Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with a problem guys

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Guys I have a dilemma and thought the wise old heads on Nsc might be able to chip in with some good advice.
We had new windows fitted about three weeks ago by a well known national co ,and they sent their fitters round ( contractors )two guys ,and when they left we discovered my sons wallet was missing with all his paper round money which he had been working hard for and been saving up ,nearly £60,and the wallet not worth much was a gift from his grandfather before he died so was sentimental to him.
I rang the guys up ,and thought it a long shot ,and asked if they had scooped it up when they were taking up there dust sheets by mistake ,even though it was heavy and full of coins and on my sons sideboard .
He said he would look through them the next day and ring me back ,which he did and said he had found it ...great !!!.
He said he would pay the money into my account and send the wallet which would be easier.Well this has gone on for three weeks and he keeps making excuses ,saying he has sent it ,paid it in ,then he said I didnt send correct acc no it goes on and on with excuse after excuse.Said he paid it in again this friday and still no money paid in to acc .So when I text him back he said are you calling me a liar ,so things are shifting a bit from being amicable to tense .But I cant see the logic as he said he has it .I have not contacted the company as thought would give him and his mate the benefit of the doubt and some time .
Now my question to you guys is what would you do next and the best procedure ,and is there anything legally which might be worth considering even though all I have is texts from him . It is not just the money now but the principle .:down:Thanks in advance

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would contact the company first thing tomorrow morning and give them the full story and get them to deal with it. The contractors are thieving *******s and should get no more work from the company.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I would contact he's company print out the last months bank statement as proof and go from there. I'm sure for the sake of £60 the company would just want this settled with no bad feelings.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
ring the main company and complain. you have the evidence. blackening his name wont do him any favours re work contracts in the future. don't know re legal stance... fond a friendly copper and ask advice? you've tried the nice approach...you've had nothing back....what have you got to lose (unless you think he would get v nasty...and its not worth it). Other option.. if you knew his details, tell him you will be passing at wkend and will call in and collect the wallet etc

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hopefully the admittance to finding the wallet, and the paying into the account etc, is not just verbal but on the texts.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Did he text you that he had the wallet or was it verbal ?

If verbal I bet he will now deny ever having the wallet

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Guys I have a dilemma and thought the wise old heads on Nsc might be able to chip in with some good advice.
We had new windows fitted about three weeks ago by a well known national co ,and they sent their fitters round ( contractors )two guys ,and when they left we discovered my sons wallet was missing with all his paper round money which he had been working hard for and been saving up ,nearly £60,and the wallet not worth much was a gift from his grandfather before he died so was sentimental to him.
I rang the guys up ,and thought it a long shot ,and asked if they had scooped it up when they were taking up there dust sheets by mistake ,even though it was heavy and full of coins and on my sons sideboard .
He said he would look through them the next day and ring me back ,which he did and said he had found it ...great !!!.
He said he would pay the money into my account and send the wallet which would be easier.Well this has gone on for three weeks and he keeps making excuses ,saying he has sent it ,paid it in ,then he said I didnt send correct acc no it goes on and on with excuse after excuse.Said he paid it in again this friday and still no money paid in to acc .So when I text him back he said are you calling me a liar ,so things are shifting a bit from being amicable to tense .But I cant see the logic as he said he has it .I have not contacted the company as thought would give him and his mate the benefit of the doubt and some time .
Now my question to you guys is what would you do next and the best procedure ,and is there anything legally which might be worth considering even though all I have is texts from him . It is not just the money now but the principle .:down:Thanks in advance

Call his bluff. Tell him that you recorded all of your calls to him ( bluff ) and that you will pass on these recordings along with any text messages to the national company. The texts alone should make it quite uncomfortable for him if he realises the head company is involved.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
What is the company name ?

Think you have a duty to name them, I wouldn't want to use a company that contracts thiefs

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'd tell the company that you are going to the police if he doesn't pay that money back in the next 24 hours.

You are doing everyone a favour - I wouldn't want that bloke working in my or my mums house for example.

About 25 years ago we had a suitcase full of old Albion programmes nicked going back to the 50's - they were my dads.
I was looking forward to going through them all again one day when they became mine but when we cleared out the loft (10 years later) the case was gone and the only people that had ever gone in their was the plumbers that did the central heating - so they must have had them.

I still get wound up about it.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I give him one chance saying if it not paid back the next day your have no other choice but to send the police around to his workplace. as this is now looking more like theft than a mistake.

Edit or as the above

Lush

Mods' Pet
It might be that it's not him but his 'mate' and he is now having trouble getting the money from the mate. Either way, I would politely say that unless you get the money back you really need to 'take this further'. Let them sweat as to whether that means the window company or the police. If you don't get it back then contact the window company. If no joy tell the window company that you will be contacting the police.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not making light of this, but I'm not sure you really have a problem here. Just contact the company as many have said and tell them the situation. Tell them you trust they will resolve the situation for you and if not you will take it further. One piece of advice to add to this though, as well as a phone call/email, write to them, on paper, recorded delivery outlining the situation and request a written response. If it does go further there is no better thing to have on your side than written correspondence. I sincerely doubt it will get much further though. No-one is going to think you are trying to pull a fast one for £60 of paper round money.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Thanks guys .The thing I find baffling is he admitted to having found the wallet the very next day which lulled me into a false sense of security ,because I thought that if he had stolen it or his mate then they would deny it and I would have a job proving it .But he didnt and said he would send it .But as stated he keeps promising and telling me he has sent it etc etc ,there doesnt seem to be any logic in it .I thought perhaps his trainee might have taken it and he had confronted him .I find it strange because he must be on a fair wage and would he risk his contract for £60 ,but perhaps his trainee would .
Th initial conversation where he said he had wallet was by phone ,but the subsequent conversations ie paying the money and sending the wallet are all on text including the threatening one regarding him saying are you calling me a liar .The last text he sent me was on friday morning saying the money had been paid in and it will take 24hrs ,well still no sign of money !!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Definitely phone the company and also your local police force for advice and to let them know - it may not be the first time. Ok, so £60 is not crime of the century, but it's a lot of money to a youngster and is still theft no matter who the money belongs to.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One thing here stands out for me. If I was one of the fitters who had picked up the wallet by " mistake " I would have driven back next day to give it back . Paying back the money by bank transfer and posting back the wallet is a very odd and extremely fishy way of resolving this. View the entire situation with extreme prejudice and escalate this to the company and the police.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here