Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone wonder like me

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
how a couple of weeks ago we were prepared to fork out in excess of £1m on a striker, but failed to sign one in the end ? I hope Senor Sanchez proves to be a bargain, but seems strange to me that two experienced English strikers in Phillips and Connolly (who both bagged today) slipped through our radar. Not suggesting they would be anywhere near the million pound mark, but relevant wages could have been paid, especially in Phillips' case. ???

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We got a striker! The one I'd have like to have seen join was Simeon Jackson. Grabban never inspired me so glad he never joined

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Perhaps we are waiting till the summer, we must have around £2m plus the next season player budget so Oscar decided he has what he needs for now.

If we miss the play-offs so be it, he has done well so far this season with an awful injury crisis at times.

Also maybe he sees something in CMS that the previous manager didn't ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If this lad scores 15 goals between now and the end of the season the chances are it will be the best nothing we have ever spent for a striker as it could clinch us a playoff spot , it could go tits up and he does not click but you can spend millions and that happens. Trust the manager you can bet your bottom dollar he has been tracking the player and his form and availability for ages .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spanish Rodney is here to earn himself a longer contract whereas "Money" Grabban would have been complacent with a big wedge every week and a 3 year deal.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Perhaps we are waiting till the summer, we must have around £2m plus the next season player budget so Oscar decided he has what he needs for now.

If we miss the play-offs so be it, he has done well so far this season with an awful injury crisis at times.

Also loads out of contract in the summer, maybe Oscar will be having a huge clear out regardless so keeping some £££ back to add to next seasons budget as you suggest.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Spanish Rodney is here to earn himself a longer contract whereas "Money" Grabban would have been complacent with a big wedge every week and a 3 year deal.
I would love to have known who were the other strikers on the Burke shortlist, who were between the £1.3 mill Grabban and our cancelled contract senor, that Oscar could have chosen.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
As has been said maybe Oscar is looking to the summer where the players he wants maybe available at a decent price.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I would love to have known who the other strikers on the Burke shortlist, who were between the £1.3 mill Grabban and our cancelled contract senor, that Oscar could have chosen.

I think Wilbraham was on our shortlist but that was back in 2006 :smile:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Like your optimism but i can't see that money going to Oscar next season. The club have got to make further cuts to comply with FFP.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

I agree, it could turn out that we have saved ourselves a lot of money, or at least bought ourselves some good time to think again whilst adding strength to the frontline.

May 18, 2013
Like your optimism but i can't see that money going to Oscar next season. The club have got to make further cuts to comply with FFP.

How do we know how many more cuts need to be made to compley with FFP? What we have been told is that the player budget this season was as good, perhaps a bit better, than last year. Last year we spent £2m on transfer fees this season we've spent nothing execpt some of what's come in this January. If next year's budget is as good as this season's then doesn't that mean we'll have the £2m we've not spent this time, the £3m from Bridcutt and then the £2m of next season's budget. A transfer chest next summer of £7m would dovery nicely...

Jul 7, 2003
how a couple of weeks ago we were prepared to fork out in excess of £1m on a striker, but failed to sign one in the end ? I hope Senor Sanchez proves to be a bargain, but seems strange to me that two experienced English strikers in Phillips and Connolly (who both bagged today) slipped through our radar. Not suggesting they would be anywhere near the million pound mark, but relevant wages could have been paid, especially in Phillips' case. ???

Wish some people would pay attention (and not just the OP). As has been said on other threads, Phillips wanted to move to a midlands team as that is where his family is based. Even if we were interested in the 40 year old striker, we wouldn't have had a chance of signing him.

Dec 29, 2011
What's the obsession with strikers? We have plenty of strikers right now. We need wingers. Quality, consistent, pacey wingers who can cross the ball to our best player.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
We'll of course get told we couldn't sign anybody else due to FFP but the fact we put in these million pound bids and were simply turned down means that it isn't quite the full story.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here