that outside the play-offs was a fail,it begs the question are Oscar and Nathan certain to be gone if we don't make the top 6?

No, I really doubt they will be gone if we finish outside the top 6.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Not at all. I don't know the exact wording of his statement but I read it as saying that he would view it as a 'failed' season for the club (including himself), not specifically just the management team.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Sorry can't point you to exact quote,but my old memory recalls top 6 as being a pass mark for the season.Which I take to mean he was hosing down automatic promotion,which some of the more gung-ho were predicting.The point being regardless what he said or didn't same word for word how will Tony view the season if we miss out on the top six?My view being that to miss the play-offs narrowly is not a fail,however there is a real danger following our recent form that we could miss out by a considerable margin.Therefore in what final league position would Tony take a long hard look at his coaching team.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't believe for a second Tony Bloom described a finish outside the playoffs as a 'fail', so please point me to a direct quote.

You're correct. To paraphrase what TB said on a SCR phone-in "We may not get there (top 6) - but we will aim high and see where that takes us."

I believe it will take us to 9th or 10th.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really hate the Watford away match.

We are always terrible at that ground, even if we fluke a rare win.

No need for all the towels being thrown in.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Not a chance. There has been so many injuries it has been impossible to have a settled team.

I honestly believe that with a full pre season a bit more luck & some sensible strengthening we will be a much stronger team next season.

Also the experience the youngsters are gaining from a difficult campaign will also be invaluable & can only bring them on in leaps & bounds.

I agree 100% about the youngster getting experience. Solly March has come on so much and is a truly exciting prospect.

I disagree completely that injuries have had a significant impact on our season. Obviously it's not helpful but the problems I saw on Sunday were a lot deeper than that. In short, it isn't a question of the personnel that OG has available, it's what he's doing with them. I'm seeing no width, no pace, and a lack of movement that'll create the space that Ulloa (or any other striker for that matter) needs to be effective.

I'm going to be watching the Doncaster game expecting to see some serious questions answered.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You're correct. To paraphrase what TB said on a SCR phone-in "We may not get there (top 6) - but we will aim high and see where that takes us."

Exactly....as in most things you set targets high (and in this case realistic)..and sometimes finish short...accept lower targets ..and you tend to finish lower still....no where did Bloom state outside top six was a fail.
Most at the end of October had already lowered there sights to mid table ..then we had a good run and rightly thought play offs...now its back to mid table...end of month might see it different..personally i hope we flirt with the play offs until the end..i'll still be going whatever happens

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011

My question remains will 9/10th be considered good enough.I been watching the Albion since 1962 so I've never set my sights to high,but talk of premier ready raises expectations among many.

Aug 23, 2011
My question remains will 9/10th be considered good enough.I been watching the Albion since 1962 so I've never set my sights to high,but talk of premier ready raises expectations among many.

i don't think it will considered good enough per se as everyone is always aiming high however i don't think Bloom is a knee jerk reaction kind of person and probably knows continuity is more productive than hire/fire scenario. The season is nowhere near over so lets wait and see where we finish however I'm sure you can argue a case for this season IF we do finish lower than 6th with the number of key injuries, first season for Oscar etc etc.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
i don't think it will considered good enough per se as everyone is always aiming high however i don't think Bloom is a knee jerk reaction kind of person and probably knows continuity is more productive than hire/fire scenario. The season is nowhere near over so lets wait and see where we finish however I'm sure you can argue a case for this season IF we do finish lower than 6th with the number of key injuries, first season for Oscar etc etc.

Yes I agree the season will I'm sure have more twists and turns.My worry is that the last few years have raised expectations and if we have a bad final third then Tony might be under pressure to make changes.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Yes I agree the season will I'm sure have more twists and turns.My worry is that the last few years have raised expectations and if we have a bad final third then Tony might be under pressure to make changes.

Make changes? Don't be silly he has got us playing like Barca...you should have seen it yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really hate the Watford away match.

We are always terrible at that ground, even if we fluke a rare win.

No need for all the towels being thrown in.

We'd won our last two outings there. Oakwell, Hillsborough & the MKDon's grounds are worse. In fact, we've never even scored a goal at Stadium MK let alone win a game.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'd won our last two outings there. Oakwell, Hillsborough & the MKDon's grounds are worse. In fact, we've never even scored a goal at Stadium MK let alone win a game.

I must be getting confused. Didn't some say they'd never go again after an abysmal performance at Watford in the last 2 years ? Perhaps that was a different opponent, I haven't checked it out.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Lots of knee jerk reactions by some people. Yes we are on a disappointing mini slump at the moment. Oscar and Nathan will still be here at the start of next season. We will not be relegated!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I must be getting confused. Didn't some say they'd never go again after an abysmal performance at Watford in the last 2 years ? Perhaps that was a different opponent, I haven't checked it out.

We won 1-0 last season with a CMS penalty, lost 1-0 the previous season and beat them in the FA cup 1-0, with a Barnes goal 3 years ago. It might have been the loss in 2011 that you were thinking of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here