Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt

MorNando

Jan 31, 2014
Hi all, as a sunderland fan I am gob smacked to see the bad blood some of you have towards my club.

I have no real knowledge of the spat between Poyet and your chairman. Nor do I care.

All I know is that Poyet lifted our club from the depths of relegation and took us to a cup final. His record with yourselves is pretty similar looking at it.

I didn't come on here to gloat, just to try and find out a little more about our new player and to find out why you are all so upset.

He is probably playing in a derby today in front of 52,000 fans. Will he have the character to play in such a pressure game?

Even if your replies consist of nothing but abuse, I wish you good luck.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Gobsmacked is one word
If you 'don't care' why are you trying to 'find out a little more '?
You maybe need to understand yourself a little more before trying to understand us

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where's the bad blood - I'm not sure I've seen much, if any at all?

Some will be unhappy with the manner of Bridcutt's departure - all but going on strike over the last month which slightly tarnishes the incredible time he had with us. He appeared to be destined to be a journeyman lower league player when he joined the Albion and he's been turned into the most valuable player we have ever sold, a full International and he's about to start plying his trade in the most exciting league in the world (TM).

Some will be unhappy with Poyet because there was huge amounts of acrimony around his departure. That it escaped you, I guess typifies the attitude of many Premier League fans who seem largely unaware of the 72 clubs knocking around in the Football League. (Until they get relegated back into it, of course).

But most Albion fans will wish Liam Bridcutt well, thinking he deserves a crack at the Premier League. Many Albion fans, despite the manner of his departure, will also wish Gus Poyet well. He's incredibly charismatic and is easy to love when he's at your club. Many Albion fans have moved on - they simply don't care about Poyet one way or another any more.

And, regardless of all of the above, I'm not sure there are many Albion fans who care about Sunderland one way or another - there's no form or history between the clubs. I view Sunderland as a proper football club with a rich history, very much rooted in the local community and with a large and passionate support.

Finally, of course, if you do well, it increases the chances of Palace coming back to where they belong. Good luck against Newcastle and for the rest of the season. Look after Liam - you have a gem there.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
The fact that you don't know about the spat between Poyet and the club is the exact same reason you don't understand the bad feeling.

I am very interested to see how LB gets on. He's always had protection with him in midfield, never fully trusted to protect the defence himself. I wonder if Poyet will give him that protection. If not he may be found out.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I'm sure he will handle the pressure, and to be truthful Bridcutt certainly deserves his chance in the top flight. Reasons for the bitterness will be conjecture and rumour promised as fact. You've got yourself a very good player, who may not be a match winner, but certainly a match saver. He fits in perfectly in the system that Poyet likes to play, although possibly this flatters him to a degree as when asked to do something different he doesn't look as comfortable imo. I think his head was turned last summer when Gus left in all honesty, and handing in transfer requests is never a popular move (although aware that this to a degree works to our benefit), also the press reports of not being "focused" enough to play wasn't received with great aplomb, again how much of this is press or club spin no one will know. Am I sad to see him go? Of course I am player of the year for the past 2 seasons, and such a consistent player. On the flip side I thought I would be a lot more upset, whether this is because Ince has stepped up to the plate as Bridcutt been out injured most of the season, or if it's because of a slight bitter taste, I don't know, maybe a bit of both. What I will say he deserves his chance, I wish him the best of luck and genuinely hopes he succeeds, he will also get a round of applause from me on his return, as long as it's not in the cup this season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Palace said Bridcutt wasn't worth signing. We signed him and sold him for £3.25M. I think he's great.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
Good player, knows the position Poyet will want him to play very well, good tackler and deceptively good in the air for his height.
Negatives, can't pass forward with any real purpose, generally pop's it sideways, backwards (as Poyet wishes him to do) and finally his lack of pace in Powerful Premier League could be his Achilles Heal.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The signing of Bridcutt was a calculated gamble initially. However, his development was aided by having Kishishev to learn from.

Bridcutt is a good player but more of a destroyer, his passing is not always the best and he does play very much like Makelele. He is fantastic in the tackle, rarely dives in and temperament is good. For a small chap his 'spring' is amazing and he wins lots of headers when he should not have a chance. There can be no doubt that he played a key part in our success and deserves a chance at a higher level. As soon as Poyet left it was inevitable he would come in for Bridcutt and I hope he does well.

Good signing and the £3.25m plus add-on's reported down here seems about right to me.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I don't think I have seen a single bad word about Sunderland Football Club, many were pissed off with the saga itself, which effectively meant we had to do without a key player for a month.

Many blame Poyet for blowing a golden chance to get into the Premier League (we were the form side in the division and the other lot scraped in to the play offs with 1 win in 10)

As for Bridcutt, no doubt he is a class player, but the role he plays is MASSIVELY important on Poyets system.

Does he have the talent and temperament to this in a side fighting relegation in the Premier League? Time will tell.

I hope he succeeds as I do Poyet. I still think, had Poyet, the club and the players been united going in to the play offs we would have won the semi, but he produced the best Brighton team I have ever seen.

Oh and please send can you send that mob from the wrong end of the A23 back where they belong :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bridcutt is our Cabaye, a fans favourite who essentially refused to play to force a move. Nobody would deny him the chance but many are bitter about how he went about it and it probably cost us a few quid in his eventual price.

Poyet was terrific here but made far too many come and get me pleas in his last few months here, flirting with Chelsea, Leeds and Spurs like a bashful schoolgirl. Despite this he was backed to the hilt by the club and the fans until a play off defeat to our bitter rivals. He chose that moment not to reflect on his own failings (being tactically and motivationally outdone by that half wit Holloway), but to lay the blame at our door. He had "hit the roof" here. He never did the shit in the Palace dressing room, but he metaphorically did one in ours.

One more thing you should know. Neither Bridcutt or Poyet were anything before we gave them the chance. Poyet was a failed assistant manager looking for his first break as a manager. His appointment was certainly a gamble. Bridcutt was clubless the September after being released by Chelsea after several failed trials with other clubs. Given this they could have left with a little more dignity and respect.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Briducutt's a great player, if watching a someone who has absolutely no natural footballing ability or creative talent and poses zero goal threat floats your boat. However, it's interesting to watch how his collection of 'body art' develops over the season. He hasn't got 'Judus' on his forehead yet.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When are you going to replace all those pink seats in The Stadium of Light? I thought Sunderland played in red!

:wink:

MorNando

Jan 31, 2014
Thanks for the replies. He certainly seems like he could be something we lack. Although we need everything in the midfield at the minute tbh.

The bad blood I mentioned is located in another thread wishing sunderland get relegated.

Anyway good luck in the future.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I don't have ANY bad blood against Poyet, he left our club on bad terms, but I still want him to do really well in his future career.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
OTM sums Bridcutt up very well above. He is Poyet's man and follows his instructions to the letter, he will sit in front of the back four and become the heartbeat of the team. He'll pass to the defenders more than to other players but that usually creates room for him or a colleague to find a player with space on the flanks. You won't get any goals from him but you'll find your possession stats increase and your defenders will gain more more confidence with his calm control assuming he replaces the psycho you have there now. He has great close control and seems to be in the right place to thwart attacks more often that not. As well as a wonderful player, I think you've just purchased your place in the Premier for next season, he is that good (as long as you get goals from the Argies, like we did last season, which Liam won't directly contribute to). Unfortunately I lived with a Geordie STH for a period of years and he brainwashed me into hating everything Sunderland shaped so I hope you lose today but stay up this season thus sending Palace down with Cardiff & Fulham.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Briducutt's a great player, if watching a someone who has absolutely no natural footballing ability or creative talent and poses zero goal threat floats your boat. However, it's interesting to watch how his collection of 'body art' develops over the season. He hasn't got 'Judus' on his forehead yet.

The thoughtful and considered responses on here are more than the disingenuous OP deserved but sum up my feelings well. Bonney on acid on the other hand is being just a little silly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wish LB well but not GP. The acrimonious departure and the fact that he seemed ready to jump ship as early as March and just before a game with our arch rivals really rankles with me. Fans are forever but managers and players are just transient but the manner in which they move on can leave a bad taste in the mouth. Ince did it at West Ham when wearing a Utd shirt before the deal was done and there are plenty of others. Happily, far more players and managers move on without burning bridges.

As for Sunderland, I have no historic dislike for them, however, all the while GP is manager I would like to see them fail. Once he moves on I wouldn't wish them ill, just the team he moves to. In a perfect world, he would manage Palace back to league 1!!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here